The Liberal Politics & Current Events Book Club discussion

oppression / discrimination > School Bus Driver Fired for Facebook Post About Hungry Student

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 07, 2013 08:47PM) (new)

Bus driver Johnny Cook believed he was doing the right thing when he took to his personal Facebook page to recount the story of a middle school student who approached him to complain about having to go without lunch because he was 40 cents short on his pre-paid cafeteria account.

http://gawker.com/school-bus-driver-f...

message 2: by Alicja (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 228 comments But his message also struck a negative chord with officials at Georgia's Haralson County Middle School, who promptly let him go after he refused to take down the post and apologize.

He's my hero. It is people like him that make the world better little by little.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Alicja wrote: "He's my hero. It is people like him that make the world better little by little."

Even better:

"Deciding to make the most of his new-found fame coupled with his sudden unemployment, Cook launched a Facebook initiative called Johnny's Kids, which is aimed at raising awareness of hungry schoolkids."

message 4: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Stoklasa (victoriastoklasa) | 8 comments I'm not one for using Gawker as a news source, but I definitely understand and appreciate what this bus driver did. However, posting on Facebook could be a breach of privacy for this child, even if he didn't give a name. Does he live in an at-will employment state?