Woodworking discussion

Common interest?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wtnhighlander (new)

Wtnhighlander | 6 comments Just curious about common interests outside of woodwork. Anyone else a fan of alternate history sci-fi?

message 2: by Marc (new)

Marc Spagnuolo (marcspag) | 1 comments Mod
For me it's primary standard Fantasy, though I can get into sci-fi. I know friends of mine keep recommend Atomic Robo as a comic series with alternate history. Haven't had a chance to delve into it though.

message 3: by Wtnhighlander (new)

Wtnhighlander | 6 comments I tend to favor stories with a 'technological' flavor over those with a mythological or pseudo-spiritual theme. Think Star Trek vs. Star Wars, although I read a lot of both. Baen books has to be one of my favorite publishers.

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Rogers | 1 comments Marc wrote: "For me it's primary standard Fantasy, though I can get into sci-fi. I know friends of mine keep recommend Atomic Robo as a comic series with alternate history. Haven't had a chance to delve into i..."

Love me some Atomic Robo!

message 5: by Wtnhighlander (new)

Wtnhighlander | 6 comments I'll also recommend just about anything with cover art by Frank Frazetta....

message 6: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (Drew224) | 1 comments Though I do enjoy a good Sci-Fi now and then. My personal is anything by Douglas Adams. Now and then I will grab an old favorite by Jules Verne.

message 7: by Wtnhighlander (new)

Wtnhighlander | 6 comments Ha! 'Slartibartfast' has to be my favorite character name of all time.

message 8: by Don (new)

Don Solari | 1 comments Just curious what was the name of the book?
Thanks, Don S.

message 9: by Wtnhighlander (new)

Wtnhighlander | 6 comments Son, Slartibartfast is a character from Douglas Adams 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' series. It has been a while since I read them, so I can't recall if he first appeared in the initial book, or one of the follow-ups.

message 10: by Paulcanbuildthat (new)

Paulcanbuildthat | 3 comments Also a fan of various science fiction books. Just read "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. Anyone else read? As someone who spent my youth in the video arcades, it was a great pop culture reference of the 80s (and the story wasn't too bad either)

message 11: by Rugby2 (new)

Rugby2 | 4 comments I readjust about everything from historical, educational, biographies, horror, adventure, and classics. Stephen King is tops in my book. Ive tried reading graphic novel and just can't stay with them long. It's a good thing B&N is closing, It always took me hours to decide on a couple books to bring home.

message 12: by Bob (new)

Bob For alt-history sci-fi, I really liked John Birmingham's Axis of Time story, which was an alternate history of WWII. Also a big fan of military sci-fi, like John Ringo's Posleen War series. Currently deep in Jay Allan's Crimson Worlds series, which is outstanding.

message 13: by Wtnhighlander (new)

Wtnhighlander | 6 comments Big fan of John Ringo, although I liked the Ghost series a little more than the Posleen War. Cool stuff!

message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul Baker (thehandywoodworker) | 2 comments I'm a big fan of sci fi and non-fiction, mostly!

message 15: by Guyonahog (new)

Guyonahog | 2 comments I will read most any genre if it catches my eye, or on the recommendation of a friend. I am partial to post apocalyptic though.

message 16: by Guyonahog (new)

Guyonahog | 2 comments I will read most any genre if it catches my eye, or on the recommendation of a friend. I am partial to post apocalyptic though.