Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

The Black Company (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #1)
This topic is about The Black Company
Chronicles of the Black Company > The Black Company; Chapters 4-7; 8-15 June 13

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shelley (Shelley69) | 597 comments We're into the heart of the book now and tBC's moral is taking a hit under Soulcather's employ!

Shelley (Shelley69) | 597 comments We start off chapter 4 leaving the Salient after another defeat, headed towards Lords thru the Forest of Cloud when tBC finds a Rebel training camp. They find some pretty important papers belonging to Whisper, the Rebel's top General. These papers are Rebel's plans for the battle at Lords, tBC has struck gold!

Once they find the secret stash of Bomanz's papers, things really start to happen. First we get our first real look at the Lady in the Tower, poor Goblin saw The Eye! Then Soulcatcher shows up and sees the papers! Wow was he/she happy!

Shelley (Shelley69) | 597 comments So Lords is hit by Nightcrawler and the Company takes up housing for the winter there. This is when things get interesting for Croaker and Raven as they go on the secret mission with Soulcatcher. What did everyone think of this mission?

message 4: by Shelley (last edited Jun 11, 2013 08:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shelley (Shelley69) | 597 comments So the Lady can make more "Taken" if she wants....who knew!! Poor Croaker had to endure this whole mission; seen the Eye, seen a Taken killed, a Taken made and endure a carpet ride!! :P

Shelley (Shelley69) | 597 comments Chapter 5, "Harden" is a great chapter IMO. The running battle across the Plains during the storm (from Stormbringer), finally making it to the Tear of Stair and then the following battle just makes for a great chapter! You feel how tired they all are!

message 6: by Jon (last edited Jun 12, 2013 05:51AM) (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Shelley wrote: "Chapter 5, "Harden" is a great chapter IMO. The running battle across the Plains during the storm (from Stormbringer), finally making it to the Tear of Stair and then the following battle just mak..."

I think you meant Stair of Tear ... although I kept saying 'Stone of Tear' in my head but I'm still exuding Wotness.

Shelley (Shelley69) | 597 comments LOL....yeah that's what I meant!! :) Thanks Jon!

message 8: by Eric (new)

Eric Zawadzki | 46 comments The Darling/White Rose connection was pretty obvious as soon as they started talking about that prophecy. Having her suffer at the hands of the Lady's soldiers (under the Limper) and witness the terrible slaughter at the tower seemed a pretty clear set-up for an avenging Messiah figure. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that it was really transparent.

The action sequences are interesting (the storm battle was quite awesome), and the plot twists don't seem random, but I think this book shines brightest when Cook is exploring the relationships between the soldiers of the Black Company. The conversations and other interactions just hum along, and I find it interesting that he can have characters talk over a game of cards about what they've been up to instead of showing the action, and it isn't boring.