The Smart Chicks Book Club discussion

The Salt God's Daughter
This topic is about The Salt God's Daughter
June 2013 - July 2013 > The Salt God's Daughter

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tina Hook | 327 comments Mod
What do you think this story is saying about mother-daughter relationships, and the bond between sisters?

Beverly Diehl (writerbeverly) | 23 comments The bond between sisters, here, was tight. Mom was fun - when she wasn't being crazy - but she was certainly nobody that could be relied upon.

Beverly wrote: "The bond between sisters, here, was tight. Mom was fun - when she wasn't being crazy - but she was certainly nobody that could be relied upon."

Beverly, thank you for taking the time to comment here. Life has taken me away, but I hope to have something smart to add soon.

I finished this book while on the plane, and I have to admit, I've done a very bad job of reading it. There. I said it. Sometimes life gets in the way and I really didn't give this read the full unbiased attention it deserved.

That said, I closed the final page thinking this story was about imperfect relationships--how the girls had an imperfect understanding of their mother, Ruthie's imperfect understanding of Graham (the mystical sea animal-human who may not have been) and later Naida's peers imperfect reaction to her differences--calling her Frog Witch at the opening of the novel.

There was plenty of other stuff going on besides all of this, but the endurance of all of these imperfect family bonds seems to be where the hope and the beauty was.

Jasmine | 36 comments I finished this one and I'm not really sure how I feel about it. It was a decent, magical story but I don't think I was brought in by the characters they way I would have anticipated to be.
I definitely think this is a generational story of mothers and daughters. I liked the line where Graham said that a mother is a daughter's first love. There is truth there.
The sister bond was difficult for me to latch on to...I just didn't feel like it gelled like it was suppose to and therefore I didn't think of it as a major theme of the book.

Jasmine wrote: "I finished this one and I'm not really sure how I feel about it. It was a decent, magical story but I don't think I was brought in by the characters they way I would have anticipated to be.
I de..."

Thank you for adding your thoughts here, Jasmine. The book really is rich in language and atmosphere, rather than being mostly plot-driven or character driven, which makes for a different sort of experience.