Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVES > The best MG book I read in MAY 2013 was . . .

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M.G. (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 728 comments Let us know what you've been reading lately!

message 2: by S.W. (new)

S.W. (swlothian) | 844 comments Mod
Thanks for setting this one up M.G. (I totally forgot this month) ... blush

message 3: by M.G. (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 728 comments Ha ha, guess you've been a little busy, eh?

message 4: by Jill (new)

Jill Lawrence | 9 comments Timmy Failure, The Odd Squad and My Sister is So Bossy She Says You Can't Read This Book. All excellent.

message 5: by S.W. (new)

S.W. (swlothian) | 844 comments Mod
Timmy Failure Mistakes Were Made by Stephan Pastis Odd Squad,The Bully Bait by Michael Fry My Big Sister Is So Bossy She Says You Can't Read This Book by Mary Hershey

Jill, I added some covers for the books you mentioned (I'm not sure if I have added right Odd Squad one though)

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill Lawrence | 9 comments Those are the ones. Seriously some of the best MG I've ever read. Timmy Failure made me laugh so hard my family got annoyed at me.

message 7: by Jacci (new)

Jacci (jaccit) | 59 comments Igrain the Brave , loved the strong female Character and loving family.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/61...

message 8: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia Dinsmore (cordeliadinsmore) | 105 comments I thoroughly enjoyed A Greyhound of a Girl. It's a ghost story, but not typical in any manner. I loved the language and the fact that they called the grandmother's Mammy. That's what I called my own grandmother, and I've rarely heard it from anyone else.

message 9: by D. Robert (new)

D. Robert Pease (drobertpease) I've been re-reading the first two Leviathan books, by Scott Westerfeld, so I can finally read the third and final book in the trilogy. They're a great read for any middle graders in your life, boys and girls both.

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I was impressed by Jungle Dogs and recommend it for any classroom, ages 10-14. Adventure, themes about family & courage etc., and lots of rural Hawaiian culture. http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth Bad Unicorn by Platte F. Clark Platte F. Clark this book was awesome! I mean, she is truly a bad, bad unicorn! I sat outside and laughed out loud at this one...my neighbors probably thought I was nuts. I cannot wait until his next book.

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth D. wrote: "I've been re-reading the first two Leviathan books, by Scott Westerfeld, so I can finally read the third and final book in the trilogy. They're a great read for any middle graders in your life, boy..."

My teens just read the first book for book discussion and all of us girls did not care for it, but one boy is totally in love with these books. We just felt like they were too long in the descriptions. We just wanted to know what the eggs were and now that he's told us, we're satisfied. I really wanted to like it. :(

message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth Jill wrote: "Those are the ones. Seriously some of the best MG I've ever read. Timmy Failure made me laugh so hard my family got annoyed at me."

Timmy Failure is a good one...especially for those reluctant readers.

message 14: by Heidi (last edited Jun 18, 2013 09:10PM) (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 28 comments The Hampton Summit
The Hampton Summit by Mike Dunbar My boys and I are eagerly awaiting the sequel in July!!!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Tuesdays at the Castle! So cute and fun, this book has it all: magic, adventure, and humor! Tuesdays at the Castle (Castle Glower #1) by Jessica Day George

message 16: by Rebecca (last edited Jun 18, 2013 09:00PM) (new)

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1667 comments Mod
People, if you can type out the title as well as put the cover thumbnail, it would be great. I usually can't read the thumbnails, and clicking through to each one is a pain (okay, guess I'm lazy!).

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 28 comments Rebecca, sorry about that. I didn't really think about how difficult it is to read the titles! Fixed ;)

message 19: by Rebecca (new)

Thanks, Heidi! I do better on the big screen, but on my iPad. . . naw, can't make out a one. Of course, I'm old and my eyes don't work so well any more :p

message 20: by Beth (new)

Beth Evelyn wrote: "Tuesdays at the Castle! So cute and fun, this book has it all: magic, adventure, and humor! Tuesdays at the Castle (Castle Glower #1) by Jessica Day George"

I loved that book!

message 21: by M.G. (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 728 comments Rebecca wrote: "Inside Out & Back Again
Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai"

I read this last year. It was the first novel I'd read written in verse. I've heard that novels in verse are good for reluctant readers because the lines are short -- but like good poetry the language had a lot of good imagery.

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

M.G. wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Inside Out & Back Again
Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai"

I read this last year. It was the first novel I'd read written in verse. I've heard that novels in verse are go..."

Yes. I have mixed feelings about novels in verse, but I have also enjoyed Karen Hesse.

Oh, and I just posted my review of Inside Out on my blog--
http://www.ninjalibrarian.com/2013/06...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.