Talk About It! discussion

What's your job, or what do you want to be?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 07, 2013 10:27PM) (new)

For those of you who have careers, what is it? Mind sharing a little background? And for those of you who are still in school, what do you aspire to be?

For me personally, I'm not entirely sure yet but I know it has to have both writing and reading involved. I've been thinking about becoming an author, or possibly a lit professor if I can. They say that you learn a lot through teaching, and from what little I know, lit professors seem to be both part of a literary community as well as having the chance to teach other people, which sounds pretty cool.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, this is one of those questions.... For me, well I think that 16 years old is a little young to be deciding your whole future - but that's basically what we have to do :/

So.. I have created for myself a few options and now its all about deciding; a) a police officer (but not a fed), b) forensic scientist, c) psychologist, or d) a police consultant on forensic matters.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Jocelyn; that's really cool! I actually would like to be a teacher if I had the right personality for it - unfortunately I'm a little bit antisocial, frustration makes me angry with people/myself, and I am actually appalling at putting what I know or think into verbal words, so I'm super bad at explaining things :(

message 4: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Emily wrote: "Oh, this is one of those questions.... For me, well I think that 16 years old is a little young to be deciding your whole future - but that's basically what we have to do :/"

In some cultures, you also have to choose a faction for the rest of your life at sixteen :P Sorry, not sorry.

In all seriousness, I think my dream job is to either be a writer, journalist, or a literary critic of some sort. Basically anything that involves words and affecting people with them.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "Basically anything that involves words and affecting people with them."

THIS. THIS.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Emily wrote: "Oh, this is one of those questions.... For me, well I think that 16 years old is a little young to be deciding your whole future - but that's basically what we have to do :/

So.. I have created fo..."

Cool for you. Forensic science is a bit creepy to me, but you probably have the stomach for it ;) You like the idea of being a public employee?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "In some cultures, you also have to choose a faction for the rest of your life at sixteen :P Sorry, not sorry."

Yes, well, they're obviously super prepared for the rest of their lives. I'm not. You're not sorry, neither am I :D

I actually do want to have a job,(maybe a side job, haha?) involved with writing, but I think it would irritate me because I get really annoyed with myself when I'm writing. It never comes out exactly how I want it to :(

message 8: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments Emily wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: "In some cultures, you also have to choose a faction for the rest of your life at sixteen :P Sorry, not sorry."

Yes, well, they're obviously super prepared for the rest of..."

That's writing for you, it's like wrestling with mud and trying to create a replica of the Sistine Chapel (and I mean the actual building plus the artwork).

Most of you know I'm currently studying teaching to teach English/History. Obviously the curriculum is always different in Australia but I've been wanting to work with words and language for ages so this is a good job - plus it gives me the chance to work on things like honing my reading and writing in any spare time and save up money for holiday travelling (something I've wanted to do for ages).

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 08, 2013 12:22AM) (new)

Emily wrote: "Jocelyn; that's really cool! I actually would like to be a teacher if I had the right personality for it - unfortunately I'm a little bit antisocial, frustration makes me angry with people/myself,..."

Thanks. I'm sort of antisocial too, but the idea of passing on a love for literature is just dream-worthy for me, I guess. And part of literature for me is interacting with others.

But gee, I dunno if I have the personality either. I'm incredibly impatient, to start with.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Jocelyn wrote: "Emily wrote: "Oh, this is one of those questions.... For me, well I think that 16 years old is a little young to be deciding your whole future - but that's basically what we have to do :/

So.. I h..."

Well, I like the idea of joining the police force. It's all a matter of time and deciding exactly what I'll do now though. I mean, I am taking a gap year to work for 10 months and travel around Australia for the next two months to sort out my life and priorities and stuff :)

message 11: by Lydia (last edited Jun 08, 2013 12:32AM) (new)

Lydia Emily wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: "In some cultures, you also have to choose a faction for the rest of your life at sixteen :P Sorry, not sorry."

Yes, well, they're obviously super prepared for the rest of..."

Ha, well that joke had to be made. You set it up perfectly.

Honestly though, forensic science sounds pretty cool. I don't think I would personally like to do it, but I always thought it sounded unique. Whenever I did online personality/career tests, they kept saying I had the personality of a cop or a detective, so I must have at least some interest in that field I guess.

I would love to be a writer, because even if I got frustrated with writing, I think I would still love my job. I just love good storytelling and how it affects people's thoughts and beliefs. I think I would like to write something that was fun but also kind of life-changing and thought-provoking. At least, journalism has a similar way of influencing people; as I said earlier, I just want to inspire through writing. I think I might actually be good at something like that.

message 12: by Alex (new)

Alex  | 146 comments I'd like to work with books or something like that.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Jonathan wrote: "Most of you know I'm currently studying teaching to teach English/History. "

If I did become a teacher, I would want to be teaching these same subjects.

Jocelyn wrote: "Thanks. I'm sort of antisocial too, but the idea of passing on a love for literature is just dream-worthy for me, I guess. And part of literature for me is interacting with others.

But gee, I dunno if I have the personality either. I'm incredibly impatient, to start with"

Okay, I'm jealous, because I'd love to do something like that, like be a teacher, but I just... the incapability I have for properly explaining things really gets to me. Like if someone asks me for help, I know how to explain in my head what I did and how to do it and make it make sense, but when I say it, it basically is just a listing of what I did and not a proper explanation at all :(

The Mighty Katara wrote: "Ha, well that joke had to be made. You set it up perfectly."

You did it well, I'll admit :)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "Whenever I did online personality/career tests, they kept saying I had the personality of a cop or a detective, so I must have at least some interest in that field I guess."

What are these tests and how can I do them? I mean, I would like to do one of these tests, if they're real?

The Mighty Katara wrote: "I would love to be a writer, because even if I got frustrated with writing, I think I would still love my job. I just love good storytelling and how it affects people's thoughts and beliefs. I think I would like to write something that was fun but also kind of life-changing and thought-provoking. At least, journalism has a similar way of influencing people; as I said earlier, I just want to inspire through writing. I think I might actually be good at something like that."

That is actually inspiring. Go for it! :D

I get to frustrated and I'm not convinced of my 'talent' so, yeah I can't do that :(

Alex wrote: "I'd like to work with books or something like that. "

That's cool :)

Oh! Maybe I could work at a bookstore? *Light bulb moment!*

message 14: by Lydia (new)

Lydia @Emily: I don't remember what tests they were. They were kind of tacky to be honest. All the questions were like "Are you an introvert or extrovert?" so I basically just answered the first one repeatedly. You could probably find one by just googling "personality and career tests."

And thanks so much. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do. (And I never said I was convinced of my talent cause I'm pretty sure I'll always think my writing is crappy. But I think I would be a better writer than a doctor, for instance. I think I may just have leanings towards the more artistic degree types.)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, well that's no good. Okay, they do sound a little basic/tacky/not-something-to-base-your-life-upon.

That is actually so cool :) And I do like your writing - that Savarias (view spoiler) story is really great, and I like that one about the aftermath of the gun fight. I actually wish that you uploaded some more writing... :)

message 16: by Lydia (new)

Lydia That's a pretty accurate description of how they were.

(That's spelled right, don't worry.) And thank you! I haven't uploaded anything recently because nothing has been good enough. I have some ideas of a story I want to write though. I just can't seem to figure out how I want to start it.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

My perceptive skills must be improving :) yay.

(that's good). As if nothing is good enough, I actually really like your writing. Lately I haven't had enough time for me to write anything even in the same stratosphere as decent :(

message 18: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Thanks :D (I feel the same way about my current dabbling in writing so don't feel bad.)

message 19: by Alex (new)

Alex  | 146 comments My suggestion to everyone still thinking about careers is "do not neglect Science". Science careers are interesting, varied, pay well and you get respect if you do them. Read in your spare time. Read your spare time to death but don't spend your days thinking you will make money and have a good life from books and reading.

Study science. Go into medicine or research. Do some good for someone. Whatever you do, don't become a librarian.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "Thanks :D (I feel the same way about my current dabbling in writing so don't feel bad.)"

:D Do let me know when you write something more!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Alex wrote: "My suggestion to everyone still thinking about careers is "do not neglect Science". Science careers are interesting, varied, pay well and you get respect if you do them. Read in your spare time. ..."

:)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Alex wrote: "My suggestion to everyone still thinking about careers is "do not neglect Science". Science careers are interesting, varied, pay well and you get respect if you do them. Read in your spare time. ..."

I would love to become an astronomer if I could, but that requires a huge level of math skills I'm unlikely to achieve. You're right that it's not something to be dismissed though. Scientists seem to be the ones with the longest lasting positive influences over the generations.

message 23: by Alex (new)

Alex  | 146 comments Jocelyn wrote: "I would love to become an astronomer if I could, but that requires a huge level of math skills I'm unlikely to achieve. You're right that it's not something to be dismissed though. Scientists seem to be the ones with the longest lasting positive influences over the generations. "

Well there's no reason to narrow in so much at your stage. The reason I say "Science" is because there's a multitude of things you could do with either Physics, Chemistry or Biology and no reason to zone in on one or the other at this point. You can guarantee that whatever career you choose aged 14-15 by the time you're 25 you'll have had a complete change of perspective on it and chances are you'll be happier doing something else. It's a *lot* easier to jump into non-science subjects/careers (i.e. librarianship) than it is to do the reverse because there's a vast amount of retraining you need to do in order to become a "Scientist."

message 24: by Ella (new)

Ella I really would like to go to a mathematics or science career. I'm very good at math, and math and science are a high priority in my family. (My dad is a research and development engineer.)
Jocelyn, talking about astronomers, in 8th grade, we did a career research project + job shadowing, and guess what career I did? Astronomer. I really would like to be an astronomer, even though there are only about 700 jobs in the world...

Lydia, you need to control your jokes better, or I'll die of laughter. I pretty much did with the wonderful Divergent reference. It was good!!!!!!

message 25: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Ella wrote: "Lydia, you need to control your jokes better, or I'll die of laughter. I pretty much did with the wonderful Divergent reference. It was good!!!!!!"

*bows* I try my best ;)

message 26: by Ella (new)

Ella The Mighty Katara wrote: "Ella wrote: "Lydia, you need to control your jokes better, or I'll die of laughter. I pretty much did with the wonderful Divergent reference. It was good!!!!!!"

*bows* I try my best ;)"

You'll become the death of me!

message 27: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (skyseeds) I want to be a Nurse, Photogropher, or move to Germany and teach English there. If none of those works out then something with reading or languages involved. I took a quiz created by the government that told you jobs you'd be good at and got bartender..

message 28: by Danny, Business Bro (new)

Danny | 194 comments Mod
I either want to own my own business or become a lawyer. I'm very much a capitalist :)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Danny wrote: "I either want to own my own business or become a lawyer. I'm very much a capitalist :)"

Lawyer. That's actually super cool!

message 30: by Lydia (new)

Lydia I think my parents want me to be a lawyer... not sure what I feel about that.

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 23, 2013 12:14AM) (new)

They can't force you to be something you don't want to be...right?

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 23, 2013 10:18AM) (new)

I'm sorry, but being a lawyer sounds massively dull ;P Both my parents were lawyers though and seemed okay with it, and you probably get a good salary. But I have a strong aversion to anything to do with the government or law.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Well I definitely don't have the ability to be a lawyer, so Police Officer/forensic scientist/art gallerist/... I don't know. Not a teacher, lawyer or shrink, but.

message 34: by Alex (new)

Alex  | 146 comments Jocelyn wrote: "I'm sorry, but being a lawyer sounds massively dull ;P Both my parents were lawyer though and seemed okay with it, and you probably get a good salary. But I have a strong aversion to anything to do with the government or law. "

I'm working in a law library at the moment and I have to say I've never been less interested in the stock. Could not give a.shit about any of it. As Danny says, for uber-capitalists only. You'll certainly make your money if you're successful in law.

message 35: by Ella (new)

Ella Lawyers? There are so many of them in the US, that if you live here, you won't get any jobs, so you'll just end up working as a cashier in Wal-Mart or with good luck, Starbucks.

message 36: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Emily wrote: "They can't force you to be something you don't want to be...right?"

I don't think they're dead set on it or anything. I'm pretty sure I don't want to do seven years of school though. Cop/detective is sounding pretty good right about now.

message 37: by Danny, Business Bro (new)

Danny | 194 comments Mod
Wow, lots of lawyer haters in this group. I don't really care because I'm not like passionate about law or anything. I just like the big paychecks :) In my opinion, you're probably never going to get a job doing what you are passionate about so you should just get the highest paying job you can and then use the money to facilitate your hobbies.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Danny wrote: "Wow, lots of lawyer haters in this group. I don't really care because I'm not like passionate about law or anything. I just like the big paychecks :) In my opinion, you're probably never going t..."

Great idea! ;)

message 39: by Danny, Business Bro (new)

Danny | 194 comments Mod
Emily wrote: "Danny wrote: "Wow, lots of lawyer haters in this group. I don't really care because I'm not like passionate about law or anything. I just like the big paychecks :) In my opinion, you're probably..."

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Danny wrote: "Emily wrote: "Danny wrote: "Wow, lots of lawyer haters in this group. I don't really care because I'm not like passionate about law or anything. I just like the big paychecks :) In my opinion, y..."

Can I just ask, you don't have to answer, but I'm terribly curious... what exactly did you do to deserve the title 'Officious Knave'?

message 41: by Clara (new)

Clara Brooks | 5 comments Danny wrote: "Wow, lots of lawyer haters in this group. I don't really care because I'm not like passionate about law or anything. I just like the big paychecks :) In my opinion, you're probably never going to get a job doing what you are passionate about so you should just get the highest paying job you can and then use the money to facilitate your hobbies."

I can see why you think this, Danny, but in my opinion that's not necessarily the best approach to choosing your career. I'm not exactly a high-flying career gal myself but I still think I'm qualified to say that your work-life, whatever you are doing, will be all consuming and the grind of working 9-5 every day won't leave you with much time to enjoy your hobbies. If you get good work as a solicitor then you will earn amazing money, no doubt, but I often wonder how much these people enjoy the fruits of their success. Solicitor/Lawyer work isn't 9-5, it's more like "always on" from what I gather, and if my job is exhausting for me I imagine that law must be very difficult indeed.

There's not a right way or wrong way to do things - I don't think I've got anything right, particularly - but be aware that working for money rather than love is probably going to end in nervous breakdown and divorce not necessarily give you the most satisfying life in the long-run.

But hey I'm another one of those lawyer haters too. Oh hi, I'm Clara, by the way.

message 42: by Danny, Business Bro (new)

Danny | 194 comments Mod
Emily wrote: "Danny wrote: "Emily wrote: "Danny wrote: "Wow, lots of lawyer haters in this group. I don't really care because I'm not like passionate about law or anything. I just like the big paychecks :) In..."

It comes from Shakespeare, and has become a frequently used insult in our house. I earned it by calling Lydia Inquisitor Hobo.

message 43: by Danny, Business Bro (new)

Danny | 194 comments Mod
Clara wrote: "Danny wrote: "Wow, lots of lawyer haters in this group. I don't really care because I'm not like passionate about law or anything. I just like the big paychecks :) In my opinion, you're probably ne..."

Wow, so, it looks like I’m going to end up a divorced Wal-Mart employee, taking anti-depressants. Who knew the path to being a lawyer was so treacherous? Anyway, to respond to Clara, it’s not like I hate the idea of being a lawyer and am only doing it for the money. The job itself is somewhat appealing as well. It actually seems like a job I would like. It will probably be business law I go into since I’m taking an Economics degree at Brock, and seeing as I find the economics courses interesting I’m sure I would be quite content as a business lawyer. It’s not as awesome maybe as being a videogame designer, but it’s a lot more practical. Also, may I say that I find the concept of working 9-5 every day and not making much money demoralizing in and of itself. If I’m going to put in all that time, I want to at least have some money to show for it.

message 44: by Clara (last edited Jun 24, 2013 10:47AM) (new)

Clara Brooks | 5 comments Danny wrote: "Wow, so, it looks like I’m going to end up a divorced Wal-Mart employee, taking anti-depressants. Who knew the path to being a lawyer was so treacherous?

Yes, but please don't be depressed about the inevitibility of being depressed. That would be premature, let it happen in its own good time.

Well, of course I was joking, but it's worth bearing in mind that if you're not doing something that you love all day every day then the chances of one being unhappy seem a little higher than if you're enjoying yourself every day. But you're right, it's not easy to get that dream job so one does have to make compromises somewhere along the line.

Your earlier post suggested to me that you weren't particularly interested in law and I wrongly assumed that you were doing it purely for the money. Now you're saying that you find the idea of law as a job very appealing. Sorry if i got the wrong end of the stick there!

message 45: by Danny, Business Bro (new)

Danny | 194 comments Mod
Clara wrote: "Danny wrote: "Wow, so, it looks like I’m going to end up a divorced Wal-Mart employee, taking anti-depressants. Who knew the path to being a lawyer was so treacherous?

Yes, but please don't be dep..."

I'm not depressed at all. I was being sarcastic. And I do find the idea of being a lawyer cool.

message 46: by Ella (new)

Ella Danny wrote: "Wow, lots of lawyer haters in this group. I don't really care because I'm not like passionate about law or anything. I just like the big paychecks :) In my opinion, you're probably never going t..."

I'm not a lawyer hater! I'm just saying that you won't find employment in the US if you are a lawyer, even though there are probably millions of cases every year in US alone.

message 47: by Ella (new)

Ella Clara wrote: "Danny wrote: "Wow, lots of lawyer haters in this group. I don't really care because I'm not like passionate about law or anything. I just like the big paychecks :) In my opinion, you're probably ne..."

Clara is such an amazing name! (Sorry, I'm a Whovian...)

message 48: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) Eh, I'm kinda with Danny in a way. There is merit to being practical.

On another note, I like what Alex said about degrees in Science. I'm horrible at understanding science, but I like the idea of doing something in theoretical sciences, that stuff always seems so insanely interesting.

I'm actually an accountant though. I do accounting and human resources, it's kinda boring but I dont mind really. Pays the bills, plus I can listen to audiobooks all day, play around a bit on the interwebs and no one ever really bothers me. I like being alone so this works out well for me. A lot of people at my work are really unhappy though.
I think I don't mind so much because I never had any huge aspirations. This is something I was actually discussing with a friend the other day, because I did make a "life goals" list when I was younger...and well...they're all checked off now, so I feel a little lost with what I should do for the next 30 years....

So far I've added
build stock portfolio and
attempt to write something.

Honestly, I'm really happy with my life, jobs are just jobs to me, I could be happy working at McDonalds and feel no need to progress....
I'm not sure if thats a good thing, but whatever. At least I feel content which is more than I can say for almost every person I know in real life.

message 49: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Amber wrote: "Eh, I'm kinda with Danny in a way. There is merit to being practical.

On another note, I like what Alex said about degrees in Science. I'm horrible at understanding science, but I like the idea ..."

I think I have similar opinions to you. I can't say I have a ton of aspirations in life. I'm pretty content and chill doing whatever.

message 50: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 24, 2013 08:37PM) (new)

I don't have a ton of huge aspirations because every time I "set a goal" I almost never find the effort to work toward it, and because every time I set myself on a predictable and predetermined path I feel like I'm just going through the motion instead of actually doing something I like, but I'm not exactly satisfied just sitting there. Mostly I think I'll pick a general field of study or whatever and be pulled along by whatever interests me.

« previous 1