Madam, want to talk about author Mary Stewart? discussion

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K (new)

K (mareska) | 3 comments Hi, I'm new here, and I was wondering if anyone here has encountered any of the romantic suspense novels in ebook form. I haven't. I'd love to read them again, but my vision is so bad I can't read my old paperbacks.

My second choice would be to read someone like Mary Stewart, but whose books are available in ebook form, where I can make the font really big, and I have a bright background for the text. I don't think there's any author who is her equal, but is there someone who has written some romantic suspense novels that are good and are available electronically?

Thanks so much!

Kae

message 2: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments As far as I know, MS is only on kindle in the UK

message 3: by K (new)

K (mareska) | 3 comments Thanks for your response.

Does anyone know of a writer like Mary Stewart who is on Kindle or Nook in the U.S.?

message 4: by Gill (new)

Gill | 16 comments Hi Kae, I've just added you as a friend. I am in the UK. Please send me a PM as I may be able to help you!

message 5: by Gill (new)

Gill | 16 comments Gill wrote: "Hi Kae, I've just added you as a friend. I am in the UK. Please send me a PM as I may be able to help you!"

Have just sent you a PM Kae, so look forward to your reply. Forgot to ask whether you have read any Susanna Kearsley, an author who writes in Mary's style and is herself a Stewart fan. I think all her books ARE available as ebooks in the US!

message 6: by HJ (new)

HJ | 300 comments One of my favourite authors of historical romances, Lauren Willig, also loves Mary Stewart. Over the years she's mentioned a few authors and books under the heading "if you like Mary Stewart you'll also like...".

I don't know if any of these are in ebooks, but here are some of those she's listed:

– Caroline Llewellyn’s The Lady of the Labyrinth, told in the first person and set in 1980′s Sicily against a background of ancient myth and modern political intrigue;

– Susanna Kearsley’s Season of Storms, The Shadowy Horses, and Every Secret Thing, all of which read like vintage Stewart (with a frisson of the supernatural at times);

– pretty much anything by Elsie Lee (although her spunky, first person heroines are American, rather than British), in particular The Spy At the Villa Miranda and Satan’s Coast;

– M.M. Kaye’s “Death In” series, 1950s romantic suspense in various exotic locations, including Death in Kashmir, Death in Kenya, and Death in Berlin;

– and Helena Dela’s The Count (I’ve always wished she would write more).

– Victoria Holt’s Bride of Pendorric.

- Madeleine Brent. “Tregaron’s Daughter”, “Golden Urchin”, and “Moonraker’s Bride”

Several people who commented said that Susannah Kearsley is the next best thing to Mary Stewart. I can vouch for the M.M. Kaye books - they're written at about the same time, also feature exotic locations, and are excellent. I also love Elsie Lee but I'm almost certain she isn't in ebook.

message 7: by Gill (new)

Gill | 16 comments I love all Victoria Holt's books too and can remember seeing Madeleine Brent's books around in the 70's - not quite sure why I never tried any!! Must have a look for some of these names - thanks Hj!

message 8: by HJ (new)

HJ | 300 comments Here's a another good list of romantic suspense books which will include some which are ebooks!

http://www.likesbooks.com/susp.html

message 9: by K (new)

K (mareska) | 3 comments Thank you both so much, Gill and Hj!

I'll investigate those authors. Susannah Kearsley looks especially promising from what I see in your first post, Hj.

I appreciate your kindness, ladies!

Kae

message 10: by Gill (new)

Gill | 16 comments Susanna Kearsley just gets better and better! Absolutely loved Sophia's Secret (called the Winter Sea over the pond) and the sequel The Firebird. Like Mary Stewart she really brings her locations alive for me. Long may she continue to write!!

message 11: by Lorraine (last edited Jun 12, 2013 10:35AM) (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 31 comments I just checked out Amazon.ca and they have "The Moonspinners" for Kindle. I don't use a Kindle, I have a Kobo, and all the adventure books are available to buy (Canada).

And I agree about Susanna Kearsley - I loved Mariana and The Rose Garden especially.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Kearsley is one of my favorites, too. I still have to read Firebird, but I loved Winter Sea.

message 13: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Jackson (melaniejaxn) | 11 comments MM Kaye is finally out in e on KIndle.

Madam, want to talk about author Mary Stewart?

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lauren Willig (other topics)