Fans of Southern Literature discussion

Cormac McCarthy
This topic is about Cormac McCarthy
Outraged.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (last edited Jun 06, 2013 09:27PM) (new)

Nick | 4 comments Okay, so outraged, maybe not quite. But I am in the media so I know how to get one's attention.
Did anyone else make the same mistake as I and read The Sisters Brothers?
I actually heard about it on Twitter from one of the sportswriters I follow and then I looked further into it and saw the rave reviews it was garnering so I thought I should check it out.
And then...
I opened the package and there, on the cover of the book was this:
"If Cormac McCarthy had a sense of humor, he might have concocted a story like Patrick deWitt's bloody, darkly funny western." This was written by a journalist at a periodical of note.
Blasphemy, I say.
Aside from the halfhearted attempts at describing grotesque acts such as removing the eye from a live horse, deWitt's novel was as hollow and unfeeling as anything I've read since I picked up Bright Shiny Morning.
The fact that the book is poor is one thing, the fact that someone had the gall to compare this aspiring (keep trying, Pat, I'm sure you'll get there someday) writer to our nation's greatest living writer gives me very little faith in the literary direction this world is headed.
Anyone else share these sentiments? Was anyone else tricked, as I was, into reading this bore of a novel?

message 2: by Maryann (new)

Maryann (madstitcher) | 4 comments Sorry, no I haven't read it. Western isn't Southern in my book.

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick | 4 comments Smug. Nice. No, the only reason I brought this up is because deWitt has been compared to one of the great Southern writers of all time. I just wanted to shed light on the egregious undermining of Mr. McCarthy's work by that review.

message 4: by Maryann (new)

Maryann (madstitcher) | 4 comments Steer clear of deWitt!

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric (Balsagoth) | 64 comments I don't know I thought it was pretty funny. Books are meant to entertain to get lost if you will, right? If you have a certain preconceived idea of what one may be and it falls short...sort of a bummer I suppose. However that being said I stopped listening to what other people said a long time ago. Go read "Smonk"...and take my advice I'm not using it.