Bookworm Buddies discussion

Buddy Reads > Joyland-Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 4025 comments I know several people have either finished Joyland, are currently reading it, or are about to. I just started it myself, and wanted to make a thread for people to discuss it. HIDE ALL SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!

message 2: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Janie Johnson | 13984 comments Mod
Great idea Kathryn, I will be reading it within the next couple of days. Looking forward to it.

message 3: by Holly (new)

Holly | 2971 comments Looking forward to this one too!

message 4: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments I was in B&N yesterday looking at the book. But didnt buy it. I may purchase it tomorrow

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (notrace) I have bought it and plan to start it in a few days.

message 6: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC So far I'm having a little bit of trouble connecting with the main character but I'm not very far into it at all.

message 7: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 794 comments I think I'm going to read this one as soon as I finish the one I'm working on now.

message 8: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments As soon as I get a copy, I'd love to discuss it with the group.:) Thank you setting this up, Kathryn!

message 9: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

I will be starting Joyland either later today or tomorrow morning. About to finish House, 70 pgs left.

message 10: by Victor (new)

Victor I'm on page 128 right now and it's good:) I expected a bit more mystery at the point I'm at, but it's very enjoyable:)

I liked the main character at the beginning, Chuck, but I'm having trouble with him, too:/

message 11: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

I had ideas that this book would be silly in some ways, although I don't know why exactly. Maybe because of the whole amusement park theme. Do you feel that it is silly at all Victor?

message 12: by Victor (new)

Victor Janie wrote: "I had ideas that this book would be silly in some ways, although I don't know why exactly. Maybe because of the whole amusement park theme. Do you feel that it is silly at all Victor?"

Not really. The characters say some smart ass things and the workers at Joyland will rotate their jobs so they will work one of the rides for a bit and then work a concession stand etc. and one of those jobs is to wear the fur which is a mascot uniform of a dog. That's about as silly as it gets.

message 13: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Jun 09, 2013 02:45PM) (new)

ok awesome, I was not really wanting something silly. I know though that King can manage to make a story anything he wants. He is so diverse. Maybe silly would not be so bad with Dr. Sleep coming! LOL

message 14: by Victor (new)

Victor :)

message 15: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Jun 09, 2013 06:01PM) (new)

Just got started, Pg. 26 and I gotta say I am really enjoying it so far.

I am discovering that I am already liking some of the character A lot! I am afraid to like them too much though, they may not be what I expect them to be.

message 16: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 4025 comments So far, I actually like Devin, the main character. I'm about 60 pages into it, and am enjoying it.

message 17: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

I too like Devin, but I also like Lane and Emmalina Shoplaw.

message 18: by Victor (new)

Victor I like Erin:) Tom is alright:/

message 19: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Well, I hope the last 100 pages are awesome because I'm just not feeling it. This is barely a 2 star read for me so far. There just hasn't been much of a story so far. :(

message 20: by Victor (new)

Victor I just finished Joyland and I thought it was amazing! I hope it gets better for you Chuck. And if it doesn't then read it again and if you still don't like it read it again etc. I'm kidding:) I can see how people wouldn't like it, but I really liked it:)

message 21: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Thanks Victor! :)

message 22: by Victor (new)

Victor Your welcome Chuck:)

message 23: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 233 comments I can see how someone wouldn't like this one. It's more of a coming-of-age story than a pulp crime novel. I loved it though, and I loved Devin's character.

message 24: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC I totally dig coming-of-age stories, especially the literary-type ones. I'm not sure what exactly the deal is. It's definitely not what I was expecting.

message 25: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Pg. 180 Pretty heart wrenching scene here. (view spoiler)

message 26: by Victor (new)

Victor That was very sad:( I really thought he was the killer though.

message 27: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Well at first I did, but then it hit me....King is not that predictable or obvious. LOL

message 28: by Victor (new)

Victor Janie wrote: "Well at first I did, but then it hit me....King is not that predictable or obvious. LOL"

Yeah:)

message 29: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC I came away liking this book after all. It's just really through me off--way off-- at first because it wasn't anything like I expected.

message 30: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Same for me Chuck, not what I expected, but it did end up being enjoyable. My review is up guys! Glad I got to share this book with y'all!

message 31: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments I was going to purchase Joyland a couple of weeks ago. But after reading the overview, I just was interested. So I out it back. Maybe I will read this another time.

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I just finished this one and really liked it but there is one part i'm still confused about
(view spoiler)

message 33: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 503 comments Rachel wrote: "I just finished this one and really liked it but there is one part i'm still confused about
[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel thanks squire :D