An Advanced Victorian Steampunk Roleplay discussion

London Central > Notary/Attorneys' Offices

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments ((RP with approved characters ONLY.))

message 2: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments As they existed the church, Maarifa motioned Kaijian into a coach and said once they were inside, "I will need to prepare some protective spells in order to help us navigate through the building easier. It requires concentration so I apologize in advance for not making polite conversation."

He began to pull out some ingredients from a pouch as they settled into their ride.

message 3: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He silently nodded, watching Maarifa curiously. Kaijian never had run into so many people with abilities in the supernatural and it always fascinated him to see what they can do.

message 4: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Maarifa performed his rituals as they drove to their destination. He muttered and chanted in his native tongue, his eyes glazing over once in awhile. When he was done, he handed Kaijian a bone necklace. "This will make you invisible for a few minutes. It will not last the entire time we are inside so I suggest you only use it when you are actually stealing the paperwork. We will need to use regular stealth the rest of the time."

message 5: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He took the necklace gingerly then placed it in his inside breast pocket. "I suppose this job requires more care than ever before. I will do my best," Kaijian replied.

message 6: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments "I'm sure you will," Maarifa nodded. "We must scope out the building first. See how many guards there are."

message 7: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "Yes," Kaijian answered, then turned his gaze out the window. As he thought, The Saint created missions that were certainly out of the ordinary and he wondered what kind of plans the man thought up. He watched the dreary buildings pass by, most of the world asleep and indoors. He briefly wished he was young again, sleeping with no worries. But the past was gone and the present was ever pressing. He spotted the notary's office up ahead and glanced over to Maarifa. "Should we get out now before we actually reach the office?"

message 8: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Maarifa nodded. "That sounds like a good idea," he replied as he wrapped on the coach wall. The man stopped in front of a pub and left as soon as Maarifa paid him. Let is see if we can find another building to climb onto so we can see if the notary has any glaring defenses."

message 9: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Kaijian glanced up at the buildings and noticed a building to the side of the notary office that was relatively at the same height. Nodding to it, he asked Maarifa in a low voice, "Would that one do?"

message 10: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments "Perfect," Maarifa responded. They climbed the building with some difficulty, neither one overly dexterous like some of the other crew members, but both fit and in good condition. Once situated on top of the roof, Maarifa handed Kaijian a pair of binoculars with multiple lenses.

message 11: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He took them and peered at the building. Immediately, he noted there was a guard at the back door and one at the front desk. Kaijian assumed that one more guard could be in the building out of sight. He handed the binoculars back to Maarifa so he could get a chance to look. "Two guards in sight. There could be more inside where we can't see. It depends on how important the records are."

message 12: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jun 22, 2013 02:08PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Maarifa pulled out the drawing of the inside of the building. "Probably here," he pointed to one of the rooms. "I'm wondering if maybe we can break in through a window. Would you be able to open one without us being detected?" he asked.

message 13: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Kaijian thought for a moment, examining the building. "I think I can, as long as we can make sure there is no trap around it," he answered.

((I wonder how would you break threw a window with steampunk technology. Any ideas?))

message 14: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Maarifa said, "These goggles will help us see if there are traps. As for how to open the window, I am afraid I will have to leave that up to your expertise as I am more inclined to simply break the window. But I do know that is not an option."

He was silent for a moment and then he said, "I assume the windows open and close with some kind of gearwork. Would you be able to manipulate that silently?"

message 15: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "I think I can figure something out once I can get a look at it," Kaijian said calmly, though his thoughts were already whirling, coming up with possible scenarios and solutions.

message 16: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments "Let us begin then." Quietly, the two made their way to the window that was unguarded. Maarifa nodded to Kaijian to take a look at the window when he handed him the goggles again.

message 17: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He pulled the goggles over his eyes and inspected the window, his small feet able to rest on the sill. On both sides, there was a series of gears and a chain linking them to slide the window up. It was on the outside, fortunately, since it looked more polished if it wasn't in the room. With his gloved fingers, he ran it along the edge carefully.

message 18: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments As Kaijian worked on the window, Maarifa pulled out a small pouch from his pocket. Checking its contents, he nodded satisfactorily. It contained ingredients for a sleep spell. He planned on using it if they ran into trouble.

Calmly, he waited for the thief to work.

message 19: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments As Kaijian looked at the mechanism, he figured that the best way to get in quietly would be to enter the window as if it was opened on purpose. Running his gaze along the gears, looking for the switch, he noticed a small trap along the inside.

message 20: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Once the window was open, Maarifa whispered, "Take a look with the goggles to see if you can spot more guards inside."

message 21: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He nodded silently and peered inside the room. Hearing nothing, Kaijian slipped inside and made his way to the door. He pressed his ear to the door, then glanced back and waved Maarifa in.

message 22: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Maarifa followed, his sword in one hand and his other hand on his ingredient pouch. He went down the corridor with Kaijian, on high alert.

message 23: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "Which room?" he asked in a whisper.

message 24: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Maarifa pointed down the corridor. "The third one on our right," he whispered back. "Quickly," he urged. "And silently." He was light on his feet, his soft shoes making barely any noise.

message 25: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Again he nodded and he slipped like a shadow swiftly down the corridor. Kaijian stopped by the door, his back to the wall next to it. He crouched down, listened for noise, then continued to pick the lock, twisting the pick deftly.

message 26: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Maarifa waited while Kaijian picked the lock, watching the young man's fingers move fluidly and expertly. He kept his ears pealed for guards but there did not seem to be any coming.

message 27: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments With a click and a twist, Kaijian opened the door and slipped inside. Glancing around at the filing cabinets, he asked quietly, "Which list is it again?"

message 28: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments "It's not a list, we have to sift through a set of wills," Maarifa explained. "This will take some time, but it will be in the year of 1833. You will look for the item in question while I keep guard. Use the goggles so that we do not need a light source."

message 29: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Kaijian nodded and started to examine the filing cabinets. They were sorted by year it seemed, then each file was alphabetized. He found the year 1833, then started to leaf through the files, examining the inventory list, then looking for the name associated with the item.

message 30: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jun 23, 2013 08:36PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Allowing Kaijian to work in silence, Maarifa kept an ear out for the guards. They had covered their tracks properly from breaking into the window so he did not think they would be caught. "Take your time," he told his partner, "do not rush it. Sift quietly and thoroughly," he instructed.

message 31: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He mmm-ed to indicate he heard him, though Kaijian didn't think the reminder was necessary since it took some time to pinpoint the item and names, especially when it was a common name. As Kaijian read along, he made small, mental checks on the inventory list.

message 32: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments "Let me know if you find the item so that we can wrote the name down," Maarifa instructed.

message 33: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments ((Find the item in a will? Then write down the name to steal the will?))

His fingers plucked out a file and he swiftly flipped through it. Then he recognized an item from the inventory list. Reading the name the item was willed to, Kaijian whispered to Maarifa, "Rachel Dodds will receive a sapphire necklace."

message 34: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jun 23, 2013 08:44PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments ((No stealing the will, just writing down the names))

Maarifa handed Kaijian the paper and said, "Write down the names and addresses if available. I will keep guard. The item we need is the 'coloured-gold bird on a leafy branch with ruby berries.'"

message 35: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments ((Okay. Gotcha. ;) ))

Kaijian nodded, taking the paper and returned the file back in its place. He scanned the list and found the item. Then read the name. Matthew Joseph Edwards, he silently read. Opening the cabinet where the "E"s were located, he searched through the last names for Edwards. As he read the tabs on the files, he counted 6 Matthew Josephs. Quickly, he pulled out their files and wrote down their addresses.

message 36: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments When Kaijian told him that he had found the items, Maarifa was astounded. "The Saint will be... most pleased," he murmured. "He was expecting tonight to be a dead end."

Once Kaijian placed all the wills back inside the filing cabinets, Maarifa said, "Put your necklace on and let us go," he told him, putting his own on.

message 37: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments For a second, Kaijian was confused, then he remembered Maarifa's spell. Carefully replacing the files back in the place they belonged, Kaijian closed the cabinet and pulled the necklaced over his head. Then he turned to Maarifa. "Ready," he said shortly.

message 38: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Together, the two walked out and slipped through the building without being seen.

Once outside the window, Maarifa began to run, motioning to Kaijian to follow along. The spell would not last much longer. They ran until they reached a dead end street. Then, trying to catch their breath, Maarifa pulled out a bag of coin in exchange for the names and addresses. "The Saint will be most pleased," he told Kaijian. There was the hint of a smile on his face.

message 39: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He fought the urge to bend over as he tried to regain his breath. Nodding, Kaijian took the back of coins and replaced it with the paper of names and addresses. "I'm glad to serve him," he replied with a small smile, excited that the job was over.

message 40: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Maarifa placed the paper inside his pocket and said. "I must be off. Burn the necklace before you get home. Goodnight, Kaijian," he said and walked away down the street, nodding to Kaijian one last time.

message 41: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Kaijian waved and went his separate way. He wandered through the alleys until he found a group of people burning a fire in an old metal barrel. They were in raggedy clothes and he left quickly after sneaking the necklace into the flames. It just filled him with guilt that he was better off, but also it just reminded him of the cold days on the streets.

message 42: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments ***END OF SCENE***

message 43: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jul 01, 2013 03:40PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments After his call on his father, Ben decided to head into the office. His intern, Davies, was probably beside himself by now with the workload. He sauntered into the office around two o'clock in the afternoon and nodded to the coworkers he passed in the hall. When he reached his office, he pushed open the large door and looked around the room.

"Lord Kaylock," Davies sputtered, buried underneath a mountain of paperwork.

"Good afternoon, Davies," Ben said amicably. "How goes it?"

"Well, Lord Kaylock," Davies replied. He took off his glasses and rubbed at his eyes.

"Sorry I have been absent," Ben apologized. "Family business has been quite demanding."

"That's quite alright, Lord Kaylock. I do believe that I have everything under control."

"You're a good man, Davies," Ben grinned. "I do believe you will be perfect for this firm when you graduate."

Davies all but fainted. "Th-thank you, Lord Kaylock! Would... would you like to see my progress thus far?"

"Absolutely," Ben replied, sitting down in his large leather chair behind his massive mahogany desk.

Davies brought him a large file, overflowing with paper and Ben groaned inwardly. He gave his intern a tight smile as he patiently waited for the man to shuffle the papers into order. He looked down at the file and read the name: L'Estrange vs. Edwards. Ben perused the information and then said, "Will it go to court, do you think?"

"Unless L'Estrange offers a settlement--which he cannot afford," Davies pointed out.

Ben rubbed his short red hair. He wouldn't mind terribly if it went to court. "Thank you, Davies," he said, looking up, dismissing the man. Davies nodded and returned to his overflowing desk.

Ben tried to study the file but all he kept thinking about was that damn ball and his new responsibility. Do it for Bert, he kept repeating to himself. Bert needs you. He still could not get over their tiff from a few days ago and the fact that Bert still had not called on him had caused Ben much loss of sleep. He sighed and rubbed his short red hair again. Perhaps concentrating on work would help him forget about the absence of his brother and best friend.

***END OF SCENE***

message 44: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jul 05, 2013 07:27PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments As per Ben's request, Kitara mailed her letter to his office since he was in between addresses. She suspected the real reason was because he didn't want anyone else reading the letter, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

Dear Ben,

Though your letter was indeed a surprise, it was not a bad one. Gosh, where do I start? I suppose I should say 'Thank you, Ben for the wonderful wishes! My visit so far has been wonderful!' Don't smile too hard.

So. In regards to your situation... I would first like to say how happy I am for you! How coincidental it was that we were only just discussing your love life at Geoff's goodbye party. Life has a funny way of giving you exactly what you ask for--for the most part anyway.

I must say I'm very flattered that you think I can give you some good advise and because I don't know Iyonna, I'd have to use my own life experiences to help you (until the day I actually meet her). The most important thing for
me is to never make a big deal out it--your social status that is. Geoff and I never talk about it. It's a nonissue. If that makes sense.

I'd need a bit more details about what kind of girl Iyonna is because believe it or not, not all of us commoners are
exactly the same. You may laugh now.

Sorry if this letter makes very little sense. I suppose I'm still in a bit of shock hahaha! I just wanted to write you a quick line to let you know that yes, I am completely fine with you discussing this with me. I am more than happy to help. I just need more details.

Say hi to Vivian for me. And Bertrand.

Take care and yes,
do make sure that the rest of our polo mates are good upon my return.

Sincerely,
Kitara

P.S. How old is Geoff and when is his birthday? Write soon with this information and tell no one I asked you!!! See, now we have each other bribed. It always works best this way.

***END OF SCENE***

message 45: by Raina-J. (last edited Jul 06, 2013 09:08PM) (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Dearest Brother Ben,

I dropped by the Mansion the other day but nobody was around, and I heard from Carstairs that apparently you're spending an awful lot of time at the office these days - I had to check on the horizon for low-flying pigs when he told me - so that's why I'm writing to you here.

I've gone and found myself a job - isn't that splendid?

I've also managed to find myself a puppy. He's sweet and harmless now but when he's grown he will be a lovely specimen of a bullmastiff. His name is Shakespeare.

Please do come by the townhouse soon. I've been remiss in keeping in touch over the last few days, and would love to have you over again.

Love,
Squirt

***END OF SCENE***

message 46: by Heather (new)

Heather (georgouschaos) | 2144 comments My Dearest Lord Kaylock,

Words cannot begin to express the shame I feel for the part I had in the events that took place at the opera, and it would be understandable if the Lord were to not find me in his good graces. You have shown me nothing but kindness and honest intentions, which I have regretfully met with secrets and masks. The graciousness you gave me will forever warm my heart my Lord, and I owe you more than I could ever possibly afford to give. This is only my meager attempt of an apology that, rightfully, is not deserving of acceptance, but I owe to you at the very least to make.

I wish I could make it as though the events leading to this never happened, but the matter of the fact remains that it did. There are things about my life that I have sarrowfully kept from you, things that do not paint a very flattering picture, and one I couldn't bear for you to see. - do not expect you to undertstand my selfish reasonings for not being entirely forthcoming with you, but please know I wanted very badly to be what you deserved. Sadly my life does not work that way, but you won't be having any more trouble from me.

As much as it pains me to say this, I'm afraid this is as much an apology as a farewell. I will be leaving London soon, traveling to Boston with others from the company. I do not know when or if I will be returning I regret to say, for she has been good to me, but the move must be made never the less.

Perhaps it is best this way, I think, and humbly ask you to try and forget our unfortunate last reunion, and think of the day in the park instead; the woman with feathers in her hair, who saved your hat from certain doom. Keep her near your heart my Lord, for you will forever be near hers. Maybe some day will come and we shall meet again, and maybe then the world won't get in the way

...Until that day comes, I will keep you in my heart and in my prayers. I pray for your good fortune, health, and happiness my Lord in whatever you do, always. May God keep you cloaked in His protection and may he keep yor heart gentle. Know that the times I spent with you were some of the happiest in my life. - wish for you to find that same happiness Ben, because there is no greater feeling in this world.

Always,
I.B.

message 47: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jul 17, 2013 05:11PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Late in the afternoon, Ben finally got around to sifting through his mail. He saw an envelope addressed to him in Iyonna's handwriting and froze. He picked it up, his large hand shaking and placed it carefully in front of him. He sat there and stared at it for a long time, with his hands folded over his mouth, his elbows on the table.

His intern gave him an odd look now and then but said nothing.

Ben sat there until Davies left the office, murmuring a goodnight and closing the door. Ben waited a few more minutes and then finally tore the envelope open, careful not the rip the letter. He read it. And then he felt tears sting his eyes. Giving a cry of rage, he shoved his palms into his blue eyes, crushing them.

"Goddammit," he muttered. He went back to sitting in the same position he had been in when he first saw the letter. And then, finally, he picked up a pen and paper and wrote two letters of his own: one to Kitara and one to Iyonna for when she arrived in Boston.

***END OF SCENE***

message 48: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (last edited Jul 20, 2013 12:13PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments After Geoff's birthday, Kitara sat down to write her letter to Ben. She chewed on the edge of her pen for several minutes, thinking of how best to say what she wanted to say, wishing many times over that they could be face to face. Finally, shaking her head, she began to write:

Dear Ben,

I hope that this letter finds you well--or as well as you can possibly be. I don't mean to pity you as I'm sure you would not want that. I simply meant, well... you know.

First of all,
stop thinking that you are imposing on me. Know that I am more than willing to help and that if I didn't want to do something, trust me, I have no problem informing you of this. That being said, of course I will help you in any way possible concerning Iyonna.

I assume since you didn't specify, you don't mind how I go about it? I'd like to meet her first, get a read on her, before I show her all of my cards (ones that have your face on them, I mean). Or if you have a specific way you want me to go about this, please tell me. Otherwise, this will all be handled solely by my very naturally gifted people skills.

I've looked up the dates and as I write this letter, she is already in town. I checked the dates on the pamphlet that was glued to the door of the building where you said she will be working and her first show is this Friday. I will go to the show and attempt to seek her out afterwards.

I'm sorry that I took so long to reply--Geoff's birthday has been my number one priority this past week and I had
a lot to do to prepare. By the way, he mentioned that Vivian and Bertrand wrote to him but no mention of your name.... Please write to him, Ben. It would make him happy.

Please pass on my greetings to Vivian and Bertrand--can you believe she is getting married?! Oh, how wonderful! I could tell simply by her letter how very happy she is. You and Bertrand must plan a very special celebration for her. She would want that--and needs that. She has asked me to be her maid of honor although I'm sure you know this as she probably already told you.

I will be sure to keep you posted and I hope that you are well, Ben.

Sincerely,
Kitara

***END OF SCENE***

message 49: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Dear Ben,

By now Bert has told you what happened between the two of us, and judging by the silence coming from your end I can tell that as always your loyalty lies with Bert. I am not judging you for it - as you always say, "it's a twin thing," right? In all honesty I have always admired the infallibility of your loyalty to Bertrand and have always wished I could be like you in that regard.

I am not asking either if you for forgiveness. I just want you to understand. When you and Bertrand left England I know that I could have dealt with my loneliness and insecurities in other ways. I had the chance then to prove I was growing up and instead I only proved how selfish and bratty I really am. I love you and Bert more than anyone else in the family, and by doing what I did I know I let you both down in the most horrible way.

After you left, things at the castle became more difficult than ever before - mainly because by having Stephen fix my arm, I was yet again defying Father. I don't think the fact that it's illegal was what bothered him, but rather the fact that I was finally reunited with Stephen. You know how he's always been about Stephen. He even threatened to tear the arm off because he as so angry, but Jessamine - of all people - made a comment about how I ought to be allowed to keep it so that at least I wouldn't have an excuse to remain at home and whine about everything. "Let her keep it, Father," she said, "for she already causes more trouble inside the castle walls than the effort of removing the limb is worth."

A few weeks later when I had a full grasp on control of my new arm, I ran away for a few days and ended up at the docks one evening. I went to a small restaurant on the marina, a chip-shop that's actually a renovated and modified yacht. The owner was very kind to me and thereafter whenever I found myself down at the docks late at night I would go there to eat and see my new friend.

That was how I came to learn of a problem he was having with his rent down on the pier. He was paying more than the regular fare for the permanent spot and had gone through all the necessary loopholes to be approved to run his business as such, but the port's owners wanted to charge him an even higher rate - what he paid them already was practically extortionist - and I couldn't stand by and see my friend lose his dream and livelihood.

Of course I knew who would be charging him the rates: who else but one of Father's cronies? After listening carefully to several conversations at various parties and dinners, I found out that the unlawful rent rates - the portion of the dockside business which this particular crony was in charge of - were a direct result of him needing money to pay off a huge gambling debt.

All I did was pass along the information and some weeks later when I returned for my usual meal and pint I was greeted with a cheer: the restaurant proprietor had investigated his rights as a tenant (of which there are very few, as you know) and had found a loophole in the rental clauses that allowed him to challenge the demand for the increase. He ended up having to pay the normal fare for a permanent place at the docks and not a shilling more.

Ben, it felt good to be thanked and praised and noted for something that I had done. I had never known what it felt like to be wanted and appreciated, and realised that perhaps I could help others like my restaurant owner friend. Perhaps running away didn't have to be about me escaping so much as me helping people I cared about. So I kept doing it and became known as the girl to go to for information and news...and then it snowballed from there as the months passed by.

Of course it was selfish. Of course I was just staging the most grandiose uprising ever against Father. But until I helped my friend I had never felt like I mattered to anyone - except for you, Bert, and Geoff. And having the three of you should have been enough...but it wasn't. I couldn't take being left alone and unwanted, not with the two of you so far away and Geoff still hiding away at Oxford. And I am not trying to guilt trip you, Ben. I know I could have gone to Tasmania or Germany with either one of you and I should have fought harder to go when I asked Father if I could.

But my choices are my own and nobody else's. I did what I did to feel better about myself and I don't regret helping people who needed somebody who could actually do something for them. I do regret hurting you and Bert, though, because of all the people in the world I love nobody else as best as my own brothers. Like I have said before I have never really felt like I belonged in clan Kaylock and it confuses and upsets me even now not to know why...but you and Bert did make me feel loved when we were all together and now I am painfully aware of the loss of you both. I was never one to be content with what I was given and I am desperately trying to change that attitude.

Would I go back and change it I could, knowing now that what I did would result in losing you both? To be honest, Ben, I think I would do it all over again, but this tine round search for a better way to help everyone. A way that would not have hurt you.

All that aside, there is nothing else to say on the subject. What's done is done, right? It is all gone now and I am trying to start over. I haven't found my true self yet but I hope she's out there somewhere.

In other news, I'm sure you've also heard by now from somebody that Thomas and I are engaged to be married. I'm sorry for not telling you sooner myself. Perhaps by the date things will be better...but if not, I understand.

Always,
Vivian

message 50: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments ***END OF SCENE***

« previous 1