An Advanced Victorian Steampunk Roleplay discussion

London Central > The Jeweler's

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments ((RP with approved characters ONLY.))

message 2: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Kaijian went over to the back door, not bothering to see if Sèitheach was behind him. He bend down to look at the lock, then pulled out a pick and a tension wrench from the pouch he carried. Quickly, he inserted it, twisting one way, then another to test how the lock turned. Then he took the pick and preceded to push up the pins, moving swiftly and methodically. After he lifted the last pin, he twisted the lock and the door opened. "After you," he said, glancing back at Sèitheach.

message 3: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jun 14, 2013 06:11AM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Sèitheach walked inside and waited for Kaijian to follow him in. He listened carefully to the noises inside the building and then peered around, his violet eyes narrowed and focused. "As expected, the store is full of traps. I can hear the hum of the machines that are installed on the walls. There, there and there," he pointed so Kaijian would know where. "They must be disabled first before we can proceed."

message 4: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He nodded, glad for the man's hearing. Approaching one of the points indicated, Kaijian examined it. He hadn't seen a machine that hid in the walls before, at least, not one so quiet. Glancing back at Sèitheach, he bit his lip, not wanting to show any hesitation. Focus. He took a deep breath and turned back to the trap.

((I honestly don't know what to do with such a trap... Any ideas?))

message 5: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jun 14, 2013 06:30AM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Before Kaijian touched the the wall where the trap was imbedded inside, Sèitheach motioned for him not to. He then placed his large, pale hand on the wall beside it, his long fingers gently caressing the wallpaper as he felt through it to identify the materials used. After a moment he said, "It seems like the building is made mainly of wood. We cannot disable the traps without destroying the wall and if we wanted to leave our mark, we would not need a thief," Sèitheach pointed out. "No, The Saint wants this job done without them knowing we were here."

He peered at the trap again and said, "I can move a piece of wood in front of it fast enough that the sensor will think that it is wind. Once the piece of wood is in front of it, any movement from a human that comes across it will not set off the alarm because it will be blocked by the wood."

Sèitheach held out his hand to Kaijian. "Tell me that The Saint sent you a wooden cross this morning."

message 6: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Kaijian pulled out the cross and placed in his hand. "I haven't run into this kind of defense mechanism before," he admitted. "But I guess that's why it isn't a one-man job."

message 7: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jun 17, 2013 01:40PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Sèitheach took the cross and said, "Unfortunately, only you will be able to pass as I will only be able to trick one at a time. I will 'disable' the lowest one. Then you will crawl across and go the rest of the way alone. Be cautious of other traps," he warned. "I will remain here and guard. When you return, I will trick the same trap for you to crawl back over."

message 8: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "All right," he said with a nod. He stepped as close as he dared and waited for Sèitheach to block the traps.

message 9: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jun 17, 2013 01:40PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Sèitheach manipulated the cross in his hand, moving it so fast, you could not catch the movement with your naked eye. He had the cross in front of the wall where the trap was and all was still silent in the store. He nodded to Kaijian to begin crawling. "Watch out for other traps," he warned.

message 10: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "Okay," Kaijian said over his shoulder, crawling smoothly. Once he passed the first trap, he straightened up. The other traps were in walls that met in a corner behind the sales counter. Figuring that the safe was there because of the traps he made his way over. Pausing, he asked, "Sèitheach, I think I know where the safe is. It seems to be between the other two traps."

message 11: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jun 17, 2013 01:41PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Holding the cross in place, Sèitheach maneuvered his body past it then removed the cross with his inhuman speed. "Are they the same as this one?" he asked.

message 12: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He tilted his head, straining his ears to detect the humming that Sèitheach earlier sensed. Vaguely, like an underlying thrum, Kaijian thought he heard it, but he wasn't sure. "I think there's at least one more. The other trap could actually be with the safe."

message 13: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jun 17, 2013 01:41PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Sèitheach nodded and said, "Yes, you are right. I hear it too. You will have to jump for this one. Do you think you can make it?" he asked, flipping the cross in his fingers.

message 14: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "Depends. How high is it?" Kaijian asked, silently pleased that he managed to detect a noise on the same level as Sèitheach. Though, now that he heard it, he still couldn't tell at what point in the wall the trap sat.

message 15: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jun 17, 2013 01:41PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments "At my shoulder," Sèitheach responded. "You can climb on me and then jump. Just do not trigger the alarm that is a foot further." The cross was over the trap before human eyes could register.

message 16: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (last edited Jun 15, 2013 09:49AM) (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Without waiting any further, he climb onto Sèitheach's back, then stood on his shoulders just for a second. Good thing I don't weigh much, he thought to himself with a smile. He used to dislike his thinner appearance, but as his thieving career expanded, he came to terms with it. Leaping lightly, he landed on his feet with a light whisper and pulled himself back so as not to trigger the alarm. Slowly, he turned looking for the safe.

message 17: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jun 17, 2013 01:41PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Sèitheach nodded in approval, removed the cross and waited.

message 18: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He brushed his fingers against the wall, examining it for any sign where the safe would be. As he looked, he wondered if the alarm was with the safe again. Glancing over at Sèitheach, Kaijian asked, "Can you sense what kind of alarm it is?"

message 19: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jun 17, 2013 01:41PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments "It is mechanical. I can hear its clicking," Sèitheach replied.

message 20: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Kaijian nodded. He expected as much. Those kind of mechanical alarms usually are triggered with the opening of something without a proper key or number code. Smiling, he rolled his shoulders and went to the wall the alarm was. Remembering Sèitheach said it a foot farther from the last, he approached it from the side. Up close, he could see a seam in the wall, faint but detectable. Pulling out a his knife, he gently pried it into the seam and slowly, a section of wall opened up revealing the safe. The clicking was louder, but there was no sign of the mechanical alarm. Must be inside the wall next to the safe, Kaijian thought as he looked at the number lock. He was surprised that the safe wasn't a combination lock where a dial had to be twisted around. In this case, there was a hanging lock for the safe had four dials built in. The jeweler must of thought no one would have got this far, he mused as he pulled on is gloves.

((Should I keep on going? I don't want to explain too much, but I don't know what Sèitheach would do either.))

message 21: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments ((Okeydokey, then. ^_^ I'll let Kaijian do his thing.))

Gently, he reached out and grasped the lock in his hand. No alarm. Good. Kaijian rarely triggered alarms, but there were always a chance and he didn't like to trust his luck too much. He pulled on the shackle of the lock in one hand and slowly with the other, he began rolling the tumbler furthest from it.

Patiently, he rolled it until there was a soft, metallic click. Then he proceeded to the other tumblers, moving up from the furthest one to the one closest to the shackle. Making sure he had tension on the shackled the whole time, Kaijian turned the last tumbler and it clicked into place. Then he lock opened and he unhooked it from the door of the safe.

He paused to make sure that was the last obstacle, then began to sift through the papers. When he finally found a file of inventory lists, he flipped until he saw 1833 on top of the page. Kaijian pulled it out, then carefully rolled it up tightly and placed it in his pocket. Then he placed the file back in the position he found it in, the same papers piled on top, and closed the safe. Clicking the lock closed, he turned the tumblers to the numbers he saw before he picked it, and put the section of wall back into place.

Turning to Sèitheach, he gestured to the trap. "Can you block this?"

message 22: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jun 17, 2013 01:42PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Sèitheach nodded and in flash the cross was back over the trap. "Make the same jump," he told Kaijian, squatting slightly on his knees and bracing his back.

message 23: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Silently, Kaijian went through the same process. He climbed even more swiftly know he knew where the trap was and jumped. Landing, he turned to wait for Sèitheach to follow and to clear the next trap.

message 24: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jun 17, 2013 01:42PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Meticulously and silently they made their way back to the front of the shop, working well together. As they existed the store, Sèitheach nodded to Kaijian to lock the front door.

As the young thief began to do so, Sèitheach heard the sound of footsteps coming down the street. He whispered to Kaijian, "Keep working, no matter what." He tensed his body, readied for an attack.

message 25: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He felt the hair on the back of his neck, but Kaijian didn't turn around. He simply nodded his understanding and worked even more quickly, keeping his ears open for the approaching footsteps.

message 26: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jun 17, 2013 01:42PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Sèitheach leaned his tall frame against the wall, seemingly calm. He could tell by their footsteps that they were patrolling policemen. He cursed inwardly, wishing they were in a worse area of town but a jeweler would never open up shop in the slums. There were lamps lit all over these streets and no alleys to hide in. He had to take them out.

Sèitheach waited for them to approach and when he saw them a few feet away, he walked up to them and said, "Might I trouble you for a light?" Surprised to see anyone on this street at this time, one of them stuttered, "Er, what?" Sèitheach saw his opening and his arm shot out as he strikes at the man's throat, breaking his windpipe with inhuman speed and precision. Before his partner could react, Sèitheach turned and brought his other hand down on the man's neck, knocking him down. Still alive, the policeman gasped, reaching for his pistol. Sèitheach spun around and cracked his neck with his bare hands.

message 27: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Kaijian had just finished and, deciding he might be of some use to Sèitheach, went over to him. And he froze in shock, watching him deal out his attacks in a flash. He fought off a shudder, turning his gaze away from the broken bodies. "Are we done here?" he asked in a hollow voice.

message 28: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jun 17, 2013 01:43PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Ignoring Kaijian's question, Sèitheach picked up the limp hand of the dead man who had reached for his gun and used the policeman's hand to pull the trigger on the other one. The gunshot cracked in the silence of the empty street. He repeated the same procedure with the other one and when he was done, he caught Kaijian's eye and said, "We are." He began to walk down the street quickly but not too fast so that the young thief could keep up.

message 29: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He followed, not looking up, not wanting to think. Yes, he had seen men die before, but not in such a brutal manner. Kaijian wondered if this kind of thing was common among The Saint's group and if it would be discovered that he had never killed anyone. Or if it would be part of his test. He swallowed and wondered what Kitara would say if he told her about what has occurred. Then again, he promised not to tell anyone about The Saint. Did Kitara count? Thoughts wandering, he followed quietly.

message 30: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jun 17, 2013 01:43PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Sèitheach led them in a circuitous route, his senses on high alert to make sure they were not being followed. Once he was certain, he led Kaijian to an alley to make the trade. A bag of gold coin twice the size as his museum job in exchange for the inventory. "The Saint will be pleased," he told the thief.

message 31: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Kaijian took the bag, not bothering to count the coins. "I'm sure," he said, holding out the inventory list in exchange. "Send him my thanks for allowing me to work with him and for this job."

message 32: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jun 17, 2013 01:43PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Sèitheach nodded, pocketing the list. "Until next time, young thief." Not waiting for a reply, he jumped up and grabbed into the window of the building and pulled himself up to the roof, disappearing into the night, his silver hair trailing behind him.

message 33: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He watched, hands in his pockets. Then, slowly, he turned and walked off. Alone on the streets, Kaijian didn't bother to be careful, knowing the ghosts walking by would warn him. Their whispers grew stronger when he went past certain alleys and homes, then faded into a dull thrum in the background. Closing his eyes, he wondered if he could see the ghosts of the policemen. Shaking his head, he went home.

*END OF SCENE*

message 34: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (last edited Jul 07, 2013 04:41PM) (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Last day with Vivian and tomorrow, Joeri would have to report to the barracks. The reality hit him like a wave and he paused in his steps in front of the jeweler's store. He had worked at the inn and he was on his way back to Vivian's, his small suitcase in his hand. Figuring that he'd spend the night at her house again, he told the innkeeper of his leaving and was surprised the man pat him gruffly on the shoulder. There even might have been tears of fondness in the grumpy old man's eyes.

Joeri shook his head, smiling to himself. It took the innkeeper five years to show he actually cared about him. And just three weeks for him to find someone who loved him as much as he loved her. It was amazing how the heart works and it seemed like a lifetime ago when he first met Vivian at the inn.

Something caught his attention in the corner of his eye and Joeri stepped forward to bend down to look through the store's windows. Sitting in a velvet display box surrounded with white flowers was a blue jeweled ring. Perfect as a wedding ring. The thought came as an unexpected whisper and Joeri paused.

It was not that he thought of marriage, as he'd always assumed he would marry, grow old, and have children. But it never occurred to him that he could marry now. Standing there in front of the window, he rocked on the balls of his feet as he considered it. The worst thing that could happen would be that Vivian said no, but Joeri was sure she loved him as much as he loved her. And he wanted that love to be stronger, to last through the times when he was off to another country, when oceans separated them. Then again, I don't want her to be trapped waiting for me if she doesn't want to, he thought.

The store owner must have noticed his presence and opened the door, the bell jangling. "Can I be of service to you, sir?" he asked, peering over his nose at him.

Joeri bit his lip, thinking. Then he slowly nodded. "Perhaps. Would there be any way that I can place a hold on an item?"

Eyeing him, the store owner gestured him to step inside. Joeri followed the man to the front counter and pointed to the blue ring, which the man promptly retrieved. Looking over the ring, the man twisted a knob on his glasses and a pair of magnifying lenses came down in front of the man's spectacles. "Ah, this one. I could put a hold on it if you pay a beginning price."

Joeri nodded, thinking it was a fair exchange. Not many stores would allow it in the first place. "What would be my price?"

"Total, this ring costs £8, but as a hold price, I'll take £2," the man replied.

Again, Joeri nodded. It was a decent price for such a beautiful ring. "I'll take it," he said before he could change his mind. If Vivian said no, he could still return it if need be. With his income and he lack of spending much, Joeri had enough to pay and handed the man the two bank notes in his possession. After the man placed in his safe, Joeri left, on his way to Vivian's.

((The ring:
http://static2.bigstockphoto.com/thum...
))

message 35: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments ***END OF SCENE***