A Different Blue A Different Blue discussion

Pamela

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beverly (last edited Jun 08, 2013 02:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beverly This post contains *spoilers*.

I don't want to rewrite this so I'll just repost my questions from my review:

Was I the only one confused about Wilson's relationship with Pamela? I didn't know they were dating until the very end, and even then Wilson never really confirms that they were. I know she was his date for outings, and they went out every now and then, but I thought it was as friends.

Pamela looked at Wilson like she was his girlfriend (when she visited the school), but he never did the same to her. Pamela traveled to her hotels around the world, but did she live in Las Vegas?

Wilson's mom didn't think it was right for Blue to go with him to the family outing thing on the 4th of July because people would assume she was his girlfriend. She also told him he shouldn't be dating Blue. Shouldn't she know that Pamela was his girlfriend if she was?

Also, Wilson's sisters were deliberately trying to set Wilson and Blue up. Tiffa was even surprised when he brought Pamela to Blue's art exhibit. Tiffa was also incredulous when she asked Blue who she thought Wilson was smitten with. She says, "Who did you think I was talking about? Pamela?" I mean, why wouldn't he be smitten with his own girlfriend?

Blue also looked away from the couple when Pamela was about to kiss Wilson, but she didn't exactly see it so how do we know that Pamela really kissed him? Also, every time Blue mentioned Pamela as Wilson's girlfriend, he would just ignore that part of the question. I don't think I recall Pamela ever sleeping over either.

Also, at the end when Blue asks "What about Pamela?" and he says "She kisses like an old woman." I thought he was poking fun about the fact that Blue had previously referred to her as Camilla. Also, shouldn't he have said something like 'I broke up with her.' or something along those lines?

Then at the end, Wilson says, "I told her last night that I was in love with you. Funny thing is, I think she already knew." That doesn't seem like something you just outright tell your girlfriend. Also, he kissed Blue on New Year's twice, so technically he was cheating on his girlfriend. Wilson doesn't seem like the type to go after another girl when he's already dating someone. And when he tells Blue the reasons they can't be together he never mentions Pamela.

I mean, I'm just confused because Wilson never outright says he's dating Pamela, but he never denies it either. His entire family doesn't seem to know if he's dating Pamela and Blue just assumes that they're together.

What are your opinions? Was Wilson dating Pamela or not?

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. This is one of the few times I really wish we could read the book in his POV, he has a lot of stories too apparently.

KimeyDiann Hmm, I didn't really pick up on this. I took it that Pamela and Wilson were dating, but maybe not as seriously as Blue thought. I think that Wilson knew he was not in love with Pamela and that is the reason he ignored Blue's questions about her.

At the 4th of July celebration, Wilson's mother does ask him about Pamela, so she apparently knew they had some sort of relationship... As far as his sisters trying to push him and Blue together, I think that was simply that they also knew Wilson was not in love with Pamela and they could see how he felt about Blue, even if he wasn't willing to admit it to himself.

message 3: by J (last edited Jun 10, 2013 04:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

J I never questioned that Wilson and Pamela were in a dating relationship. I think that is what everyone assumed (including me). But, I did think that the relationship wasn't that serious. She wasn't around that much. I think there was hesitation for the family to push Blue and Wilson together (and for Wilson to think about a relationship) because of the history of their student/teacher relationship.

By the way, I loved this book!! I added to my status update while I was reading "A Different Blue" that I had never, in my whole reading history, wanted an HEA more than I did for Wilson and Blue. I was so happy when it came about.

I just finished "Running Barefoot" also by Amy Harmon. I gave it 4.5 stars instead of the 5 I gave to "A Different Blue" but it was a great read also. She is such a great writer.

Rachelle Ayala I definitely thought Pamela was more than a friend. She was at Wilson's apartment a lot, and it even appears she spent the night there a few times, or at least Blue thought she did. She didn't live there, since she worked at a hotel somewhere, so I assumed when Pamela was there, she stayed with Wilson.

I don't assume they necessarily had sex, but she was Wilson's default date of choice even to the art exhibit that Tiffa gave Wilson two tickets to, and Tiffa assumed Wilson would ask Blue to the event. He and Pamela pretty much ruined Blue's victory at the art exhibit where she was supposed to make a big splash and find out he loved her [as Tiffa had planned].

So, even though I loved the story, I felt Blue settled a little too quickly. She deserves more than a somewhat lukewarm fellow who confesses his "love" in reference to what he tells Pamela, whether she's his friend or girlfriend doesn't matter.

If I were Blue, would have felt left out to know that Wilson discussed his feelings with Pamela before telling me. So yeah... the romance side wasn't as satisfying as the personal growth, identity discovery and tremendous journey Blue made as a woman and as an artist.

I believe Wilson was sincere, but I would have liked the hero to have more fire and passion when declaring his love.

WonderGoon Pamela thought they were in a relationship, but Wilson clearly didn't want that relationship. Pamela obviously loved Wilson and thought they should be together, but, Wilson clearly didn't feel the same way. He avoided talking about Pamela since, in his mind, it was obvious they weren't dating and Blue should have picked up it.

Still, Wilson *should have* cleared it up, but then, there wouldn't be the drama and the hand wringing of 'when are they getting together?' from the readers. In short, its a literary device to build tension in a personal relationship. Well executed, I would say.

Loved the book and her other book, "Running Barefoot." Highly recommend both.