Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Name of author in Hindi and English.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments No, there should be separate entries for each, if the book has not been translated then we don't need the English version but I know some people have complained that if the English name is not on some of the Hindi, Urdu books then people who do not know these languages cannot find them (although why some one who does not read Urdu or Hindi would be looking for a non translated book I don't know)at least that has been the reasoning I have received when pm'ing librarians not to do this

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) | 849 comments Oh then there are MANY of those over here. :/
And most books haven't been translated at all, still they have entries in english.

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) | 849 comments Will try separating them :/

message 5: by Vaibhaw (last edited Aug 14, 2014 08:05AM) (new)

Vaibhaw Chandel | 2 comments I was also wondering what is the correct format to maintain an author's profile who writes in Indian languages say Hindi or Urdu.
In case of books we can put the transliterated name in square brackets (which helps in finding a book since people in Indian subcontinent use English keyboards.)
I am assuming that this conversation refers to the same problem.

e.g. in this case
Dharamvir Bharati (धर्मवीर भारती)
The author's Hindi and English names, both are in the name field.

message 6: by Paula (last edited Aug 14, 2014 01:37PM) (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments The Hindi and English names in the one field is not GR policy.

Where a book has been published in a Roman language, policy is to use the roman version of the name as the primary author on all editions, the other language name e.g. Hindi as a secondary author name.

Where a book has not been published in an other language e.g. English and is only available in Hindi then the primary author is in Hindi. In this case there is no requirement for a Roman name to be added,

It is policy to maintain individual author profiles with hyperlinks between