Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5) Silver Borne discussion

Ok I'm reading this book and wondering does Mercy...

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christy (last edited Jun 07, 2013 06:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christy Ok I'm reading this book and wondering. Does Mercy age? I know that the werewolves don't grow old, but does Mercy? Or has it ever said? I was just wondering her being Adam's mate and all.. Please help if you can.

message 2: by Gerd (last edited Jun 07, 2013 08:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerd She's not as long lifed (possibly immortal) as a werewolf, but I thought it said that she ages slower than a regular human would.

Edit:
Here's a quote from Patty herself on the topic
Becoming the mate of a werewolf does not give a human mate the ability to resist aging. To compensate (a little) for this, though a werewolf can only have one mate at a time, many wolves (like Samuel) end up with a number of mates over the years. And yes -- the apparent age difference poses a lot of problems for wolves trying to pass for humans. Think little old lady whose grandson lives in and helps out . . . Or rich old lady and her pretty gigolo .

Now, that being said, I'm still playing with scenarios for Mercy and her mate. Remember, although it feels like a tragedy for Mercy, we all get old. Is that a tragedy? I don't think so. So if all Mercy has is the normal allotment of years for humans, it's not a terrible thing. After all, a coyote who plays with vampires and things that go bump in the night isn't exactly working hard at longevity anyway.

Although, that was in 2007.
See here:
http://www.hurog.com/forum/index.php?...

Christy Oh OK. I didn't know. I didn;t know if I read it and passed it by or I haven't read it yet. i'm still reading the series. Thanks!

Jjab I think she may live a long while.(hopefuly not a spoiler an vague enuff to keep it from being one) Knowing who her father is may actualy add to her longevity.

With in these fantasy, scifi, paranormal realms, the writers are open to do pretty much what ever they want with a characters. So it is possible to have Mercy live to be a thousands years old or more.

Christy Yeah that is true. I just finished reading River marked and found out who her dad was. I'm reading Frost Burned now. I hope that she lives a long time with Adam. Maybe something will happen to Jessie and she can become a werewolf also so she wont die.

Moonlight As stated in one of the books, the average lifespan of a newly turned werewolf is only 10 years. Many fail the change or they die in dominance fights shortly after. As stated in the books, women are far less likely to survive the change than men. In Adam's pack of 35 or so wolves, there are only 3 women. Mercy's own foster mother failed the change. Becoming a werewolf is no guarentee of a long life. Jesse also would be unable to have children. I suspect that most fathers would rather their daughters not attempt the change.

Christy yeah I remember now that you said that . I don't want anything to happen to Jesse. but she will die of old age while Adam is still young. but yeah....

Does anyone know how many books are gonna be in the series?

message 8: by Gerd (last edited Jun 10, 2013 07:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerd Patty had a post up at one point how many books had been contracted -
I think it was nine books in the Mercy series and four in A&O, but can't say for sure.

It's open if there will be any beyond what has already been contracted.

Christy Oh ok cool. thanks!

Lillie Bail its odd what if she dies and adam doesn't i would die

Stephanie Bolen This question could get answered pretty soon, because it has to weighing on Mercy's mind. How long do Coyote shifters live, but then again she may think she's going to die young. I know it's going to weigh on Adams mind, as the years progress with Mercy and Jessie, and Sam has already put in his two cents. That's why he's with a fae now.

Denoramae It is not the quantity but the quality of life that most of us should always concentrate on as we go forward. Mercy and Adam have a special relationship and I think Adam would rather have 20 years with Mercy than 100 years without her. That said, Mercy has a lot of odd things going for her and strange and mystical friends and relatives. Will she live longer? There is a possibility that is greater for her than others, but her father died younger than he should have and he had some truly odd abilities...

Grace Gerd wrote: "She's not as long lifed (possibly immortal) as a werewolf, but I thought it said that she ages slower than a regular human would.

Edit:
Here's a quote from Patty herself on the topic
Becoming the..."

After finding out she is Coyote's daughter i figures maybe those kind of rules (aging) might not apply to her.

Lisa Mccarty Christy wrote: "Yeah that is true. I just finished reading River marked and found out who her dad was. I'm reading Frost Burned now. I hope that she lives a long time with Adam. Maybe something will happen to Jess..."

I am in the process of reading River Marked and I too hope so as well! I just love their relationship (makes me mad at the hubby when I am reading it hehe) He always knows when it is reading time cause I am like aww why can't you do that... Well maybe because I'm not a warewolf haha.

message 15: by LeeAnne (new) - added it

LeeAnne just got done with the book. it was amazing!!!

Alichia Campbell-brant it looks like this question will be somewhat answered in the latest book that just came out.

Carrie I love this series and grab each new book as it comes out.Am counting the days till the next book comes out.

message 18: by sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

sam Im not sure. Yeah other werewolves who take human mates have to watch them grow old and die, but Mercy's not quite human and were still finding out about what it means for her to be a coyote... But Mercy is also the closest thing to human that became pack, so maybe pack magic will effect her?

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ sam wrote: "Im not sure. Yeah other werewolves who take human mates have to watch them grow old and die, but Mercy's not quite human and were still finding out about what it means for her to be a coyote... But..."

I agree. Mercy is a bit of an exception to the rule. Little clues to her skinwalker abilities are coming out slowly over the books. After reading River Marked, I'm curious about (don't read if you're not done with that book) (view spoiler)

Michielle This question is mostly answered in Night Broken But it basically comes down to the whims of Coyote.

message 21: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Ben has grown on me. At first he was a creep but throughout the series you get glimpses of him that make him more human and you just can't help but start liking the guy but then again that is just my opinion.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ Karla wrote: "Ben has grown on me. At first he was a creep but throughout the series you get glimpses of him that make him more human and you just can't help but start liking the guy but then again that is just ..."

I've grown to like him, too. You should check out Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson. Ms. Brigg's gives him his own story and we learn a lot more about him. : )

Charlene Christy wrote: "Ok I'm reading this book and wondering. Does Mercy age? I know that the werewolves don't grow old, but does Mercy? Or has it ever said? I was just wondering her being Adam's mate and all.. Please h..."

I have read this series and do not have the answer you seek. Now that I am thinking about it I'll have to reread it.

Elizabeth Christy wrote: "Ok I'm reading this book and wondering. Does Mercy age? I know that the werewolves don't grow old, but does Mercy? Or has it ever said? I was just wondering her being Adam's mate and all.. Please h..."

Christy wrote: "Ok I'm reading this book and wondering. Does Mercy age? I know that the werewolves don't grow old, but does Mercy? Or has it ever said? I was just wondering her being Adam's mate and all.. Please h..."

I think Mercy is in her 30's,and she ages very slowly from what I remember from the series.

Charlene The previous statement about her aging slowly is true.