Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)
This topic is about The Immortal Rules
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Kagawa, Julie - The Immortal Rules (Young Adult) Start July 12th

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 16, 2013 02:14AM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30646 comments Mod

This thread is for the discussion of The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa. Be prepared for spoilers!

Synopsis:

To survive in a ruined world, she must embrace the darkness…

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a walled-in city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them—the vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself dies and becomes one of the monsters.

Forced to flee her city, Allie must pass for human as she joins a ragged group of pilgrims seeking a legend—a place that might have a cure for the disease that killed off most of civilization and created the rabids, the bloodthirsty creatures who threaten human and vampire alike. And soon Allie will have to decide what and who is worth dying for…again.

Enter Julie Kagawa's dark and twisted world as an unforgettable journey begins.

Chapter Breakdown:

Date Chapter Pages PPDQ
July 12 Ch 01 - Ch 04 009-082 Sonia
July 13 Ch 05 - Ch 06 083-135 Sonia&Lisarenee
July 14 Ch 07 - Ch 10 136-199 Lisarenee
July 15 Ch 11 - Ch 12 200-264 Lisarenee
July 16 Ch 13 - Ch 15 265-318
July 17 Ch 16 - Ch 19 319-370
July 18 Ch 20 - Ch 22 371-432
July 19 Ch 23 - The End 432-485

*PPDQs = Person Posting Discussion Questions

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Reserved

Ozana Ozzy (barbozzy) | 1018 comments Great,
I red her Iron Fay series which is great and I bought Immortal rules and sequel Eternity cure...so I'm looking forward to this one especially as in June my work will slow down.

message 4: by Jess (new) - added it

Jess (jesshatcher) | 4 comments Sounds great!!! I am a newbie so this will be my first "book club" read (if that's what you call it!!!). Better get the book and finish my current book! :)

Ozana Ozzy (barbozzy) | 1018 comments Welcome!

message 6: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Jess,
 photo cid_0EDD302757104894BB2376A695AE211_zpsc8800ce9.gif

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Earmarking this thread because I might read this. I need to see if it's available at my library and if I can make room for it in my July reading plan.

Faith St. Amour (faithbookworm) | 1 comments I already read this book and the sequel and I absolutely loved them both! Great books by an amazing author.

Christine (inhalesbookslikepopcorn) | 1050 comments I already read this book, but I might be lurking around and I am also waiting that The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2) by Julie Kagawa may become an official/inofficial buddy read in the near future?

message 10: by Imke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments I'm going to join in. Is there going to be a reading schedule?

message 11: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14147 comments Mod
Hi Imke - Yes, Jex has done a draft schedule that will be finalised and posted shortly. It will be around 60 pages a day :)

message 12: by Imke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Great!!!!!

message 13: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14147 comments Mod
:)
Time just flys by! I can't believe it is almost the 12th!!

message 14: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Reading Schedule posted.

Mette (therealmette) I might join this... Would be my first group read :D

Mette (therealmette) OK, just bought a kindle version (which has a really nice price!), so I'm in :D

message 17: by Afsana (last edited Jul 10, 2013 12:07PM) (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) | 219 comments I coincidently bought this book in june- never tried this author may give it ago

Sonia (darktalynn) | 9997 comments Questions and Comments for chapters 1 – 4

1. There are few better ways to introduce us to a new society and its rules than a public execution. What was your first impression of the society, with the vampire masters and branding, the blood tribute, the pets and food tickets, the Taken and the Unregistered, and the fringers?

2. When I think about a pack I think of a bit bickering and some rivalry but also cohesion, loyalty, protection and friendship. That notion was totally shattered by Rat's invasion of Allie's room. He was stealing from her? And tried to bully her? What does that tell us about unregistered groups? They fight against rival groups and between themselves? So why not to be alone in the first place?

3. Then we have Stick. What do you think about him? I found something really strange about him. He doesn't hunt, or dig, or beg, and is afraid to going outside. Is it a bit odd that, given his lack of "unregistered qualities," he has no brand? And what of his selfish attitude and bitter words to Allie who is feeding him, really?

4. The section structures, fences, and heavy guarded exterior remind me a bit of the Hunger Games, save for the rabids. The deer scene and Allie's flight through the window was a bit scary. I'm not "Unregistered Material". Will you choose the branding and bleeding given the other options?

5. Mole men eating people. Yuck. So we have Vampires feeding from Humans, Humans eating rats and other vermin when hungry; but, crossing the line to cannibalism is a bit too far, don't you agree?

6. BOOK QUOTE:
“Deer, rabids, and now freaking mole men in the tunnels. No one is going to believe this. I shook my head and huddled lower, clutching the handle of my knife. Now all I need is a vampire to come sauntering through and it’ll be perfect.” I confess, that line make me smile since I pretty much figured it out what will happen next. Do you think, as Allie did, that the strange man can be the something or someone the other vampires were searching for?

7. After all the pep talk about Lucas, Rat and Allie leaving Stick to fend for himself against a vampire, she cuts herself to protect him from the rabbids? That is not a self preservation instinct of a street rat, don't you agree? And how about the cutting part? He was bleeding, it was his blood that attracted the rabbid, and it was her tiny cut that caused all the rabbids to go after her?

8. Do you think Stick survived? That he actually listened to her and was able to run and find his way back home? If so, how do you think he manage to survive all alone on the streets? Any crazy predictions?

9. Again, back to the strange,solitary vampire. Any theories why he's so different from the others? Luckily for Allie she caused a good impression. Don't you find it a bit ironic that after all that talk about despising vampires, about taking back what was stolen and starting something that she chooses to become one of them? Would you choose to be true to yourself for the last time, or surviving, no matter the cost?

10. What do you think about the book so far and the writing style? Do you enjoy Allison's voice?

message 19: by Imke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Questions and Comments for chapters 1 – 4

1. There are few better ways to introduce us to a new society and its rules than a public execution. What was your first impression of the society, with the vampire masters and branding, the blood tribute, the pets and food tickets, the Taken and the Unregistered, and the fringers?
Thank god I hadn’t had my breakfast yet when I read that first part. My first impression when reading the first chapter was confusing. I reread the first chapter on way back home from work and it made much more sense. We got a lot of information in the first few pages, but this society seems a very grim place to live in it is everyone for themselves and pure survival.

2. When I think about a pack I think of a bit bickering and some rivalry but also cohesion, loyalty, protection and friendship. That notion was totally shattered by Rat's invasion of Allie's room. He was stealing from her? And tried to bully her? What does that tell us about unregistered groups? They fight against rival groups and between themselves? So why not to be alone in the first place?
Rat was a new addition to the gang and I didn’t think he was very trustworthy, probably explains his name besides his tooth. When Allie describes the gang and the people in it that they do care about each other, but when it comes to food it’s every man/women for himself/herself. And why they do not just stay by themselves, I think there is safety in numbers they do look out for each other.

3. Then we have Stick. What do you think about him? I found something really strange about him. He doesn't hunt, or dig, or beg, and is afraid to going outside. Is it a bit odd that, given his lack of "unregistered qualities," he has no brand? And what of his selfish attitude and bitter words to Allie who is feeding him, really?
Stick is his own worst enemy. He will never be able to make it on his own, he better register himself. It’s strange that Allie still takes care of him I wouldn’t have had the patience.

4. The section structures, fences, and heavy guarded exterior remind me a bit of the Hunger Games, save for the rabids. The deer scene and Allie's flight through the window was a bit scary. I'm not "Unregistered Material". Will you choose the branding and bleeding given the other options?
It reminded me of the hunger games to, except that here the “Masters” lock themselves in as well. I’ll probably will choose branding and bleeding as well.

5. Mole men eating people. Yuck. So we have Vampires feeding from Humans, Humans eating rats and other vermin when hungry; but, crossing the line to cannibalism is a bit too far, don't you agree?
I agree, these mole men are very strange, it comes I think from staying underground all the time, they have gone mad.

6. BOOK QUOTE: “Deer, rabids, and now freaking mole men in the tunnels. No one is going to believe this. I shook my head and huddled lower, clutching the handle of my knife. Now all I need is a vampire to come sauntering through and it’ll be perfect.” I confess, that line make me smile since I pretty much figured it out what will happen next. Do you think, as Allie did, that the strange man can be the something or someone the other vampires were searching for?
I think so too, he seems to be some kind of rebel. If he was part of the system he would have killed Allie or “arrested” her and then executed her.

7. After all the pep talk about Lucas, Rat and Allie leaving Stick to fend for himself against a vampire, she cuts herself to protect him from the rabbids? That is not a self preservation instinct of a street rat, don't you agree? And how about the cutting part? He was bleeding, it was his blood that attracted the rabbid, and it was her tiny cut that caused all the rabbids to go after her?
I’m still baffled as to why Allie keeps trying to protect Stick, if he was her brother or boyfriend I may understand, I just don’t understand their relationship. She did scream and wave her bleading hand at the rabids, they aren’t very smart I think.

8. Do you think Stick survived? That he actually listened to her and was able to run and find his way back home? If so, how do you think he manage to survive all alone on the streets? Any crazy predictions?
If he did survive this he had won’t survive long after. He’ll probably gets eaten by the mole men.

9. Again, back to the strange,solitary vampire. Any theories why he's so different from the others? Luckily for Allie she caused a good impression. Don't you find it a bit ironic that after all that talk about despising vampires, about taking back what was stolen and starting something that she chooses to become one of them? Would you choose to be true to yourself for the last time, or surviving, no matter the cost?
She was afraid to die, she didn’t know what was waiting for her. I think she sees it as a way to still make what she wants happen, that humans fight back. Teaching people to read and get them to realize what the world was like before. I’m not sure but I think I might make the same choice.

10. What do you think about the book so far and the writing style? Do you enjoy Allison's voice?
I like the book, I did have to reread the first part again, I was very tired this morning on my way to work and it was just too much. I like the style and I like Allie, she is very down to earth and takes things as they come, the only thing I don’t understand about her is her relationship with Sticks, the way she takes (took) care of him.

Mette (therealmette) Reply: Questions and Comments for chapters 1 – 4

This scene reminded me of the opening of The Pillars of the Earth. It's a wonderful introduction that sucked me right into that dystopian world... There is a lot of information right at the beginning, which I always find tough yet interesting at the same time. Kagawa certainly chose a good place to start the story since all the elements of that fictional world are in it.

I was a bit surprised by Rat's first scene as well, but things soon started making sense. Like Imke said, Rat was new to the group and even though mean, he's good at stealing (from anyone, as it turns out). The reason he's in the group is probably that his good features overshadow his bad features.

Stick I found very annoying, but at the same time I do understand Allie's feelings towards him. It's hard to let someone die just like that, and I think Stick was a bit like a little brother to Allie.

Good point. A lot of things in this book remind me of The Hunger Games, there's the tough female protagonist as well. It's hard to say what path I'd choose myself, or anyone would... I think it definitely depends on your upbringing, but yes, it's also in your nature... Right now I'd tend more towards saying I'd be an unregistered, because I can't handle dictator-esque authorities... But who knows.

The mole men fit perfectly into the world of this book I think. I love me some cannibalism, as morbid as that sounds, but yeah. It's one of the most disgusting things in the world, but who knows what madness and hunger can do to people.

6. BOOK QUOTE: “Deer, rabids, and now freaking mole men in the tunnels. No one is going to believe this. I shook my head and huddled lower, clutching the handle of my knife. Now all I need is a vampire to come sauntering through and it’ll be perfect.” I confess, that line make me smile since I pretty much figured it out what will happen next. Do you think, as Allie did, that the strange man can be the something or someone the other vampires were searching for?
Could be, definitely. Allie didn't say anything about independent vampires, or vampires that live outside the Inner Wall, so the strange man must be some sort of outlaw...?

She was torn between her survival instinct and her instinct to help others, so she made a spontaneous decision to do something good. Well, we've seen Twilight so we know what a drop of blood can do to some "persons" ;). No, honestly, it doesn't have to be illogical because suddenly the rabbid smelled something new... perhaps it was just confused by that.

Don't think so. But again, who knows. He might be good at hiding, at least in my mind he's a very skinny little fellow. I do think that one of the three survived.

Perhaps he's an adventurer who doesn't like all the rules of the Prince... or he doesn't like being under the reign of the Prince at any rate. Maybe he did something bad... Hmmm... I can't wait to find out more. I was thinking, in that scene where Allie has to decide, I'd have chosen just the same thing. There's always hope, like the strange vampire says. Hope to be different, to do good.

Absolutely loving it so far. It's very suspenseful and I love the genre(s), it has a female protagonist and takes place in a dystopian world/ future... what else could I wish for? I just hope the love story (and there's going to be one, that's for sure) is going to be original and interesting as well.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 9997 comments Questions and Comments for chapters 5 – 6

11. Thoughts about Kanin? He does seem to take the making of a new born vampire seriously.Do you think he encountered trouble in the past?

12. What do you think about Kanin's teachings? The way he chose to show Allie that she's no longer human but a predator was as harsh as it was efficient. A crash-course of how to be a vampire with a lot of tough love.

13. Kanin is a master. And a powerful one, since she didn't became a rabid. But he has no city, no second vampire, and his path is one to be walked alone. What can be his secret? Or his crime since he's clearly on the run?

14. I'm curious, what kind of vampire did he make Allie? Could she be a master or is she lower? A Master can sire type-2s and Masters, right?

15. The vampires forbid books and reading, burn schools and museums, and bury all human knowledge. What do you think? Coincidence? Do you think this is to keep humans under their thumb, or could they be afraid of being overpowered?

16. So, vampires are all rabid infected, does that mean if a cure is discovered for rabids, it will kill both the vampires and the rabids or will rabids become vampires?

17. An Asian girl chooses a samurai sword. Cliche much? But, better yet, how does Kanin knows so much about human history? Is he that old?

18. Did you notice the cover is not of an Asian girl. Why did they do that? There are plenty of pretty Asian girls out there. I was a touch annoyed by this.

19. The vampires said that Kanin has a cursed bloodline. Does that mean he’s a descendant of the master that was the cause of the rabids? Or maybe the master himself?

message 22: by Imke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Questions and Comments for chapters 5 – 6

11. Thoughts about Kanin? He does seem to take the making of a new born vampire seriously. Do you think he encountered trouble in the past?
I like Kanin, he seems to honest and tells Allie how things are. He doesn’t sugarcoat everything. I think it’s obvious he encountered trouble in the past, I’m curious to know what it is.

12. What do you think about Kanin's teachings? The way he chose to show Allie that she's no longer human but a predator was as harsh as it was efficient. A crash-course of how to be a vampire with a lot of tough love.
He’s honest with Allie, and I think it’s for the best she learns quickly.

13. Kanin is a master. And a powerful one, since she didn't became a rabid. But he has no city, no second vampire, and his path is one to be walked alone. What can be his secret? Or his crime since he's clearly on the run?
I think he is against the current regime. He definitely has no problems killing other vampires. He probably did something to another prince and lost his city.

14. I'm curious, what kind of vampire did he make Allie? Could she be a master or is she lower? A Master can sire type-2s and Masters, right?
I thinks she’ll either be a type-2s or a master. But becoming a master rarely happens.

15. The vampires forbid books and reading, burn schools and museums, and bury all human knowledge. What do you think? Coincidence? Do you think this is to keep humans under their thumb, or could they be afraid of being overpowered?
They do this to keep the humans ignorant from what life was like before the epidemic. So definitely not coincidence. It is a coincidence that the museum collection is still there, if the vampires knew it would have been burned to the ground.

16. So, vampires are all rabid infected, does that mean if a cure is discovered for rabids, it will kill both the vampires and the rabids or will rabids become vampires?
I don’t think there is a cure, the masters and type-2s are too strong to be much effected by the disease and are only carriers, the lowest type of vampire could be effected and become rabids, rabids will definitely not become vampires, they are already vampires.

17. An Asian girl chooses a samurai sword. Cliche much? But, better yet, how does Kanin knows so much about human history? Is he that old?
I think he is that old, and he was able to learn the history of humans.

18. Did you notice the cover is not of an Asian girl. Why did they do that? There are plenty of pretty Asian girls out there. I was a touch annoyed by this.
I think there are a few covers with an Asian girl on them, the German cover at the start of this topic has an Asian girl on it and she’s carrying a samurai sword.
Unsterblich. Tor der Dämmerung (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa

19. The vampires said that Kanin has a cursed bloodline. Does that mean he’s a descendant of the master that was the cause of the rabids? Or maybe the master himself?
Maybe he was sired by the master who caused the rabids to happen, I don’t think he is the master who caused all this.

message 23: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for chapters 7 – 10

20) If you were in Allie's position, could you stay away from your old life? Would you have approached Stick?

21) Were you surprised by Stick's betrayal? After all she'd done for him, he just saw her as a vampire. Do you think he will gain a better position for himself by tattling? Will he become a pet?

22) If you could only be up and awake at night, what would you miss most?

23) What did you think of the scary vampire (aka Sarran / psycho vamp) who Allie found in her old room? What did he mean when he said, "Little bird, your song is so different than his. Don't disappoint me?" I wonder how he knew who sired her? How did he survive without becoming a Rabid? Could his blood hold the key?

24) So now we know Kanin's great sin. Does his secret change your opinion of him? Is he like the other vampires? Do you think all his preaching to Allie about humans could be from his own experiences and he was trying to spare Allie from the same?

25)Do you think Kanin escaped?

26) So Kanin's prediction came to pass. Allie killed two people. How do you think she will survive in an area with very few people? Any predictions?

message 24: by Imke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Questions and Comments for chapters 7 – 10

20) If you were in Allie's position, could you stay away from your old life? Would you have approached Stick?
I couldn’t have stayed away from my old life, you would want to say goodbye. I’m not sure if I would have contacted Stick or anyone else, it would be more of a silent goodbye.

21) Were you surprised by Stick's betrayal? After all she'd done for him, he just saw her as a vampire. Do you think he will gain a better position for himself by tattling? Will he become a pet?
No, I wasn’t surprised. Stick does whatever he can to get out of a scary situation and just doesn’t want to fend for himself he will always look at others for what to do and then wine about it. I don’t think he will become a pet.

The sun and the way everything looks in daylight. Contact with “normal” people.

23) What did you think of the scary vampire (aka Sarran / psycho vamp) who Allie found in her old room? What did he mean when he said, "Little bird, your song is so different than his. Don't disappoint me?" I wonder how he knew who sired her? How did he survive without becoming a Rabid? Could his blood hold the key?
Sarran is very scary and I think there is more to his story, I’m curious to find out what it is. I think he meant the way Allie talks to people, she is very direct. I think he follows/followed Kanin and saw how he “saved” Allie. He’s probably a master vampire and that’s how he survived the virus, though it did affect him in the head department.

24) So now we know Kanin's great sin. Does his secret change your opinion of him? Is he like the other vampires? Do you think all his preaching to Allie about humans could be from his own experiences and he was trying to spare Allie from the same?
No, it doesn’t change my opinion. He may be different from other vampires, just because of what he went through. I don’t think he was trying to spare Allie from his own experiences, because she probably will have those as well. I think he tried to warn her not to let it affect her to much.

Yes

26) So Kanin's prediction came to pass. Allie killed two people. How do you think she will survive in an area with very few people? Any predictions?
She’ll probably find more people if she keeps following the road. Maybe she finds another vampire city.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 9997 comments Questions and Comments for chapters 7 – 10

Probably. Specially after seeing how he was treated by the other street rats. I'm too loyal to my friends and I expect they feel the same way.

I was. Allie took care of him. Starve because of him. And that's the way he pay her? He's too week to be a pet. He remainds me of that sleezy guy on the movie "The Mummy" and I'm hoping for a painful end as well.

22) If you could only be up and awake at night, what would you miss most? I can't live without the sun, the warm breeze from the beach on a Summer afternoon, so it would be another adaptation.

He was scary. But since he was a victim of the experiments, maybe that scarred him for life. I think he was curious about Allie and followed her and then hit the jackpot when Kanin went outside to set the traps. I believe all Kanin's research was to understand why Sarran didn't turn into a rabid and what does that mean.

No it doesn't. I suspect he was the one involved, for all his research. Plus he carried a great burden inside. being the reason for almost the end of the world isn't something that left you untouched. Maybe he's a better person/vampire because of that. A regular vampire would let Allie to die, and he gave her the choice to continue living.

I'm hoping so, but I'm not sure. I don't think we have heard the last of him.

She spent too much time without food. I'm hoping that next time it continue to be bad guys instead of nice people.

Ozana Ozzy (barbozzy) | 1018 comments Chapters from 1-10
As this is dystopian society and if you red a few books that genre this is common thing in that kind society. Blood tribute and human pets, nothing new and supriseing.

Human is not a being that can be alone for a long time and even in this kind of society thievery and stealing is so common. We see that examples every day in our lives.

In my opinion, he is a coward, afraid of everything and if not for Allie he'll be dead or pet.

I am not sure what I'll choose and lucky for me to only read about it.

Cannibalism is discusteing, but that part about mole man I didn't understand very well, who are mole man. people who lives underground, without rabid dessise who feeds on human!?

It was very predictible quote. That was certanly Kanin who watched Allie in few occasions.

I think point of that situation is that show Allies character, she is willing to sacrifice herself for others. That was her understanding to be a part of the group and to show us her humanity.

He survived and maybe he went to vampires to be a pet.

When you have to choose between life and death I'll definitely choose to be a vampire and not to die. After all, only you can decide what kind of animal you can become
So far it is only beginning and introduction of Allison personality.

11. Thoughts about Kanin? He does seem to take the making of a new born vampire seriously.Do you think he encountered trouble in the past?
When he gave a choice to Allie we see that he is different but also on his behavior and irritation we see that he has been burn before.

Best way to learn is to burn yourself. Allie is still clinging to her old life and she will have to learn hard way.

He has some strange secret but he survive on his own for a long time.

Maybe Allie in the end will became master and find a cure.

World is vaneing and if humans learn about human race and his history maybe they will rebel against their masters.

I really don't know how rabids starts after all to be a profit what will writer will invent next.

Masters vampires are usually old and maybe he lived few 1000 years of human history.

Kagawa as Asian herself chooses to name her character Sakemoto and samurai katana. It is so predictable. On the other hand cover is white girl, maybe because of readers.

I can't guess that at all.

I would go to see stick. She is new vampire and she still doesn't see herself as vampire. So she made a mistake.

I wasn't surprise of his betrayal. It was expected of him. He will become a pet or other vise he won't survive.

I will miss sunsets and sunrise and sun beaches.

Kagawa didn't explained much about Kanins past and experiments. Why or how I still don't know to guess.

We already guess his past from his actions and teachings. All the teachings are from his own expirience.

He was catched.

She will meet someone on her way because she is Hungry for human blood and animals blood can't sate her.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 9997 comments @Ozana:
#5: yes, I think the mole men are exactly that. My theory is that they fled to the tunnels a long time ago and "changed" to be more adapted to life in the tunnels. And hunger made them whiling to eat anything that is edible, including people.

#7: Now that you mention it, it makes more sense.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 9997 comments @Imke:

18:The German cover is beautiful. And the only one where Allie is Asian :(
Ozana may be right and is that way for marketing purposes.

message 29: by Imke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments @Sonia:
I think so too. Usually the publisher decides on the cover. The next book in the series does have an Asian girl on the cover (at least my version does) The Eternity Cure (Blood Of Eden, #2) by Julie Kagawa there is also an other one that looks a bit Asianisch (if that is even a word) The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden #2) by Julie Kagawa . They may have had complaints from readers.

Ozana Ozzy (barbozzy) | 1018 comments @ Sonia
# 5 As for mole man...If they adapted to situation and live in holes and eat humans, what's the difference between vampires, mole man and rabids. Common is that all eat humans one way or the other. I know distinction between all of them and maybe while we'll read book further Allie will meet all of them.
Interesting is that story Kanin told Allie how rabids become like that and how only vampire master can create decent vampires.

Mette (therealmette) Questions and Comments for chapters 5 – 6

Most certainly, the question is what kind of trouble. Something happened to his last new born vampire too I think.

He's smart and so is his way of teaching. He only wants the best for Allie.

Like Imke, I think Kanin is against the regime in their town (and I'm guessing that of other towns as well). And I also think he's something to do with the rabids.

Yeah, so one of the two.

Don't know whether they're really afraid of the humans but they want to keep them as dumb as possible.

I haven't really understood the whole cure and disease part... I guess the cure would cure people who are infected but other than that it's hard to say.

It's nice... there's a historical connection and I like it. The wand chooses the wizard, Harry ;)

That's why I was so startled when the gang members called Allie an Asian chick. I had a caucasian woman in mind because of the cover. The German cover is cool but I must say I like the others more... or I did until I found out she was Asian.

Yes, I think he is. Kanin's creator must've been someone whom the other vampires didn't like.

Haven't read chapter 10 yet but I will tonight and then answer the next bunch of question. I really like this book group so far, because it makes me read more. When I have some spare time it's not like "I could do this or that or read or this..." but it's "Yeah, so I'll read".

message 32: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 11 - 12

27) At first when I began reading chapter 11 I wondered why Allie didn't just take the car. Then I did a head smack. She wouldn't know the first thing about driving one.

28) What do you make of Allie burrowing into the earth? Do you like this survival skill? I can only imagine how dirty she'd look when she'd awake the next evening.

29) Any idea what city and state Allie grew up in? Is New Covington it's original name?

30) Were you surprised to learn people had a hard time distinguishing vampires from people?

31) Do you think it was wise of Allie to travel with humans?

32) What is your first impression of the group Allie is traveling, specifically Zeke (short for Ezekiel)? Do you think the name could be a bit of foreshadowing? He's supposedly named after an archangel. BTW, I couldn't find anything about an archangel named Ezekiel being mentioned in the bible, but I did find mention of a prophet named Ezekiel. I did, however, find some sites that claimed Ezekiel is the Archangel of Death and Transformation. That is interesting. Was Dorothy totally off her rocker about Zeke being the angel of death, or was she on to something?

33) Do you think Eden exists or are they on a wild goose chase?

34) What did you think of Jebbadiah's punishment and Tribulation speech? Something tells me he is not going to like any vampire. That includes Allie if he finds out she's one. Do you predict they'll discover what she is? Do you think she'll be able to win them over beforehand if they do?

35) Ruth doesn't like Allie. Sounds like she had designs on Zeke. Do you think she'll cause trouble for Allie?

message 33: by Imke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Questions and comments for chapters 11-12.

27. I didn't think about that , but when would she have had the driving lessons.

28. Smart move, the sun can't catch you underground. I like this survival skill except that the rabits are using this skill to attack people.

29. No idea, New Covington is probably a new name. I think it wasn't a very big city.

30. Not really.

31. Yes, her food is there and they keep the same hours.

32. Dorothy is of her rocker, specially with her talk about angels.

33. Eden exists.

34. They will discover what she is, but I think she will tell Zeke first.

35. Ruth has feelings for Zeke and she is already causing trouble for Allie. But I think she will be the one to tell everyone that Allie is a vampire.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 9997 comments Questions and Comments for chapters 13 - 15

36. Allie seems to be winning the fight with her Hunger so far. How long will she able to resist? Do you think she'll feed on any member of the group? Ruth appears as a huge candidate so far.

37. Were you surprised by Jeb's reaction picking up Bethany? Do you think that saving the little girl will pend in Allie's favor if they find out she's a vampire?

38. Is it me, or is Zeke too naive, too idealist to be the second in command? Worse, Allie seems to be doing the same thing. Helping a stranger smelling like food when she's getting hungrier by the minute? This smells like disaster to me.

39. Thoughts about the Archers? Their little fortress in the middle of nowhere is something.

40. Are Allie's suspicions right about someone near her bedroom? Do you think the old woman was suspicious about her stillness during sleep?

41. Are you shocked that they locked up Joe in a cage? He's hurt and bleeding. It doesn't fit with the way they welcomed his return. Do you think he'll turn into a rabid?

42. The barn scene with the kids and the baby goat was so sweet. Will Allison be able to resist the temptation of the sleeping children? I sure hope so or else her humanity will not recover.

43. What did you think of the "Your're so cute I could put you in a pie." comment? Creepy or just an old lady's strange way of telling him he's cute? I don't think I've ever heard that one before.

message 35: by Imke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Questions and Comments for chapters 13 – 15

36. Allie seems to be winning the fight with her Hunger so far. How long will she able to resist? Do you think she'll feed on any member of the group? Ruth appears as a huge candidate so far.
Not much longer I think, she having more and more trouble pulling herself back every time someone gets close. She’ll definitely feed on someone from the group, I don’t think it will be from Ruth if she gets caught she will be cast out and Ruth doesn’t trust Allie.

37. Were you surprised by Jeb's reaction picking up Bethany? Do you think that saving the little girl will pend in Allie's favor if they find out she's a vampire?
I was surprised by Jeb’s move, but I don’t think Allie rescuing the little girl will help her get more favor. I don’t think Jeb trusts her very much.

38. Is it me, or is Zeke too naive, too idealist to be the second in command? Worse, Allie seems to be doing the same thing. Helping a stranger smelling like food when she's getting hungrier by the minute? This smells like disaster to me.
Yes Zeke is an idealist, but I’m not sure he is naïve. He seems to know pretty much what’s going on, he just chooses to help people rather than to leave them behind. I think he doesn’t want to be the second in command, he only does it because Jeb asks it of him. Allie is pretty much the same, like she kept helping Stick with getting betrayal in return.

39. Thoughts about the Archers? Their little fortress in the middle of nowhere is something.
Yes, but I don’t trust it. I have a feeling there may be something else going on there it seems too good to be true.

40. Are Allie's suspicions right about someone near her bedroom? Do you think the old woman was suspicious about her stillness during sleep?
Maybe.

41. Are you shocked that they locked up Joe in a cage? He's hurt and bleeding. It doesn't fit with the way they welcomed his return. Do you think he'll turn into a rabid?
No, it seems the sensible thing to do. I think he will turn in to a rabid.

42. The barn scene with the kids and the baby goat was so sweet. Will Allison be able to resist the temptation of the sleeping children? I sure hope so or else her humanity will not recover.
Yes it was very sweet. She’ll be able to resist temptation. If she doesn’t I think she’ll go mad.

43. What did you think of the "Your're so cute I could put you in a pie." comment? Creepy or just an old lady's strange way of telling him he's cute? I don't think I've ever heard that one before.

Norelle (onefabknitter) | 13 comments good story so far.I am at page 188.Allie is off on her own .

Mette (therealmette) Argh I'm so behind the schedule. Promiss I'll read up today... Anyways I've got a 12h Bus ride ahead of me so it should be no problem.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 9997 comments @Norelle:
Yes, it is. And it gets better :)

@Mette:
Sometimes it happens. No problem, you can pop here anytime you want.

message 39: by Sonia (last edited Jul 17, 2013 01:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sonia (darktalynn) | 9997 comments For those who are interested a.k.a. for those reading (or have read) this one and liking it so much as I am, which I believe is everybody *grins* we are setting a buddy read for the sequel, The Eternity Cure, on September 6th. Click here for discussion

Mette (therealmette) @Sofia: Awesome. September seems a long time ahead but I guess I can wait!

Mette (therealmette) 36. Since I've read a bit ahead now, I'm not commenting on this.

37. No I didn't think that it would gain her
much favor.

38. I really like Zeke. He has a beautiful mind and I do think he knows what's going on and isn't THAT naive.

39. It's the best lifestyle we've encountered in the book so far but I think at some point, something is going to go wrong.

40. Nah, I think she was just amused by how knocked out Ally seemed.

41. I'd have done the same thing. It was just too dangerous.

42. Yeah it was cute. Again, since I've read on I have no comment.

43. Hahah, that was a funny line. I liked it, it was comical relief.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 9997 comments Mette wrote: "@Sofia: Awesome. September seems a long time ahead but I guess I can wait!"

Yes, it is a long time ahead, however August has a lot of great buddy reads happening so is either September or making people choosing between two books and that isn't a good option to face.

If you want something related to be "occupied" till then, there is a prequel, called Dawn of Eden. The action is set during the red lung virus outbreak, so no Allison, and I believe no Kanin either. But it could be a nice touch to see how everything started.

Mette (therealmette) @Sofia: Ok cool. I think I will read that :D

Sonia (darktalynn) | 9997 comments Mette wrote: "@Sofia: Ok cool. I think I will read that :D"

Btw, my name is Sonia, not Sofia *giggles* I thought to warn you in case you were looking for me without finding me :)

I already have Dawn of Eden waiting for me on my kindle :)

I can set a thread for a "informal buddy read" so we can discuss it if you want.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 9997 comments I stayed up last night reading as a result I left home in a hurry this morning and forgot my nexus abd cell phone *sad face* so the questions will be posted a bit late today (European standards).

Mette (therealmette) Btw, my name is Sonia, not Sofia *giggles* I thought to warn you in case you were looking for me without finding me :)"

So sorry! I'm hosting a podcast with two girls and one of them is called Sofia, so I'm used to writing that name a lot since we often discuss things on facebook.
As for the questions it's cool. I can't wait to write something though since the last part we read is awesome.

Oh, and the informal buddy read would be great too!

Sonia (darktalynn) | 9997 comments No problem. I answer to Sofia, Sonja, Sonya... even to my own name *giggles*

Cool about Dawn of Eden. I'll set up the thread.

Excited to write? Do you want to do today's DQ's? Having different "voices" when discussing books is always good.

Don't feel obligated or anything, but if you want to give it a try, go ahead and have fun :o)

Mette (therealmette) Oh I'd loooove to but the thing is I'm attending a film festival so I really won't be having any time for anything but reading the book and discussing it.
Or well, maybe time, but I'm not in the right mindset to be finding questions myself.
However, I'll happily do it for either Dawn of Eden or the sequel.

Ozana Ozzy (barbozzy) | 1018 comments I red last night 'Till the world ends book which contains Dawn of Eden, prequel to Immortal rules and how virus was created and outbrakes and only known character is Archers family. Final instalment will be out in 2014.I heard that second book is better, Eternity cure.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 9997 comments Mette wrote: "Oh I'd loooove to but the thing is I'm attending a film festival so I really won't be having any time for anything but reading the book and discussing it.
Or well, maybe time, but I'm not in the ri..."

film festival?
*trying not to be jealous and failing*

Cool.

« previous 1