You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Camp AmLy reporting thread

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AmyK (last edited Jun 07, 2013 01:00AM) (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1030 comments *******WELCOME CAMPERS!!!!!*********

Report what you’ve read here. Each camper should set up one post to use for all their reporting. When you finish a book, you’ll edit your post to report the book and the task (this makes the counselors jobs easier)

Feel free to start a separate thread letting us know when you've finished a book....what you thought...or....well whatever.

Let's make this a great week here at camp AmLy!!!

this thread will be open for posts at 12pm est on June 8

message 2: by Lynn (last edited Jun 16, 2013 06:56PM) (new)

Lynn | 2552 comments When you have accomplished a task, start a reporting comment on this thread.

Use only this thread for reporting and edit that first comment each time a new book has been read. Please try to remember to include the following information for each book:
1) Title (with link)
2) Pages
3) What challenge if fits

Once you have set up your reporting comment, I will link that comment to the names below so you can find it each time:

Amy
Lynn
Debra
Sharon
MarieC
Lori
Marnie
Beverley
Anna M
Connie
Thing Two
Helen2
Naomi
Joes

Total: 1124

----------
Arts and Crafts Book - 10 points
Do an art project or make a craft from it (picture must be posted) - 10 points

Talent Show Read about a singer, dancer, or musician - 10 points
Post a short video of yourself singing, dancing, or playing an instrument - 15 points

Movie Night Read a book that was made into a movie - 10 points
Pick a scene and tell how it will be/has been ruined in the movie, in decent detail - 10 points

The Big Dance Read a book about young love - 10 points

Campfire Stories Read a scary book - 10 points

Camp Nicknames Read a book written under a pen name OR Read a book where the character is using an alias, or going by a nickname - 10 points

Read a fantasy - 10 points

Diary Read a book that’s in a diary, letter, journal, or similar format - 10 points

Read a book that has siblings fighting - 10 points

Read a book about a long journey - 10 points

Read a book set in a place you’ve never been - 10 points

Read a book located in the opposite setting to your camp / vacation - 10 points

Read a YA book OR history or historical fiction - 10 points

Round Robin 3 team mates will read the same book and discuss it - 10 points each

Extra points for those extra pages:
225 – 325 pages – 1 extra point
326 – 425 pages – 2 extra points
426 or more – 4 extra points

message 3: by Lynn (last edited Jun 30, 2013 05:00PM) (new)

Lynn | 2552 comments Lynn's reads:

Easy
310 pages - 1 point
YA Task - 10 points
Total - 11 points

The Great Gatsby
Movie Task - 10 points

To me, the film stayed pretty true to the book so I don't think the film detracted from the book at all. I actually think the film improved the stories experience because it was visually stunning and really brought the story to life.

'We walked through a high hallway into a bright rosy-colored space, fragileley bound into the house by French windows at either end. The windows were ajar and gleaming white against the fresh grass outside that seemed to grow a little way into the house. A breeze blew through the room, blew curtains in at one end and out the other like pale flags, twisting them up toward the frosted wedding cake of the ceiling - and then rippled over the wine colored rug, making a shadow on it as wind does on the sea.'

This is a perfect example, such a small paragraph in the book was turned into fabulous visual experience that made me smile in a slightly 'childlike wonder'. Dozens of beautiful, long, see-through-white curtains billowing in the wind, showing snippets of the room as if entering some dream like paradise. When the doors are closed, the curtains gently drift to the floor to reveal Daisy and Jordan. It’s a stunning scene. - 10 points

Total - 20pts

Face the Music
266 pages: 1 point
Talent Show Task: 10 points
Post a short video of yourself singing, dancing, or playing an instrument - 15 points

I am front row, end singer on the right
http://vimeo.com/54301568
http://vimeo.com/54361000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ_MU...
(It's hard to see me on the last link because of the lighting but at 1:20 I come to the front for a group-solo)

Ok so seen as Jmom is a big meanie, here's a link to a video I did today (Edit - which has now been removed)

Total - 26 points

Pandemonium
375 pages: 2 points
YA task: 10 points
Total: 12 points

Requiem
391 pages: 2 points
Total: 12 points

Forbidden
432 pages - 4 points
Total: 14 points

Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog
343 pages - 2 points
Movie task: 10 points

This is a re-read for me but as soon as I saw this task my first thought was for this book / movie combo. I love this book and dreaded the movie coming out because I knew it wouldn't even come close. My dread was increased when I realised who had got the two leads, Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston. Not that I've got anything against either of them in particular but it was obvious to me from those choices that the emphasis would be on the comedy aspect of the book rather than the true hero of the story, the emotion and love between Marley and the family.

Of course there was emotion in the film but it just didn't touch my heart like the book did. One of the stand out scenes in the book for me is when Jenny comes back from the hospital (view spoiler). When reading this bit, I remember doing a small gasp, my heart melting and thinking for the first time 'Ah, this dog isn't just crazy.' The film just didn't manage to capture that special moment in my eyes.

Total: 22 points

The Diary of a Young Girl
283 pages - 1 point
Diary task: 10 points
Total: 11 points

I, Zombie
Campfire task - 10 points

message 4: by Anna (last edited Jun 14, 2013 02:26PM) (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 976 comments Anna M

Halo Halo (Halo, #1) by Alexandra Adornetto
484 pages: 4
YA task: 10
Total: 14

Hades Hades (Halo, #2) by Alexandra Adornetto
424 pages: 2
YA task: 10
Total: 12

Nor Iron Bars a Cage Nor Iron Bars a Cage by Kaje Harper
244 pages: 1
Fantasy: 10
Total: 11

Ripple Ripple by Mandy Hubbard
260 pages: 1
YA Task: 10

Strangers Strangers by Taichi Yamada
206 pages: 0
Campfire Stories: 10
Total: 10

The Selection The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass
327 pages: 2

1001 Cranes 1001 Cranes by Naomi Hirahara
240 pages: 1
Arts and Crafts Book: 10 points
[image error]Total: 21

Shatter Me Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi
338 pages: 2

Karlology: What I've Learnt So Far Karlology What I've Learnt So Far by Karl Pilkington
218 pages: 0
Diary: 10
Total: 10

Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror by Chris Priestley
240 pages: 1
Campfire Stories: 10

message 5: by Marnie (last edited Jun 13, 2013 02:59PM) (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 1986 comments Marnie
The Housekeeper and the Professor
180 pages
Place I've never been -Japan
10 points

The Hobbit- 10 points
351- pages+2
Movie night
Wait a minute The Hobbit is a trilogy!!! How can a 350 page book take three movies to tell the tale- talk about a Bait and Switch! That is how the movie is worse than the book!

While Tolkien' s book was a charming read filled with splendid adventure that I literally could not put down the movie is way more violent. Showing Thorin's father getting beheaded at the beginning of the movie did not add to the story.
Obviously if you are making a short book into three movies you will need to add things that were not in the book.

The book opens with an impromptu tea party where Bilbo Baggins' frustration of the uninvited dwarves made me giggle. In the movie the dwarves arrive for supper and Baggins' frustration is not nearly as charming.

Radagast is mentioned by name once in the book as one of the wizzards of Middle Earth. In the movie he has a whole scene where he is portrayed as a wacko animal loving wizzard.

My favorite part of the book was the slow unfolding of Bilbo Bagins' heroism but in the movie they definately downplayed that. 
I could go on but I will end this by saying I gave the book 5+ stars and the movie 3 stars... Less is sometimes better.
22 points

The Nobodies Album
320 pages
Campfire story
11 points

Buttercream Bump Off
240 pages
Arts & Crafts
 photo 02f6fed7-8d07-4e74-ae27-5bded1c260eb_zps2bd45534.jpg

Carrot Cake with extra Buttercream Frosting.
21 points

The Great Gatsby
180 pages
Movie night

I listened to the book instead of reading it. I have read the reviews that this is " the great American novel" and I was excited to finally listen to it. I enjoyed the story. Set in the 1920s when prohibition was in place, this book showed all the excess of the time. Lavish parties, fancy cars, and lots of extramarital canoodling. Throw in a little mystery mixed with romance and the scene is set.

I thought the movie followed the book pretty closely. There were some differences but nothing that ruined it for me.
I thought the movie enhanced the book. When I was reading about  the opulence of the time I pictured expensive- big  houses, fancy clothes, fantastic parties- but the movie showed it even more lavish than I had pictured. The costumes were exquisite! The party scenes at Gatsby's house were way more circus like than I had imagined.

The scene I was  looking forward to seeing  the most was at The Plaza Hotel.  When Gatsby tries to convince Daisy to leave Tom ,Fitzgerald wrote it so that the angst was palpable, the movie portrayed that scene just as I had imagined it in my head. I think the movie is a nice companion piece to the book.
20 points
Sweet Revenge
317 pages +1
Arts & Crafts
 photo 8080117C-7B16-4C40-B957-BEBA80F275AF-2056-000000E4A5C02848_zpsf1f0144e.jpg
Chocolate Chunk Cookies
21 points

Murder on the Rocks
281 pages
Campfire story
11 points

message 6: by Sharon75uk (last edited Jun 09, 2013 04:48PM) (new)

Sharon75uk | 125 comments Sharon's Reads

Coastal setting - The Accidental Husband – Jane Green

392 pages

12 points

message 7: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jun 15, 2013 07:26AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Connie

XVI
325 pages: 1 point
YA Book: 10 points
11 points

The Joy Luck Club
332 pages: 2 points
A Book Set in a Place You Have Never Visited: China (also a book about a long journey): 10 points
12 points

The Year of Magical Thinking
227 pages: 1 extra point
Long Journey: Sometimes a journey is spiritual and emotional, not physical. This book is about Joan Didion's long journey after her husband dies and leaves her to care for their very ill daughter. I love Didion's way of expressing the vulnerability each of us feels when confronted with an awful situation like the one she survived with such grace.
11 points

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail
397 pages: 2 points
Long journey: 10 points
12 points

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald
375 pages
HIstorical fiction
12 points

Until Thy Wrath Be Past
Campfire Stories
256 pages
11 points

Mary Poppins
Fantasy
224 pages
10 points

In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex
Long Journey
302 pages
11 points

Gone with the Wind
Movie Night
1037 pages: 4 points
24 points

(view spoiler)

Moll Flanders
Camp Nicknames: character (Moll Flanders) uses an alias
339 pages
12 points

Winter's Tales
Camp Nicknames: Isak Dinesen is the pseudonym of Karen Blixen
313 pages
11 points

The Lady and the Monk: Four Seasons in Kyoto
Set in a place you have never been: Japan
338 pages
12 points

But Mama Always Put Vodka in Her Sangria!: Adventures in Eating, Drinking, and Making Merry
Arts and Crafts
272 pages
21 points
(view spoiler)
Click spoiler for photo.

The Pat Conroy Cookbook: Recipes of My Life
Arts and Crafts
304 pages
21 points
Dunbar Macaroni(view spoiler)
Click spoiler to view photo.

The Big Dance
The Great Gatsby
180 pages
10 points

message 8: by Helen (last edited Jun 15, 2013 05:34AM) (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 181 comments Helen2 book reporting:
Total: 88 points

Book 1: Deadly Little Lessons
336 pages = 2 pts
YA novel = 10 pts
12 pts

Book 2: Calico Joe
198 pages
Long journey = 10 pts
10 pts

Book 3: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
236 pages = 1 pt
Big Dance - First Love 10 pts
11 pts

Book 4: On the Island
347 pages = 2 pts
Place never been - tropical island in South Pacific (Maldives) - 10 pts
12 points

Book 5: The Fault in Our Stars
318 pages = 1 pt
YA novel - 10
11 points

Book 6: The Queen of the Big Time
304 pages = 1
Historical fiction = 10
11 points

Book 7: Just Plain Weird
318 pages = 1
YA book = 10
11 points

Book 8: The Five People You Meet in Heaven
196 pages
Movie = 10
10 points

message 9: by AmyK (last edited Jun 15, 2013 01:09AM) (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1030 comments What I read at camp:

Insurgent
525 pages = 4 pts
YA = 10 pts
14 points

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
493 pages = 4 pts
Movie Night = 20 pts
I loved this book so much that I wanted to read it again almost as soon as I put it down. The book covered the time before Francie was born until she was 16 years old, whereas the movie only covers about 9 months of the time. There were several scenes that were thrown in those few months that happened on a totally different timeline than the book.
The were a lot of things done differently, name changes, different people dying, how people met.
In the book Francie goes to the library and checks out a book and asks the librarian to recommend a book for her. The librarian never looks at her, or really notices that she is there other than grabbing a book from under the counter (one of two that she has already read)
In the movie, that scene happens so differently as the librarian is friendly and has a conversation with her about what she is checking out and then offers her the recommendation.
24 points

toppler total 38 pts

message 10: by Marie Claude (last edited Jun 14, 2013 04:26AM) (new)

Marie Claude (mariecg2001) | 954 comments MarieC's Toppler Reads

Total: 79 points

The Crossroads; 325 pages; Theme Park (YA novel) = 11 points
Curse of the Spellmans; 409 pages; Sibling fighting = 12 points
The Christie Curse; 304 pages; Camp nicknames = 11 points
Murder on the Mind; 251 pages; Camp nicknames = 11 points
Catching Fire; 391 pages; Movie = 22 points
This book is currently being adapted, the movie being announced for November. I am pretty sure they will not make the spectators feel how much life has changed for Katniss when she comes back from the Victory Tour and that the regime changes in District 12; she has nothing to do each day since Gale is the mine, she can no longer hunt in the woods and everybody has to be careful not to get the attention of the Peacekeepers.
Mockingjay; 390 pages; YA novel = 12 points

message 11: by Debra (last edited Jun 15, 2013 05:28AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Debra's Camp Fun Reads

Tortured Spirits
Campfire story
480 pages
14 points

Breakfast with Buddha
Road Trip
323 pages
11 points

The Great Gatsby
Movie Night
180 pages

JMom says I can make something up about what might have been in The Great Gatsby movie for extra points. So, I think that Daisy would have told her husband she was driving the car that killed her husband's lover. Daisy wouldn't have known it was her husband's lover, of course. But, I think she would have been too distraught not to tell him and that he covered for her. In the book, it SEEMS that he doesn't know.

21 points

Vampires in the Lemon Grove: Stories
243 pages
Fireflies (fantasy)
11 points

Mr. Shivers
327 pages
Campfire stories
12 points

The Troupe
512 pages
Fireflies (fantasy)
14 points

Total 83 points

message 12: by Naomi (last edited Jun 15, 2013 08:23AM) (new)

Naomi (nchigh) | 537 comments Naomi Stays in her Bunk and Reads:

For Historical Fiction 10 pts + 4 points for 512 pages: The Beggar King The Beggar King (The Hangman's Daughter, #3) by Oliver Pötzsch total= 14 pts

Movie night 10 pts + 10 pts for scene description + 1 point for 289 pages = 21 points The Silver Linings Playbook The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
This book differs a bit from the movie. It is told in 1st person from the point of view of Pat the main character. I liked the book and I liked the movie. I think a scene in the movie I like better was the actual dance competition. In the book they were just dancing for recognition, not a trophy or place and were mainly dancing with teenage girls. The movie was a real competition for a trophy and place. The father in the book has some mental issues himself and doesn't deal with his family well at all. In the movie, the father was a little more involved yet still gruff. I think the movie didn't need the scene where the cops kept showing up to keep Pat "in-line". I also like the scene in the book where he meets his therapist at the Eagles game better than in the movie. In the movie, there is a big racist fight. In the book, the Indians and the fat guys become friends because Pat tells his fat guy buddies to leave the Indians alone.

Arts and Crafts : Red Velvet Cupcake Murder Red Velvet Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen #16) by Joanne Fluke 10 pts + 323 pages 1pt + baked blueberry muffins 10 pts total = 21 points

message 13: by Lori (last edited Jun 15, 2013 08:54AM) (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 425 comments Lori's Campfire Reads and Hiking Day Audios

Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller
Read a book set in place you've never been; 256 pages = 11 pts

Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks
Movie Night-Book to Movie 10pts
340 pages 2 pts
Comments on movie changes 10 pts
TOTAL 22 pts

(view spoiler)

The end was slightly changed and I actually liked the ending in the movie better than the book.

The Devil and Miss Prym by Paulo Coelho
Read a book set in a place you have never been--Viscos, France 10 pts

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Book to Movie 10 pts
Comments on movie 10 pts
Total 20pts

This was a re-read for me and I have the same feeling about the book as the first time I read it. It just "okay". I really don't find much to like about an entire cast of characters who are self-absorbed, self-deceived and self-justified. At best its a warning of what not to do. The dangers of the glamorous lifestyle if one does not have the maturity to handle it.

For me, the movie made the book a better book in the same manner as some books being more enjoyable in an audio version. The visual grander of it all made it more interesting.

message 14: by Thing Two (last edited Jun 15, 2013 09:19AM) (new)

Thing Two (thingtwo) Hello Meanie #1! Hello Meanie #2!
Here I am at Camp Amly.
The books here are very entertaining.
If I'm lucky it will never stop this raining.

1. A Slanting Light by Gerda Charles A Slanting Light written by Gerda Charles (real name Edna Lipson)
337 pages
Camp Nicknames
12 points

2. Bring Up the Bodies (Thomas Cromwell, #2) by Hilary Mantel Bring Up the Bodies written by Hilary Mantel
432 pages
Siblings Fighting
14 points

3. Vox by Nicholson Baker Vox written by Nicholson Baker
176 pages
Diary
10 points

4. Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende Island Beneath the Sea written by Isabel Allende
480 pages
Long Journey
14 points

5. Morte D'Urban by J.F. Powers Morte D'Urban written by J.F. Powers
360 pages
Opposite Camp
12 points

6. The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective by Kate Summerscale The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective written by Kate Summerscale
400 pages
Campfire stories
12 points

Total camp points: 74

message 15: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments I like your Crane Anna :-).

Marnie your cake looks delicious! One of my favourites, carrot cake and the frosting looks so sinful!

message 16: by Almeta (last edited Jun 12, 2013 04:49AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 9953 comments Cathie wrote: "I like your Crane Anna :-).

Very clever, Anna. Are you going to make 1001?

message 17: by Beverly (last edited Jun 12, 2013 12:39PM) (new)

Beverly | 194 comments 1. NOS4A2
2. 692
3. scary
4. 14 pts.

message 18: by Joe (new)

Joe | 92 comments Well I finished Seraphina by Rachel Hartman (Sorry i cant add html on my iphone) on the plane to Boston (my wife and i are on a mini-vacation) for the fantasy challenge. If you like fantasy books and YA novels, you'll love this book. Very creative characters and lots of references to music - real and made up - made this a great book. I will be putting it on the classroom bookshelf when I get back to school in August!

If I remember correctly, that's 10 points for fantasy and 4 points for it being 400+ pages for a total of 14 points?

Unfortunately, that may be my only contribution since I'm now on vacation with my wife. I think reading the whole time may be frowned upon!

message 19: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2552 comments No I don't think reading while on your vacation is a good idea! :) We all read as much as we can, thanks for your contribution :)

message 20: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments 1. Along Came a Spider
2. 435
3. Movie night

The book is much more developed than the movie. The movie follows the movie only in the basic story line (the kidnapping), while the book goes into the mind of the kidnapper and his relationship with Alex Cross. There is no romantic interest between Alex and the secret service woman and nothing about his dead wife.
The book is so much more interesting than the movie. The movie was predictable while the book had more plot lines and twists.

message 21: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments Connie, that macaroni and cheese looks delicious and you made enough for all of us! Now, where'd I put my fork...

message 22: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1030 comments Joe enjoy the vacation!!!

message 23: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1030 comments edited my movie night post Lynn.

message 24: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2552 comments So I've just tallied up the scores and posted the new spreadsheet ...... we've hit the 1000 score mark!

WELL DONE EVERYONE! Thank you for all your efforts :)

Please check your score and let me know if I've recorded anything incorrectly. If have something to add please let me know too.

message 25: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nchigh) | 537 comments You missed my addition from half and hour ago. I finished a book for Arts and Crafts for 21 more points.

message 26: by Lori (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 425 comments Hi, Lynn,
I edited my post minutes before the deadline. I finished a re-read of The Great Gatsby this AM. Good thing it's a short read!!! So, I should have an extra 20 points.

Thanks!!!

message 27: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2552 comments Thanks :)

Just sort my scavenger hunt pics and then I'll come back to this.

message 28: by Thing Two (new)

Thing Two (thingtwo) Lynn wrote: "So I've just tallied up the scores and posted the new spreadsheet ...... we've hit the 1000 score mark!

WELL DONE EVERYONE! Thank you for all your efforts :)

Please check your score and let me k..."

I just updated. Finished that last book at 11:58 a.m. EST! If I only had 4 more hours ... lol

message 29: by Lynn (last edited Jun 15, 2013 09:48AM) (new)

Lynn | 2552 comments Upated with the above changes.

Group Score Total: 1124

Let me know if there are any more updates / mistakes.

message 30: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments You guys are awesome!! ~ 1124 points. Outstanding job!

message 31: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments That's awesome!!

message 32: by Roz (new)

Roz | 3409 comments Wow!! Did you guys sleep at all? Great job, Camp AmLy!

message 33: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2552 comments We were reading machines! lol

:D

message 34: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments WOW! Our team is amazing!

message 35: by Marie Claude (new)

Marie Claude (mariecg2001) | 954 comments I can't believe how many books some of you have read during the week! I am not worthy! LOL

But I hope I'll always be in your team though ;o)

message 36: by AmyK (new)

message 37: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Marie Claude, you are more than worthy; you are the best! : ) Together we are the best team! I am on my phone, so I can't see Amy 's photo, but I am sure it is grand!