UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Author Zone - Readers Welcome! > Campnanowrimo - The only kind of camping I don't hate

Comments Showing 1-50 of 314 (314 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments Welcome, my friend, to the game that never ends... well actually it ends on the last day of July. I speak of Campnanowrimo, the summer equivalent of Nanowrimo, one month in which to buckle down and get that novel written, that book finished, that manuscript knocked into shape and that procrastination kicked in its proverbials.

The website is www.campnanowrimo.org and you can sign up for free (donations are gratefully received).

If anyone would care to join me in a camping experience without dripping tents and flying creepy crawlies (unless that's what you're writing about), then sign up and join in on this thread as well, so that we can all join hands and walk off the cliff together.

It kicks off July 1st, so who's in and who's ... er ... not?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Cool Darren!

message 3: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I signed up for the spring one, and got no further than 2000 words on day 1! but I do need to get Flick Carter book 2 finished, so yeah, I'm in :)

message 4: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments Wow, not a lot of uptake on this then. We'll be a very small supportive group.

message 5: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Sure looks that way.

message 6: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments I'm doing my finger exercises in preparation for this.

Come on everyone else - it's free!

message 7: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Maybe we should get the KUFers in on it; I'm sure they'd put up a better show...

message 8: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Now that's fightin' talk!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Tim, do you really wanna get on my bad side? ;)

message 10: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Well, it got a reaction, even if it didn't get anyone else signing up! ;)

message 11: by Karen (last edited Jun 16, 2013 08:09AM) (new)

Karen Lowe | 2333 comments wrong time of year for buckling down and writing. Way too many distractions. Including camping

message 12: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments If I wasn't away for most of July, I'd give it a go!

message 13: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Wilcox (lyndawrites) | 1142 comments Ok, despite the fact that I only camp in 5* hotels with a spa - and a pool! - I'm in.

If you fancy sharing a cabin (ooh er, missis) my NaNo name is Trafalgar.

Good luck, Darren and Tim, and any one else brave (or mad) enough to do this.

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) I already have a project so unfortunately I can't take part, I will be joining in for the November Nano.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yay Lynda!
You rock!

You'll rock it come November Michael!

message 16: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Wilcox (lyndawrites) | 1142 comments Lol, Patti - this morning I feel as if I crawled out from under a rock! I had such a good time yesterday :)
It inspired me to try harder - hence Camp NaNo.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Great to meet you yesterday Lynda! Glad you enjoyed yourself.

message 18: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Been filling up my little brown notebook with lots of plot ideas today - need to get the old brain stoked up! Also been reading the 2K-10K book Lynda recommended: got some interesting ideas in there, which I'm going to be trying. Not sure I'll manage 10K, but hey I could finish nano in a week! lol

Trouble is, I think I've plotted myself into a bit of a hole. I'll talk about it tomorrow in my thread under spoiler tags, unless I dream a way out of it overnight...

message 19: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Wilcox (lyndawrites) | 1142 comments Thanks, Gingerlily, nice to meet you, too. I enjoyed getting together with a bunch of like-minded (i.e. decidedly daft!) folk. Great fun.

Tim - hope you find it helpful. I'm currently plotting, too, at the same time as trying to finish editing my WIP before sending it to my editor, which I promised to do sometime in June. Just hope I've left myself enough time.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Tim wrote: "Been filling up my little brown notebook with lots of plot ideas today - need to get the old brain stoked up! Also been reading the 2K-10K book Lynda recommended: got some interesting ideas in ther..."

Love that book of your's Tim.

message 21: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments If I'd thought about it, I'd have brought the book for Wanted - it's absolutely cram packed - lots of different versions of plots, things that didn't make it, character profiles etc, as well as odd bits of random bollocks. I'll make sure to bring it next time.

message 22: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1789 comments Hmm, I might sign up for this. Need to work out if I'm going to have time to get it done in July realistically.

message 23: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments Well folks, the time is almost upon us. This starts on Monday, so I hope that those of us who aren't taking time off to laze in the sun (hah) are sharpening our keyboards and getting ready for the off.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments That wasn't a dig at me, was it? Look at the bright side Darren. I won't be bugging you while you're trying to write. :)

message 25: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Wilcox (lyndawrites) | 1142 comments Hmm, I've probably been over optimistic with my word count again. I'd hoped to finish editing the current WIP and spend some time plotting the next one before I dived in on the 1st July. Looks like I'm going to spend the whole month playing catch up.

message 26: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Got those words ready? We're off!

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) Good luck to everyone!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Good luck everyone!

message 29: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Do Drabbles count?

message 30: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments As long as you write at least 15 a day!

All the write words, just not necessarily in the write order... ;)

message 31: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Ah. I think 3 has been my maximum. By then, my brain is empty!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Ah. That explains why I've not written any.

message 33: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments I hope that everyone got off to a flying start yesterday. I managed a long scene of the orc book (see, Ignite, I am trying). Not sure how many words but it might carry me over today since I'm too exhausted to do anything.

The aim is word count not word quality. You can fix it later. Get the words down and the story flowing.

message 34: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments 2056 words, which I was quite pleased about. Wrote a scene that started in a jail and ended in a real 'doof doof' moment.

Not sure how I'me going to top that today. More words I suppose.

(calls out) More words on table two please!

message 35: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments And everybody, don't forget to update your word count on the nano site :)

message 36: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Mine will have to go here - 2 more drabbles - 200 words. I'd get kicked off the nano site for being to minuscule!

message 37: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments What's a doof doof moment?

I will update the site later when I can count the words.

Ignite, drabbling is a discipline that I suspect would be beyond me.

message 38: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 3055 comments Pity I've got to write my dissertation this month instead :( Might join in with NaNoWriMo though this year

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9057 comments Yay go guys!

Just dropped in to do some cheerleading. Don't have any pompoms or a ridiculously silly short skirt though sorry.

Doof doof is obviously a big punch up. I think.

message 40: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Darren wrote: "What's a doof doof moment?"

You being a TV guy, I'd have thought you would have known that...

http://www.tv.com/news/eastenders-top...

Not so much a cliff hanger as a "Luke... I *am* your father." "Nooooo!" doof-doof doof-doof theme swells and fade to black.

"You can't stop me; you ain't my mum"
'Yes I am."
doof-doof...

Weeknights at 7.30 on BBC1: a doof-doof at the end of every episode! Or so they say. Quite famous apparently. ;)

message 41: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments Oh, I get it now.

Another passable day for me yesterday with some melting elves action.

message 42: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Whooo - were they chocolate? Stares, salivating, into the middle distance.

message 43: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Wilcox (lyndawrites) | 1142 comments Stop it, Ignite. You'll start me off, else. :)

Happily motoring along to get the word count up, today, when we have a two-hour power cut. Grrr. Guess who's now behind? Again!

message 44: by Kath (last edited Jul 03, 2013 07:21AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Sorry Lynda. I can take it or leave it (says the woman who's just about to make chocolate butter cream to fill and top a cake)

message 45: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Wilcox (lyndawrites) | 1142 comments Right! Never mind writing, I'm on my way.

message 46: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Women NEED chocolate. It's physiological. It's the iron. It isn't our fault and we should get NHS prescriptions.
That's what I think!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments perhaps we should do a prize of chocolate for whomever reaches the word count this month.
Simon?

message 48: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Wilcox (lyndawrites) | 1142 comments Now we're talking!

message 49: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Lynda wrote: "Now we're talking!"

You talk... I'll write ! Me Want Chocolate!!

message 50: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments Patti (Beach Bunny) wrote: "perhaps we should do a prize of chocolate for whomever reaches the word count this month.
Simon?"

Way to incentivise the writing guys.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7