Divergent (Divergent, #1) Divergent discussion

Other Teen Fiction Novels Without a Love Triangle

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hannah One reason I really like Divergent was its not having a love triangle. I don't mind romance, but I like to either keep it at a minimum or between two people. I get so annoyed with love triangles because they take up too much space and usually the person I like does not get the main character. This discussion is for people who know of other great teen novels without a love triangle or for people searching for other books like I am.

Thanks in advance,
Hannah

Rachel Levine Parnormalcy by Kiersten White only has one love interest. Same with Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston. I think the Intertwined series by Gena Showalter has only one love interest per character (that I can remember at least) Abandon by Meg Cabot, Poison Study or Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder, and Legend by Marie Lu also stick to one person. I'm sure I've read more too, I just can't think of them. Well I hope that helps.

Hannah Thanks Rachel. I've read Poison Study and thought it was great so I'm sure your other recommendations are wonderful as well.

message 4: by *alex* (last edited Jun 07, 2013 03:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

*alex* DON'T JINX IT!!!
Legend by Marie Lu,the Leviathan Series by Scott Westerfeld, Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

☽Ƹɱɱɑ☾ Unremembered by Jessica Brody, Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater, The Rules by Stacey Kade, Graceling by Kristen Cashore, and The Pledge by Kimberly Derting.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

The Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness !!

Ebony Mitchell Delirium by Lauren Oliver, Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion, Evernight by Claudia Gray, Harry Potter? if you don't count Snape and Lily, Legend by Mary Lu and yeah thats all I can think of :)

Marie Ebony wrote: "Delirium by Lauren Oliver, Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion, Evernight by Claudia Gray, Harry Potter? if you don't count Snape and Lily, Legend by Mary Lu and yeah thats all I can think of :)"

The next books in the Delirium series have a fucking huge love triangle so i don't think that would count... ;) but Chaos Walking (other than Lee but Viola's like no from the start)

also some non-dystopian ;)
-TFiOS
-The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

message 9: by Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall (last edited Jun 30, 2013 02:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall Well the Legend trilogy does have a love triangle by book two but just for the first one there is none. Wow I honestly cannot think of some without love triangles that haven't been mentioned. Yikes.
Edit:Cold Magic might not be considered YA but there is no love triangle for it, after a little thought. Wolf Tower, Crown Duel(how could I forget!),Aurelia, The Dark Unwinding, Brightly Woven, Beauty, The Blue Sword

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Rosie wrote: "Ebony wrote: "Delirium by Lauren Oliver, Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion, Evernight by Claudia Gray, Harry Potter? if you don't count Snape and Lily, Legend by Mary Lu and yeah thats all I can think of..."

I love The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight! Didn't even think about that one!

EvaCatReads Daughter Of Smoke and Bone, Anna Dressed In Blood, Legend, The Fault In Our Stars, Poison Study, Graceling, The Scorpio Races, Shiver, Warm Bodies,

Lauren Grave Mercy
Found
Its not a YA but its good; The Ark
Margaret Peterson Haddix doesn't have any love triangles in her books...
Hush, Hush and that series
The Angel Experiment

message 13: by Robert (new)

Robert Virtually all of my books have a romantic thread, but none are triangles. In the one where there is an alternate love interest, he is out of the picture by the end of the first chapter. In fact the motivation for the entire story is that he stood her up for the junior prom. Had he not been such a jerk, there would be no story.

Whitney Like pretty much every single one.

Hannah Delirium definitely does have a love triangle. It's a big part of the third book. Anyway some that don't are The Darkest Minds, Reboot, The Archived, Eleanor & Park, most if not all of John Green's books. I'm thinking of a lot of first books in series/one shots because I think when you have a longer series you kind of need that to shake things up a little bit.

But if I may recommend one series that DOES have a love triangle it'd be The Infernal Devices. Seriously, I usually don't like triangles but this one is unlike anything I've ever read or probably ever will read.

Valerie The sliver sea by Julia Golding
Dragonfly by Julia Golding
The glass swallow by Julia Golding
Pucker by Melanie Gideon
Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
Dead Beautiful by Yvonne Woon
Ondine by Ebony Mckenna
Struck by Jennifer Bosworth
Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner
Nobody's prize by Esther Friesner

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

"Divergent" seems not to have any love triangles, "Delirium" doesn't but I think Book 3 will have a serious, crazy love triangle going on I'm sure.

Personally, I notice a huge difference between YA and adult fiction: The adult fiction I am reading now and others in the past don't have love triangles all the time- if a woman loves someone, she loves that one and vice versa.

I guess teen fiction-being written for teens, have plot that is simple but the characters are so complex, teens are at the age where they are on the bridge to adult-hood but still a child. I don't know, but if there is a good enough story I don't mind the triangle.

Olivia Angelfall by Susan Ee
Legend by Marie Lu
Prodigy (second Legend book) by Marie Lu

Olivia The Earth, My Butt and other Big Round Things (I dont know the author)

The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch

Olivia The Earth, My Butt and other Big Round Things (I dont know the author)

The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch

Morgan Rachel wrote: "Parnormalcy by Kiersten White only has one love interest. Same with Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston. I think the Intertwined series by Gena Showalter has only one love interest per character ..."

No, she is conflicted between Lend and Reth, but in the second one, Evie moves on ish...

Nikita Fated has no love triangle. Though don't be fooled even though there's a guy at the start. It ends pretty quickly :)

message 24: by Jessica (last edited Jul 04, 2013 08:38PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jessica "Olivia wrote: "The Earth, My Butt and other Big Round Things (I dont know the author)

The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch"

The Earth, My Butt and other Big Round Things is by Carolyn Mackler
Here's the link
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25......"

Callie The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare does not have a love triangle that I can think of off the top of my head... My favorite book with the least amount of love trianglcy(?) would be The Picture Of Dorian Gray. :)

Brix Dominic Angelfall by Susan Ee.

Shiah Replica - Jenna Black Dystopian (one love interest)
Torn Away - Realistic Fiction (barley any love)
If I Stay - Realistic Fiction (one love interest)
The Percy Jackson series - Rick Riordan
The Heroes of Olympus series - Rick Riordan
(Theres love but no love triangle)
The Way We Fall - Megan Crewe

That's all I could think of off the top of my head.

Aasha Ramlal Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Laini Taylor) - none of the book in the series have a love triangle but there's a fair amount of romance in it.

The Lunar Chronicles (Marissa Meyer)
The Lux series (Jennifer L Armentrout)
Legend (Marie Lu) - the 2nd and 3rd books have a minor love triangle but it doesn't really count.
Firelight (Sophie Jordan)
The Fault in our Stars (John Green)
Pendragon (DJ Machale)
The 5th wave (Rick Yancey)
The book Thief (Markus Zusak)

message 29: by Nila (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nila wow ive been looking for a couple of books that don't involve love triangles....

Kaitlin favreau The last song

message 31: by Deborah (last edited Nov 09, 2014 04:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deborah Technically in TMI there is a love triangle in books 2,3,& 4

the love triangle between Clary, Jace and Simon are books 2 and 3 but not such much book 3.

Then in book 4 it's between Maia,Isabelle and Simon.

Other series that doesn't have a love triangle is Hunting Lila(Sarah Alderson) Mythos Academy(Jennifer Estep) and Bloodlines(Richelle Mead)

Reich I have read awesome YA books that doesn't have a love triangle. Here are my top 3 :)

Penryn and the End of Days by Susan Ee (Angelfall,World After, and End of Days)
The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
The Raven Cycle (technically, it doesn't have a love triangle and very little romance)

message 33: by Emma (new) - rated it 2 stars

Emma I would suggest Incarceron. In this book there is no romance at all, which is why it's one of the best books I've read. (I hate romance). And the awesome thing is there could have been romance between like 3 different character couples, yet there wasn't because in truth it's about survival and escape; not petty teenaged romance.