YA Book Gang!! discussion

Archived Items > City Of Bones

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3050 comments Mod
What did you think when you heard City of Bones was becoming a movie? Were you happy, sad, afraid? Do you think the movie will live up to the expectation of the book? Are you wary about going to see it?

message 2: by Jetsy (new)

Jetsy | 11 comments I'm excited and scare at the same time! TMI is my second favorite series (after TID of course) and I really want it to be PERFECT! But most important..I want this movie to have success!! I know they confirmed City of Ashes, but I know we will have to wait until we find out how much $$$$$ the movie earned!! I hoping to be like a trillion dollars (hahahahaha...okay, not that much but higher that its budget). I think I'm gonna become crazy before August!

Natalie (Never trust a duck) I AM SO DANG EXCITED!! When I first heard it was to be a movie I was bouncing off the walls in excitement. I have faith that it'll be good....i hope ;) It's gonna be champ

message 4: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypearl) I'm so excited about this movie! And I hope it'll be good and stay close to the books! I'm not too crazy about some of the actors they chose, but I hope they do good.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Same about the actors. I don't know I pictured Isabelle and Alec differently and from the movie stills it is obvious that Clary is hotter than Isabelle which I don't think is the way in the books and also in nearly every still Clary is in shadowhunter gear, well it looks like shadowhunter gear anyway :/ But on the optimistic side, Jace shirtless was hot and the steles and seraph blades look so cool :D

message 6: by Sydney (last edited Jun 16, 2013 09:50AM) (new)

Sydney (sydneypearl) Yeah. I love the actor they chose for Magnus though! Clary, Alec, and Isabelle I don't think look how they re supposed to in my opinion. Isabelle is supposed to be taller and prettier and look younger, because she looks like 20-something in my opinion. And I always pictured Alec as skinny and awkward.

Natalie (Never trust a duck) I thought they made Jace look like a girl in some of the scenes:/ Also, I thought Magnus was black (though I really like the actor they chose for him) I think the cast looks good though :)

message 8: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypearl) Natalie wrote: "I thought they made Jace look like a girl in some of the scenes:/ Also, I thought Magnus was black (though I really like the actor they chose for him) I think the cast looks good though :)"

Magnus is Asian. It says so only like once though, when they first meet him in City of Bones.

message 9: by Ally (new)

Ally K. I'M SO VERY MAD!!!!!!!! They messed up the whole cast except for Magnus. The only person who is even remotely attractive enough to play Jace is Alex Pettyfer. And Jace DOES NOT HAVE AN ACCENT(the actor doesn't even a sexy one)!! Clary is supposed to have flaming red hair! And how the heck is Jocelyn British but Clary isn't?!?!? Jace kills the ravenger demon in clary's apartment when clary is supposed to! At the vamp hotel it's only supposed to be Jace and clary, not the whole institute! And Simon is supposed to be a rat! These are only a few complaints I have from simply viewing the trailer.......:(

message 10: by Sydney (last edited Jun 26, 2013 07:36PM) (new)

Sydney (sydneypearl) Ally wrote: "I'M SO VERY MAD!!!!!!!! They messed up the whole cast except for Magnus. The only person who is even remotely attractive enough to play Jace is Alex Pettyfer. And Jace DOES NOT HAVE AN ACCENT(the a..."

I agree about the Alex Pettyfer part, and he was actually their first choice as Jace. But, he was the one who turned them down. :(
And I think their British accents are supposed to be their Idris "accents" or something. . . :/

message 11: by Sarah (new)

I wanted Alex Pettyfer too. Oh well we'll have to see how it goes.

Natalie (Never trust a duck) Why Alex WHY!! Does it please you to see us in such pain? :P

message 13: by Jetsy (new)

Jetsy | 11 comments Alex Pettyfer was too my first option but he turned it down bc he didn't wanna to be a "teen idol"...such an A*S!! He did Beastly (which was the most stupid teen movie ever made) but he didn't want to be Jace (moron!) Now I hate him!!

message 14: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Brown (olivemebooks) | 16 comments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzbzWr...

This a link to a new trailer for the City of Bones, it's in german but there are a lot of new scenes! :)

Natalie (Never trust a duck) They make Jace look like a girl in some scenes. I need more of Magnus!!

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Wow that trailer did have a lot of extra stuff :p I'd really prefer Valentine to be blonde :/ I need more of Magnus too!!!!

message 17: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypearl) Natalie wrote: "They make Jace look like a girl in some scenes. I need more of Magnus!!"

I've seen some movies with the guy who plays Jace in them. . . that's just his face. :p

Natalie (Never trust a duck) Sydney wrote: "Natalie wrote: "They make Jace look like a girl in some scenes. I need more of Magnus!!"

I've seen some movies with the guy who plays Jace in them. . . that's just his face. :p"

haha poor bloke. Isn't he in Twilight and Harry Potter?

message 19: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Brown (olivemebooks) | 16 comments Yeah

message 20: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypearl) Natalie wrote: "Sydney wrote: "Natalie wrote: "They make Jace look like a girl in some scenes. I need more of Magnus!!"

I've seen some movies with the guy who plays Jace in them. . . that's just his face. :p"

h..."

He's only in Harry Potter for about 30 seconds. He's one of the Volturi (no sure if I spelled that right) in Twilight, he's also in Sweeney Todd, and Anonymous.

Natalie (Never trust a duck) Sydney wrote: "Natalie wrote: "Sydney wrote: "Natalie wrote: "They make Jace look like a girl in some scenes. I need more of Magnus!!"

I've seen some movies with the guy who plays Jace in them. . . that's just ..."

Thanks! He better do really good as Jace or I will hunt him down
description

message 22: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypearl) Natalie wrote: "Sydney wrote: "Natalie wrote: "Sydney wrote: "Natalie wrote: "They make Jace look like a girl in some scenes. I need more of Magnus!!"

I've seen some movies with the guy who plays Jace in them. ...."

Well. . .that's terrifying! ;D

message 23: by Megan (new)

Megan  :) | 12 comments I was so excited when it was becoming a movie :D I'm a bit scared to see it but it looks like it will live up to the book as much as a movie possibly can!! :0 I was weary about Jamie at first but now I think he'll be absolutely great, and I love Lily Collins and of course Robert Sheehan <3 !!!! :D Exactly a month till we see it...... EXCITEMENT ;)

Natalie (Never trust a duck) OMG IM FREAKING OUT!

Natalie (Never trust a duck) A MONTH?!?!?AHHHH

message 26: by Emily (new)

Emily (demonpoxologist20) I am so excited and i can't wait for the movie to come out! It comes out on my birthday and I am soo going!

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Anyone going opening night? !!!!!! :D

Natalie (Never trust a duck) I wish! I have school UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

message 29: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypearl) I want to! But I don't think I'll be able to make it.
:(

Natalie (Never trust a duck) Off topic, but I heard Sea of Monsters was kinda bad :(

message 31: by Sarah (last edited Aug 07, 2013 09:19AM) (new)

Really???? :( I think City Of Bones is coming out here on the 23rd.

Natalie (Never trust a duck) Yeah, I feel really upset now, but COB looks good :D

message 33: by Sarah (new)

It does!!!! :D

Natalie (Never trust a duck) except Jace's hair, it just...........isn't good

message 35: by Sarah (new)

I must look at that now :p

Natalie (Never trust a duck) haha you must

message 37: by Sarah (new)

You're right about the hair :/ I love his accent though :p

message 38: by Maria (new)

Maria | 31 comments I would go, but on 23rd I'm on vacation (Mauritius here I come :D)

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Haha ya :p I hope you have a good time :D

message 40: by Ally (new)

Ally K. i was very mad but after seeing a sneak peek clip of it, jamie and the rest of the movie is really growing on me although clary still should of killed the demon but i really kinda like jamie as jace after i saw the "i did just save your life' part in the clip! cant wait to see it put am still a little peeved!

message 41: by Carmen ❾¾ (new)

Carmen ❾¾ (happyendinglover) I like the voces un english but i HATE them in spanish, they're horrible!

message 42: by Megan (new)

Megan  :) | 12 comments I saw an ad on tv and it comes out on 21st :D Ahhhh excitement! :D

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Just saw the ad on the tv :D it's finally becoming real!!!!

Natalie (Never trust a duck) MAGNUS MAGNUS MAGNUS MAGNUS

message 45: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypearl) Natalie (Never trust a duck) wrote: "MAGNUS MAGNUS MAGNUS MAGNUS"

That's my reaction every time I see the preview. :D

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Ahhhh Magnus!!!!! :p <3

message 47: by Shelby (new)

Shelby A | 53 comments This is a review I foun on a website caled tmisource.com and I copied it so I did not write this and it is poker free but has a few bad words so to ease ur mind about the movie hear it is

Shadowhunters! I was lucky to attend an advance screening of The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones on Thursday and I have so much I want to share. I won’t be talking spoilers until the film’s released, but here is my spoiler-free general reaction review of The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones.

Being a Mortal Instruments fan site and all it’s easy to believe I’m a little biased when I say that The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones was the best book-to-film adaptation ever. But it’s the truth. There are going to be changes with any adaptation – and there were changes with City of Bones – but the changes didn’t take away from Cassandra Clare’s story. They actually worked. As a fan of the book, I understand that fans want everything to be exactly as it is in the book. And there’s nothing wrong with that. But with every book-to-movie adaptation, change is inevitable. You just have to embrace it. It’s hard to cram a 400+ page book into a two-hour movie. But Constantin Film pulled it off.

One of the changes that fans may or may not be familiar with is the fact that they aged the characters up from 15-16 to 18-19 years old. It’s one of those things that book purists might point to when saying the studio took liberties, but it actually worked to the film’s advantage. The movie was able to take on a darker, more seductive tone. The book was dark, but the film was even darker. I believe that it worked to its advantage.

The strongest aspect of this film was by far the acting. The entire cast nailed their characters from Jamie Campbell Bower as Jace to CCH Pounder as Madame Dorothea to Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Valentine to Lily Collins as Clary to Robert Sheehan as Simon and so much more. It was A+ acting all around.

Lily embodied everything that Clary Fray is. As she’s getting thrown twists and turns every five minutes, Lily is believable and she’s never the victim. She’s always fighting for answers and never gets distracted from her true goal: finding her mother. She’s a strong female character and truly impresses in his movie. Lily was brilliant.

But the one actor that will have you bowing down to him by film’s end is Jamie Campbell Bower. Jamie embodied everything that is Jace Wayland and more. After visiting the film set last September, talking to him and seeing footage from the film, I was already confident. But after the movie I left in absolute awe. Everything from his mannerisms to his delivery was spot-on and really commanded attention. His banter with Robert Sheehan’s Simon was a constant throughout the film that was really something special. I know in the beginning a lot of people wanted a different actor to play the role, but honestly no one else could have played Jace the way Jamie did. Jamie is Jace. And you’ll walk out of the theater believing it, if you don’t already.

Jonathan Rhys Meyers flat out scared me as Valentine in the best possible way imaginable. One of the things that myself, along with fans, were a little iffy about was the hair. Not only was it not white, but they gave Valentine dreds, which made it kind of hard to take him seriously. But when Jonathan comes on screen he commands attention and his portrayal of Valentine was downright brilliant and terrifying.

Robert Sheehan as Simon was the most adorable thing ever. Seriously. Robbie got Simon down to a tee and his comedic timing was sheer brilliance. Robbie was also able to capture Simon’s vulnerability perfectly. His scenes with Lily and Jamie were truly special. His scenes with Lily’s Clary were both beautiful and heartbreaking, as we see Simon go from the best friend to the guy in the background and the aftereffects. My favorite thing was his banter with Jamie’s Jace and it’s one thing that fans will really appreciate and will still be laughing hysterically over when they leave the theater.

Kevin Zegers and Jemima West as Alec and Isabelle Lightwood were perfection. Alec is such a beloved and complex character, like all of Cassie’s characters, and Kevin really played that to its fullest. He didn’t make Alec all about his sexuality. He made Alec about the values that believed in and what he fights for. It wasn’t just when he was in the forefront, it was when he was in the background behind Jace or Clary that he shone. Those looks and reactions were genius. He really portrayed Alec’s frustration well. Jemima was everything I wanted and didn’t realize I’d wanted in Isabelle. She was badass, vulnerable, mysterious and every time she was on screen it was something special. She went from being such a sweetheart in real life to being a complete badass as Izzy.

The rest of the supporting cast (because this could literally stretch on forever if I go actor-by-actor): Godfrey Gao, Lena Headey, Aidan Turner, Jared Harris, CCH Pounder. They were brilliant. Magnus is such a beloved character and I think Godfrey Gao did him justice. There isn’t much Magnus in the first book, but there is an extra scene in the movie with Magnus that you didn’t get to see in the book. Lena Headey in the short time she had as Jocelyn was such a badass it blew me away. Aidan Turner was truly something special as Luke. He had such charisma, seriousness and vulnerability in the role, which made me love him so much more. Jared Harris was truly astonishing as Hodge. He was able to portray Hodge’s inner turmoil with such grace and dignity. CCH Pounder was amazing as Madame Dorothea. She was so great to watch and it was an honor being scared by her.

One of the concerns that I’ve heard from numerous fans is about the humor. Did Cassie’s genius humor make the cut? I’m here to assure you that it did. A lot of fans voiced their concern because of the serious tone of the trailers. Aside from the “Have a little faith,” line from Jamie, people said it was too serious. But you have to understand that in the trailers they’re trying to convey the message of this epic good versus evil battle. That’s the storyline they’re pitching to audiences. The humor is important and definitely grounds the film. I will tease you in saying that there are some lines from City of Bones that make it into the film. So be on the lookout for those!

The sets on this movie were absolutely breathtaking. I remember touring the set last year and being in absolute awe of these sets. And seeing them on screen with all of these pivotal moments happening in them was amazing.

The music in the film was beautiful. I know fans were worried about the soundtrack, but it’s the score that makes-or-breaks a film. And this score was gorgeous. It flowed really well with the film. There were a couple of songs from the soundtrack in the movie, but it blended nicely with the score.

After the film had ended and I watched the credits roll, I sat there taking it all in. I’ve been waiting years for this movie and to see it on screen in all of its perfection was truly surreal. I left the theater wanting more, but also wanting to get back inside and watch the movie again. I want to thank everyone involved with the making of the film for such an amazing product. This movie was epic, mind-blowing, action-packed, thrilling and had me on the edge of my seat. It was everything I was hoping for and so much more.

message 48: by Jetsy (new)

Jetsy | 11 comments Shelby wrote: "This is a review I foun on a website caled tmisource.com and I copied it so I did not write this and it is poker free but has a few bad words so to ease ur mind about the movie hear it is

Shadowh..."

I....I....can't.....breathe!! OMG!! I need to see the movie right now!!

message 49: by Shelby (new)

Shelby A | 53 comments Jetsy wrote: "Shelby wrote: "This is a review I foun on a website caled tmisource.com and I copied it so I did not write this and it is poker free but has a few bad words so to ease ur mind about the movie hear ..."

glad u liked it

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Ahhhhh I booked my ticket!!!!! :D that review makes me what to see it more and the new clips that came out. Ahhhhhhh I love it :D

« previous 1