City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion


150 views
The best friend Never gets the girl

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Khushi Almost every book has a best friend who loves the girl but just doesn't end up with her. Simon has always loved Clary and even though they try it out, their relationship doesn't work out. In the Iron fey series, Puck doesn't end up with Meghan. Jacob doesn't get Bella in Twilight. What other examples can you give and what do you think the reason is??


Gabby Not quite true...


message 3: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 08, 2013 01:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer I know and it blows! LOL I'm very much Team Best Friend! Although sometimes they do!
But yes there was Gale not ending up with Katniss is another example.

But some examples of when the girl does end up with the best friend

Catching Jordan
The Body Finder
Heist Society
What A Boy Wants
Sophie & Carter
The Future of Us
Airhead
Flipped
Flat-Out Love
Shadow and Bone

and there are probably more but that is off the top of my head. I love when the friends end up together so if anyone can think of anymore I'd love to know so I can read them!


message 5: by Bipasha (last edited Jun 08, 2013 03:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bipasha very very true. the best examples are jacob and bella from twilight and of course, katniss and gale from hunger games.


Danielle Haha no kidding, it would be an original idea if one of the authors had the best friend relationship work out. But saying that the best friend is never the "dangerous bad boy", or whatever attracts the main character and the story is based on which is now getting a bit predictable. Oh another example is matched


Jennifer Oh yeah Matched is a good example. Loved Xander but of course she has to fall for Ky. I wish more books would go the best friend way.


message 8: by Izzy (new)

Izzy I think it's just down to the certain 'recipe' of love triangle.
It's easy to see when love triangles are being chucked in as an after thought because they're not properly developed e.g. Iron Fey and Twilight series. (Jacob did get his girl, though. Even though I didn't like the books, even I felt cheated out of that one!)

As in, the best friend scenario is just an easy, simple way of explaining why the character is a love interest and that character is never as fleshed out as 'the one'.
I often find that Young Adult authors prefer (or one could argue it's just a simple supply and demand?) the "bad boy" VS the best friend guy whereas I've seen plenty of authors who write for adults mix it up.
It also depends on the genre you're reading, too. With contemporary romance, the best friend often does get the girl particularly when both sides have a secret crush for each other.

I do get annoyed when the authors create the best friend as just a nice guy. That's just plain laziness, in my opinion. The best friend can be nice and funny and flirty and have depth to him. He can be all those things so that in comparison, he's not as boring as the hero. The best friend can have some life to him rather than just being a zombie that takes up pages.


Khushi Izzy wrote: "I think it's just down to the certain 'recipe' of love triangle.
It's easy to see when love triangles are being chucked in as an after thought because they're not properly developed e.g. Iron Fey ..."


I completely agree with you!


message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

The best friend often gets the girl in normal literature.

It's just this teen YA Paranormal genre that features an unhealthy addiction to idiot bad-boys.


Cinthya Mori ☢ Catherine ☯ the Psychotic Comedian wrote: "The best friend often gets the girl in normal literature.

It's just this teen YA Paranormal genre that features an unhealthy addiction to idiot bad-boys."


I´m not a fan of City of bones, I´ve just read 2 books,I stopped reading because I realized that Simon would never get Clary´s love, but...Catherine, don´t you think that saying that this serie is and addiction to idiot bad-boys it´s just the same as you try to avoid people do with Twilight in your "Twilight Haters: Shut up about "Anti-Feminism"" post??? Don´t say that kind of things, they would offend many fans (of a better book than Twilight!)!!!


message 12: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena if you're talking about love triangles in the paranormal genre, than the best conclusion i can think of is that there are usually two worlds: the normal world where your average heroine (most of the time when there's a love triangle the main character's a girl) comes from and the paranormal world. In City of Bones' case, the best friend is part of the normal world while the other guy is part of the paranormal world.

Basically, the heroine has to choose between normal and paranormal. If she chose her best friend (the normal one), than it would kind of defeat the purpose of writing a paranormal book


Ishika You like Iron Fey? I am obsessed with that series. But I am Team Ash...


Daisy97 Zajicek Yes, I see your point. The best friend never really gets the girl, or guy. But that is difficult to deal with. In Simon and Clary's case, Simon grew feelings towards Clary, when she didn't, and he expected her to feel the same way. Jace came into the story, and he's new, and she didn't have brotherly feelings (hehe, get it?:D Because they thought they were siblings... You guys get it.) for Jace. She had brotherly feelings toward Simon.


Kirby Isn't real life like that, too, though? I know that all the "nice" guys I know would tell you it is...


Rebecca You should wait until you read the later books Simon is not totally dissed, Cassandra Clare takes care of him! And he seems pretty darn happy


message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Cinthya wrote: "☢ Catherine ☯ the Psychotic Comedian wrote: "The best friend often gets the girl in normal literature.
It's just this teen YA Paranormal genre that features an unhealthy addiction to idiot bad-boy..."


It's hard to understand what you're saying through the poor grammar.

But if you thought I was serious, you really have another thing coming.


Polly Roth In Matched, Xavier didn't end up with Cassia. In Possession, Zenn doesn't end up with Vi.
I think it's because really the best friend has been thought of as a friend for too long to be considered something else.


message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

True! I read Matched! It's a good book!


Stephen One of MY first exposures to a romantic triangle in literature (and I still think one of the best) was in Cyrano De Bergerac but then he only became Christian's best friend because Roxanne asked him to.


message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 03, 2013 06:41PM) (new)

Simon is my absolute favorite character, although I kind of like Magnus Bane. I completely understand the frustration. I always feel like the girl should end up with the best friend. I am Team Jacob, Team Gale, Team Simon, Team Iggy, etc. etc. I adore Simon. I had a spasm and couldn't stop crying when Clary rejected him in one of the early books (I think it was the first one) and my heart broke just about every time he was involved. I love him so much, more than Jace or Will or Jem. I always have a thing for the best friend, or the secondary character, or something like that... I love Ron Weasley, and Rolly from Just Listen, and Keiro from Incarceron... etc.


message 22: by sim (new) - rated it 4 stars

sim Another example: Gale didn't get Katniss in The Hunger Games!


Sophie Khushi wrote: "Almost every book has a best friend who loves the girl but just doesn't end up with her. Simon has always loved Clary and even though they try it out, their relationship doesn't work out. In the Ir
WEll yes, a lot of girls/guys in books don't end up with the best friend but for me, I kind of understand why they wouldn't end up with their bestfriend. I mean, she probably thought of him more as a brother and well when you find that special someone or "the one" well I understand if you'd want to be with the non-bestfriend, plus honestly I'd be afraid to be with my best friend because if we broke up then we wouldn't be best friends anymore or at least not as close. Boyfriends come and go but bestfriends are forever.



back to top