Love & Social Change discussion

Questions for the group > What would be a book about love and social justice that you would recommend to a teenager?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Violeta (new)

Violeta (mywaitingplace) I have a part time job in a after-school program. I am currently the facilitator for 7th and 8th grade. For this summer we are creating a Social Justice Action League, we are planning on doing art workshops, community service, a garden and also a book club. During the last quarter of the year we discussed To Kill a Mockingbird for which I absolutely love the students reactions, hence my question, what book do you recommend me for this program?
also if you have a creative name I can use to call the reading group it would be great!

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark | 123 comments Violeta wrote: "I have a part time job in a after-school program. I am currently the facilitator for 7th and 8th grade. For this summer we are creating a Social Justice Action League, we are planning on doing art ..."

Violeta, i used to teach first and third grade, so i admire your energy. I'm essentially a public-defender now, and being a teacher was MUCH harder than being a lawyer. Its not even close.
I'm curious though -- i keep seeing people praise "To Kill a Mockingbird" -- i dont quite get why that book is relevant today. What is it about that book that affects so many people? For me, the single biggest problem threatening the planet is "corporate power." Corporate-Personhood. I dont know of any books for teens that even mention that subject. All other subjects pale in comparison with that one subject, imho. MegaCorporations are now threatening all life on the planet. All life. I dont see how books like To Kill a Mockingbird are relevant given that corporate-threat to all life. Im not lecturing though. Just sharing my own concerns, and questions.

mark

message 3: by Connie (new)

Connie Livingston-dunn | 139 comments Yes, we are 'just' love.

message 4: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Cottom (goodreadscomcaroline_cottom) | 98 comments Mod
Thank you for the question, Violeta. I think Tattoos on the Heart could be a great book for a teenager. Father Boyle's work with delinquents in Los Angeles is a powerful story of one person being "present" for a community where death is taken so lightly. His stories are very inspiring.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna Herras (alherras) | 1 comments Hi I think you can consider using books by Jason & Crystalina Evert. Their books are all about chastity. Hope this helps

message 6: by J.M. (new)

J.M. (jm_short) | 26 comments One of the reasons I wrote my book was to enlighten society about the prevalence of emotional predators. I believe it sends a strong message to youngsters who are vulnerable, naive, and approaching the age of "romance." Because it deals with "rape by fraud" I would not recommend it for people who are younger than sixteen.

The name of the book is "Carnal Abuse by Deceit, How a Predator's Lies Became Rape."

Joyce Short

message 7: by Steven (new)

Steven | 6 comments The Power Of One by Bryce Courtenay

message 8: by Burt (new)

Burt | 3 comments The Compassionate Rebel Revolution: Ordinary People Changing the World. Inspiring stories of real people combining compassion with action for social change. Great role models for the teens. Also available as an e-book and with an educator's guide that can be used in classrooms called Teaching the Compassionate Rebel Revolution
www.compassionaterebel.com.

message 9: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Tiernan | 8 comments Mark wrote: "Violeta wrote: "I have a part time job in a after-school program. I am currently the facilitator for 7th and 8th grade. For this summer we are creating a Social Justice Action League, we are planni..."

Mark wrote: "Violeta wrote: "I have a part time job in a after-school program. I am currently the facilitator for 7th and 8th grade. For this summer we are creating a Social Justice Action League, we are planni..."

Dear Mark,
I am a middle school teacher in Florida. I agree that corporate greed is a huge concern. I teach World History to 6th graders and there is plenty of discussion going on in my classroom about corporate greed. As I mentioned in my novel, "The statesman is dead."

message 10: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Tiernan | 8 comments Dear Mark,
I am a middle school teacher in Florida. I agree that corporate greed is a huge concern. I teach World History to 6th graders and there is plenty of discussion going on in my classroom about corporate greed. As I mentioned in my novel, "The statesman is dead."

message 11: by Marsha (new)

Marsha Hansen | 1 comments Violeta wrote: "I have a part time job in a after-school program. I am currently the facilitator for 7th and 8th grade. For this summer we are creating a Social Justice Action League, we are planning on doing art ..."
Night, by Elie Wiesel.

message 12: by Connie (new)

Connie Livingston-dunn | 139 comments I am a retired art therapist and practicing artist, and the healing power of art is phenomenal. There is also evidence that it helps raise children's grades and lowers dropping out of school later on. You can do a search for the many benefits of art in schools. I teach a class on art methods and materials for elementary education and we talk about how it is beneficial in the classroom and in after school programs. I think this is a wonderful project that you are involved in, Elie.

message 13: by J.M. (new)

J.M. (jm_short) | 26 comments Sorry to be grandstanding my own work, but it's all about love and social justice. Particularly for teenagers, because they are reaching the age of "consent" and romantic relationships, I think it's "must" reading. I've been sent "thanks" from Moms who have read it and passed it along to their teen aged children.

Yesterday, I was taped by Dateline On a show concerning a current case of rape by fraud. It is imperative for maturing teens to understand how they could be affected by this romantic abuse.

The name of my book is "Carnal Abuse by Deceit, How a Predator's Lies Became Rape."

Joyce

message 14: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Tiernan | 8 comments Dear J.M. Your book sounds like an important one for middle schoolers. I am going to take a look.

B. J. Tiernan, Standing On A Whale

message 15: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Hartono | 218 comments I suppose I can also promote my book here. It is less about what to avoid, but a simple true story of a forty year marriage of two people searching for happiness with one another through values of respect, understanding, and love. :)

message 16: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 1 comments I would suggest Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks. It is beautifully told historical fiction suitable, in my opinion, for higher level readers age 16 and above.

message 17: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Tiernan | 8 comments After giving it some thought, "The Count of Monte Cristo" could do the trick. Themes of love and social justice running throughout.

B J Tiernan - Standing On A Whale

message 18: by Kaizen (new)

Kaizen Love (kaizenelizabethlove) | 1 comments Hey all...I will be very honest and say that I came to this post to see how I could possibly name drop my own title. Which, I am, not very good at. I think that there are many good books out there that address love and social issues for teens and it is refreshing that there are people talking about them. This is actually a link that I came across that highlight many of these books. http://readingandwritingproject.com/p...
I think many of them are great, and hope to one day see my novel on a list such as this! Blessings to you all!

message 19: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Hartono | 218 comments How about 'Brave New World?'

Along with '1984,' 'Brave New World' was required reading for me in high school back in the late 60s. I went to an all girl Catholic high school in San Francisco, and was shocked to even think human beings could be used like cattle to breed, etc.

But here we are living in a 'brave new world order.' :/

message 20: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Tiernan | 8 comments I have very strong feelings about all of this discussion. Our society is currently in a free fall. Writing and talking about these topics is important in order to raise awareness, but in the end each of us can only improve ourselves. In doing that, we help those around us. Kids need good role models and many of theirs today are on very shaky ground.

message 21: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Hartono | 218 comments B.J. wrote: "I have very strong feelings about all of this discussion. Our society is currently in a free fall. Writing and talking about these topics is important in order to raise awareness, but in the end ea..."

I agree with you B.J. But I don't think each of us can do it ourselves. I have a strong foundation in my Catholic faith. My husband has a good Muslim foundation. And our daughter married a Jewish man that brings in the third component to a strong faith that can be traced to Father Abraham.

Why reinvent the wheel when we have a five thousand year old tradition based on promoting social justice?

message 22: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Tiernan | 8 comments Hi, Carmen. I am witnessing that the five thousand year old tradition based on promoting social justice seems to be dissolving in a lot of families. It does not matter what the religion is. We, as a humanity seem to be losing our traditions, our values, our customs, our direction. What do young kids have to hold onto today? I teach 6th graders and every year, they come into my classroom with less and less to hold onto within their own families. Be it technology, working too many hours, materialism, what have you, something is missing in young people today. That, I believe, is why we must continue to hammer out how to raise awareness on how the individual must rage against inertia and find value within themselves. I don't know, just venting, I guess.

message 23: by Steven (new)

Steven | 6 comments Carmen wrote: "B.J. wrote: "...find value within themselves. "

The value within oneself is evident if only one listens. Looking is not necessary - looking implies that there is something to be found, yet the absolute truth is that those who look cannot find.

Close your eyes, still you mind and you will know that you are part of everything and everything is part of you.

message 24: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Hartono | 218 comments Thank you Steven and B.J.

Things do seem hopeless sometimes. And yes, our five thousand year traditions are shaking at their foundations. But I still advocate to keep up the faith.

Steven, when I close my eyes, I hear the words, "Be still, and know that I am God!" Psalm 46:10

Now that is a book I recommend for everyone! The Bible!

message 25: by B.J. (last edited Aug 01, 2014 10:23PM) (new)

B.J. Tiernan | 8 comments Thanks for the discussion,Steven and Carmen. It is nice to get to know some people in the group.

Standing on a Whale

message 26: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Hartono | 218 comments How about the Bible?

We only had one book in the house when I was growing up and that was the Bible. My son treasured his. And now my seven-year-old grandson is loving the wisdom found within.

Kids have millions of questions that can be answered within this ancient text. But tough questions need well thought out answers, which can be answered through a loving family.

Imagine that! A family talking to each other about the meaning of life!

message 27: by Obiora (new)

Obiora Embry (oembry) | 5 comments The teenage years are a time for evolving, changes in hormones, finding one's way, and hopefully thinking about and planning for the future, and as such I would recommend 3 recently published books by 3 young spiritually connected and conscientious Black authors. The collective books deal with spirituality, love, knowledge, (social) justice, and what it means to be a human.

I have only read 1 of the books in its entirety but I do know from the brief reading that I have done and from personally knowing the authors that these books give "food for thought" and would make wonderful discussions for teenagers around the topics of love and social justice.

1) Gemini Bleed by Matthew Aaron Jones

2) Balancing the Rift: Reconnectualizing the Pasenture by Irucka Ajani Embry

3) Expanding Horizons Through Creative Expressions: Reflections and Thoughts Related to the Struggle for Peace, Sustainability, Equality, and the Search for Humanity by Obiora Embry

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Obiora Embry

message 28: by J.M. (new)

J.M. (jm_short) | 26 comments Violeta-

President Obama just came out with a campaign to publicize what constitutes sexual assault. This coming month, October, is Domestic Violence month. Acts of relationship violence have become big news over the past few weeks with NFL players abusing their partners and their children, a rape at Cornell University that motivated the victim to carry her mattress around campus until the offender is dealt with by the school's administration, and a multitude of additional sordid stories.

Books like mine, "Carnal Abuse by Deceit," "LoveFraud," and "The Sociopath Next Door," could make a meaningful difference in a teen's awareness of the duplicity they could encounter in interpersonal relationships and give them a heads-up that will keep them safe.

Joyce M. Short