Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

SF/F Book Recommendations > Favorite Lost Worlds

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 07, 2013 08:33AM) (new)

Since our Classic Book Discussion this month is about The Land That Time Forgot, I thought it might be appropriate to collect our favorite stories involving lost worlds. Of course, that would include Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's classic The Lost World, which gives its name to the entire sub-genre.

In space opera, it might also include stories such as Anne McCaffrey's Sassinak Death of Sleep, in which a planetary survey team finds the degenerate remains of a prior attempt at human settlement on a distant world. (Not one of McCaffrey's best stories, though, in my opinion. Though coincidentally it's related to her Dinosaur Planet novel.)

Edit: Fixed title of "Death of Sleep"; was wrong book. Ooops

message 2: by Evgeny (new)

Evgeny You should mention H. Rider Haggard who can be considered as the father of the Lost World genre (most of Alan Quatermain stories deal with different 'lost worlds').

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Evgeny wrote: "You should mention H. Rider Haggard who can be considered as the father of the Lost World genre (most of Alan Quatermain stories deal with different 'lost worlds')."

Nice suggestion. I haven't read any Alan Quartermain, but it's free on the Kindle (and elsewhere, since it's public domain) so I'll put it in the queue.

message 4: by Evgeny (new)

Evgeny The first several stories are out of copyright and can be obtained for free from Project Gutenberg. I suggest reading them in the order of publication: start with King Solomon's Mines and then Allan Quatermain. Both deal with South African places cut off from the rest of the world and both are good.

message 5: by Stefan (last edited Jun 07, 2013 08:47AM) (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 136 comments I know that you mentioned it in your intro post, but I wanted to point out just how good Doyle's The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle actually is. I read it fairly recently and truly enjoyed it. On the same note, Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1) by Michael Crichton and The Lost World (Jurassic Park, #2) by Michael Crichton are fairly entertaining reads as well.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 07, 2013 12:27PM) (new)

Stefan wrote: "On the same note, Michael Crichton's and are fairly entertaining reads as well...."

Jurassic Park is more a "rebuilt world", but good point. Haven't read it, just seen the movie.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 07, 2013 12:27PM) (new)

The stories mentioned above involve some "outsider" discovering a Lost World. There are also plenty of stories (maybe more) involving stories from the point of view of a Lost World. McCaffrey's extensive Dragonriders Of Pern as an example of such a lost colony. (And also a terrific series, in my opinion.)

message 8: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 337 comments Well by that criterion RENDEZVOUS WITH RAMA by Arthur C. Clarke is a lost world too.

message 9: by I.E. (new)

I.E. (ievc) | 8 comments G33z3r wrote: "Stefan wrote: "On the same note, Michael Crichton's and are fairly entertaining reads as well...."

Jurassic Park is more a "rebuilt world", but good point. Haven't read it, just seen the movie."

The movie does not do the book justice. The book, Jurassic Park, was excellent. The movie was.. eh.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

a couple of months ago i got some books, 4 volumes worth, of Richard S. Shaver's 'Shaver Mystery' stuff...yes, its not exactly high-class, even for trash, but the basic idea of lost races living in cave systems and messing about with the surface folk is a fun one, but totaly ruined by Shaver's poor writing, and even more so by his instance it was all true. Most made fun of him, i think the man had mental health issues. But give him his due, the Shaver Mystery boosted Amazing Stories sales to the sky.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

and how about the lost world in The Land of the Lost....the best live-action saturday morning kid's show EVER!!!

message 12: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 412 comments I've been jealously watching this thread from afar because I realized I haven't actually read that much lost world fiction. And then I realized I own copies of The Land That Time Forgot and -- I don't believe anyone's mentioned this one yet -- Lost Horizon. Great. Two to put on my summer list...