Thriller Chat with Chris Allen discussion

General > What makes a good thriller?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Larry (new)

Larry Levitan | 1 comments Hey, nice to be here.
I am a big fan of the great masters - Ludlum and Clancy - they have shaped my direction in what i call a great thriller - for me it's a balance between a good story line, action and education - a good thriller must reveal enough details based on great research to come across as believable. When readers can envision the pages they read than you caught their imagination and a bond with the story is formed.

However, to seal the pact an emotional reaction is necessary. Get your readers emotionally involved - any strong emotional reaction counts - and they become hooked.

I hope I managed to follow this formula.

message 2: by Steve (new)

Steve Smy (steveksmy) | 37 comments An excellent definition, Larry :) I never used to be a thriller reader, and if it had been left up to some writers, I never would have become one! Happily, a couple of things changed that. My son loaned me a copy of a James Rollins novel on strict instructions to read it, and I was asked to review Hunter (written by Chris, of course). I'm so thankful for both those acts! I've had the misfortune to trip over one or two others (Andy McNabb being one), but I'm hooked now.

As somebody once said to me (describing a book I'd let them borrow) "It was unputdownable!" :D

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 46 comments Mod
Steve wrote: "An excellent definition, Larry :) I never used to be a thriller reader, and if it had been left up to some writers, I never would have become one! Happily, a couple of things changed that. My so..."

Hi Steve,

So pleased you started enjoying this new genre thanks to you-know-who. I am about to start a Lee Childs book but not sure which one. Have you read any of his?

Chris has just posted about what makes a cracking thriller on That Book You Like and talks about a plot that keeps you guessing, action that compels you to keep reading and characters you care about. If you are interested here's the link: http://buff.ly/13Bb6eR

Best, Sar

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 46 comments Mod
Larry wrote: "Hey, nice to be here.
I am a big fan of the great masters - Ludlum and Clancy - they have shaped my direction in what i call a great thriller - for me it's a balance between a good story line, acti..."

That is a good way of expressing it Larry and I agree with you!

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve Smy (steveksmy) | 37 comments Sarah wrote: "Steve wrote: "An excellent definition, Larry :) I never used to be a thriller reader, and if it had been left up to some writers, I never would have become one! Happily, a couple of things change..."

Thanks, Sarah :) I'm afraid I can't help Lee Childs - I don't even know the name :)

I read Chris' post there. Very useful and excellent advice ;)

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimsnowden) | 11 comments What's always worked for me is the combination of a protagonist with a flaw struggling against an antagonist with a point.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 46 comments Mod
Jim wrote: "What's always worked for me is the combination of a protagonist with a flaw struggling against an antagonist with a point."

I love it!

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliegreenart) | 15 comments Mod
Jim wrote: "What's always worked for me is the combination of a protagonist with a flaw struggling against an antagonist with a point."

Mmm me too! Great point Jim!!

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimsnowden) | 11 comments Thanks, Julie and Sara.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Allen (intrepidallen) | 30 comments Mod
Spot on Jim! Would only add 'expectation coupled with anxiety' adds to your equation for me - you know what you want from a thriller, but you also bed that feeling in your gut as you're reading!