r/books discussion

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
This topic is about The Lies of Locke Lamora
Monthly Group Read > [Lies of Locke Lamora] Ch. 4- Ch 8

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new)

Stephanie (lastnightsbook) | 346 comments Mod
Hey gang!

I'm posting the discussion post today just in case I'm not around tomorrow. From my reading of our first thread, it seems that The Lies of Locke Lamora is a huge hit, with everyone liking it, even with the lack of female characters at this point. I, personally am loving the way Lynch is using both language and setting to take you someplace completely familiar and unfamiliar at the same time.

My question for everyone, is there anyone who is not liking it? And why? Or anyone who is considering not reading any further?

I look forward to everyone's input. Although, forgive me for being slow in not adding my input, since I'm still trying to catch up, it's been a busy month. Hope everyone is doing great!

message 2: by Ashley (last edited Jun 09, 2013 12:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ashley (icecheeseplease) I'm a few pages away from chapter six...and as far as my previous prediction: (view spoiler)

As far as liking the book, I'm not super crazy about it. The emotional distance of the reader to the characters is still bothering me and I'm just not feeling attached to the characters. I don't even think I would be too upset if someone I liked died at this point. I'll finish reading this novel of course but I don't see myself continuing the series.

Other notes, I'm glad there is an important female role now and that she's not some push-over princess. It's the rough and tough, Nazca: one of the heirs to the Capa Barsavi! I like that she is intelligent and cunning and I look forward to hearing more about her.

I'm also looking forward to the only female Gentleman Bastard to make an appearance. Sabetha has been mentioned several times and I'm sure she will be another important female role, considering Locke is/was in love with her.

That's all for now from me!

Jennifer | 185 comments There is a lot of love going on for Locke in /r/booksuggestions right now in a post about books that suck you in. Thought I'd share!

Jennifer | 185 comments Oops, I stand corrected. It's in /r/fantasy-- which is an obvious spot for Locke love :P

Alex Tveit (vikingabroad) | 33 comments Took me a while to get into the book, but I think the tide is slowly turning now:)

message 6: by Ashley (last edited Jun 12, 2013 10:46AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ashley (icecheeseplease) Sooo I'm about to start Chapter 8 and I just need to say one thing. It's about Nazca so if you haven't read something important about Nazca in Ch 7 then don't reveal this spoiler:

(view spoiler)

Also, there is a constant reminder of the alien race that once inhabited the world of the current characters. They way the alien glass and structures are described is always with awe, admiration, and wonder...

"The five towers loomed over Camorr like the upstretched hand of a god; five irregular, soaring, Elderglass cylinders, dotted with turrets and spires and walkways and much curious evidence that the creatures that had designed them did not quite share the aesthetic sense of the humans who'd appropriated them" (p 362).

I am still very much looking forward to learning more about this alien race although I feel that said race may not come into play until a later novel in the series.

Alex Tveit (vikingabroad) | 33 comments I am past these chapters now, but afraid of reading too much in the next section, because I am finishing that portion up.

I think you are right in terms of the alien race. Feels very much like it is part of building up for future stories, which isn't bad. Wish he had touched upon it a bit more though.

One of my biggest issues with the early parts of this book was exactly your issue with Nazca. Very little character development. I didn't care at all. On the onset, I thought she was going to play a big role, with the setup of her role in regards to Locke. And nothing.....feel bad about not feeling bad/sad.

The book has gotten better after that I feel. More on Locke, a little more on the other characters. Starting out, I felt the book was a 2-3. Now it is moving towards a 3-4. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.