What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Children's Scary Story Narrated on PBS, Wherein a Demon Errupts from an Inkwell

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grant (new)

Grant Deaton | 1 comments Okay, so years and years and years ago, there was a program on PBS where they narrated children's stories over images from the picture books they were read from. This wasn't Reading Rainbow, I remember that much, or at least I think I do.

There was one particular story about a man who hears a voice from a small, common object. I think it was an inkwell. And the voice, as narrated, is really tiny and weak, and pleads to be let out, over and over again. Finally, the man caves, and opens the inkwell, or whatever the object was, and out comes this large, dark monster, I think it was a demon. And it poured out of the inkwell with black, billowing smoke... I don't remember much else. I was really young, and the Imagery stuck with me more than the story itself, but dammit, this story has STUCK with me. I have to know what it is. It is driving me crazy. I have found a possible connection to it, but so far it's been a fruitless dead end. There was a show called Storytime. And if I remember correctly, on this particular episode that the story appeared, the Puppet tasted some of the host's lunch or something like that... I dunno. This is all I remember. PLEASE HELP ME, I've been going crazy over this episode, this story, for YEARS!

message 2: by Katharine (new)

Katharine | 9 comments You could try Loganberrybooks.com. They have TONS of postings of "solved" book conundrums and a searchable database as well as the ability to request help. Sorry I couldn't help more.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Funny. I just read one a lot like this as a story in an adult's anthology. I could try to dig that one out, if you like?

But as a children's story, I've no clue.

message 4: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4731 comments Bumping because the book sounds interesting.

Here's a few questions that may jog your memory:

It seems the books were narrated by a celebrity on Kino's Storytime. Do you remember who the celeb was? Or, if they were male or female?

And, do you remember what year you saw this episode?

How did the illustrations look? Were they colorful, black and white, cartoony, detailed, watercolor, etc?

The wiki page doesn't have all the episodes listed (I tried that route).

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36973 comments Mod
Grant, are you still looking for this children's scary story?

message 6: by Lou (new)

Lou Rocama | 428 comments I remember a picture book very like this, based on a Chinese fable (I think). I'll try to find it . . .

message 7: by Mir (new)

Mir | 702 comments There are some big differences, but it sounds a bit like Do Not Open. The main character there is an old lady, though, I think, and the container is something she finds on the beach.

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) abandoned

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Do Not Open (other topics)