Classics Without All the Class discussion

Jun 2013 - Solaris > Cool Quotes - maybe spoilers

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tome (new)

Tome (toenuff) I highlighted entire sections of this book that I found quite poetic. The imagery in the monsters of the licking water with gaping mouths that caress the symmetriads until the eventual "panic" and description of the death rattle, "There are final flutterings, contortions, and blind, random spasms. Gnawed and undermined, ..."

I also love the 2 pages in the Thinkers that discusses asks the question, "... what can mankind expect or hope for out of a joint 'pooling of information' with the living ocean? ...". This whole section ending with, "Over the years, Contact has become sanctified. It has become the heaven of eternity". Truly well-thought stuff. I had to reread it a few times to truly grasp just how much thought probably went into this digression.

BUT, My favorite quote in the whole book is the one that made me shudder. Truly maddening:

She pressed the switch, and darkness fell between us. Stretched out on the bed, I felt her warm breathing beside me, and put my arms round her.

"Harder!" she whispered, and then, after a long pause:

"Kris!"
"What?"
"I love you."
I almost screamed.

Something about the pacing of it, the way the last line captures the unseen tension, and even the way it looks on the page is just sooo friggin awesome!

message 2: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) Between the pages of my notebook, I felt something hard. It was they key to my apartment on Earth." (Kindle, Location 222)

message 3: by Shanea (new)

Shanea | 358 comments I actually found another bookmark to mark this one, to remind me to share it.
"The fate of a single man can be rich with significance, that of a few hundred less so, but the history of thousands and millions of men does not mean anything at all, in any adequate sense of the word."

message 4: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (infiniteink) | 87 comments My favorite quote:

"Man has gone out to explore other worlds and other civilizations without having explored his own labyrinth of dark passages and secret chambers, and without finding what lies behind doorways that he himself has sealed."

A beautifully stated truth.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 464 comments Crystal wrote: "My favorite quote:

"Man has gone out to explore other worlds and other civilizations without having explored his own labyrinth of dark passages and secret chambers, and without finding what lies b..."

I liked this one as well. Truth to it on so many levels.