Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - General > Do you read Short Stories?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Kalthoff (wkalthoff) | 32 comments sherlock holmes and very rarely do i read them

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 601 comments I've read some of the Canterbury Tales for an English class one semester but never got to really finish.

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Kalthoff (wkalthoff) | 32 comments I read all those and agatha christie poirot books.

message 4: by Mel (new)

Mel (bullet123) | 101 comments Yes, although admittedly I read several at once, usually as part of a collection. Eg several Holmes short stories or Poirot short stories. I've also got a couple of compendiums of pre 1940's detective and mystery stories.

message 5: by Aditya (new)

Aditya | 1857 comments I read Sherlock Holmes way back and now I seldom read short stories until & unless it is written by one of my favorite authors.I recently read a Stephen King short story collection Night Shift & enjoyed it.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen I am reading Agathat christie short story set for the Christi group on here. It is okay. I usually love her stuff. I really do not like short stories much. I like thick books.

message 7: by Marie-Jo (new)

Marie-Jo Fortis | 35 comments Just read J.V. Miller's What Else Do You Want. It's not exactly short stories (a memoir divided into distinct episodes), but it reads like short stories. Highly satisfying.

message 8: by Maribel (new)

Maribel | 2 comments Love Sherlock Holmes series, poirot's and Miss Marple's , and I had to read Edgard Allan Poe's for my English exams. I use to reread them all from time to time.

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 23 comments Always... I like catching up on the in-between events happening in series I enjoy. I also discover new authors and/or series that I hadn't known about.

Olivia "So many books--so little time."" | 679 comments I like short stories especially sci-fi and horror. Stephen King writes good short stories.

message 11: by Joyce (last edited Jun 08, 2013 08:04PM) (new)

Joyce | 10 comments Even when it's by an author I love, I'm always disappointed with a short story mainly because it is short and over too quickly.

message 12: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 15 comments I seldom read short stories

message 13: by Donna (new)

Donna | 64 comments From time to time, I'll pick up a collection of short stories. They're usually by a favourite author.

When I was young I use to enjoy reading stories in various women's magazines. For some reason though, those magazines don't carry fiction any more.

I quite enjoyed reading the Canterbury Tales in university. I'd go back and read them again sometime. I also recommend Ian Rankin's short stories. They are very well written and often shed a humorous look at mankind.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 601 comments Jac wrote: "I have a subscription to The New Yorker and love some of its short stories. I have collections of them by Jean Stafford, Thomas Hardy, Roald Dahl, Stephen King, Agatha Christie etc. And of course..."

I never read anything of Agatha Christie's but I did watch Mission Impossible. I hear a lot of people talking about her so I'm going to try one of her books and see how I like it.

message 15: by Jacky (new)

Jacky | 347 comments I love reading short stories. I usually read them in compilation books, it's a great way to discover new authors.

message 16: by Beth (new)

Beth  (techeditor) | 1004 comments Carmen wrote: "I've read some of the Canterbury Tales for an English class one semester but never got to really finish."

I read them for a college class many years ago. Problem for me was that our professor insisted we read them in middle English because she felt, for some reason, that this was better. I forget her explanation; that was 30 years ago. I did well in that class only because I "cheated" and bought the Cliff's Notes.

That professor and I, coincidentally, stayed friends for many years, long after she retired, right up to her death. I'll feel guilty for the rest of my life that I told her long after I graduated that I used Cliff's Notes for that class. I'll never forget the look of disappointment on her face, as if I had copied someone else's tests.

message 17: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Sexton (mlsexton) I read and write them. Short stories I believe are the best. They're short, sweet and to the point. I've read some novels that really could've been made into a short story and the author just dragged it out. But again, I'm a big fan of them.

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate Vane (katevane) I don't read a lot of short stories. I think it's because you don't have the same feeling of involvement as with a novel. And they're harder to get right - but when an author does they're great.

My favourite short story authors are Alice Munro and Raymond Carver. And we were read The Diamond Necklace by Guy de Maupassant at school and the ending has stayed with me ever since!

message 19: by Donna (new)

Donna | 64 comments Jac wrote: "Donna wrote: "From time to time, I'll pick up a collection of short stories. They're usually by a favourite author.

When I was young I use to enjoy reading stories in various women's magazines. F..."

Ian Rankin's collection of Rebus stories is A Good Hanging:Short Stories. My favourite in the collection involves a thief dressed as Santa.
I am currently reading Michael Connelly's Angle of Investigation. It is a collection of Harry Bosch stories from different points in his life. Very well written, tight stories. I highly recommend this collection too.

message 20: by VickiLee (new)

VickiLee | 251 comments I use short stories in a teaching capacity because they are succinct and often pack a punch. In my personal reading selections, I seldom read a book of short stories unless we are talking Nathanial Hawthorne, Poe, Bradbury, or Doyle (the old classics, I suppose).

message 21: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (diaze) | 267 comments I love them. It's a different skill set. I particularly like "The Best American Short stories" and "Best American Mystery Stories" series.

message 22: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronb626) | 3703 comments Haven't read many short stories for years, now. At times I want to get back to reading them, and then, another novel crops up that I want to read.

I used to read a lot of SciFi short stories. Of course, this was so long ago that the term "SciFi" wasn't in vogue. At the time, I believed that the short story was the best vehicle for science fiction. Many novels I'd read wound up with implausible endings. Always believed that the genre was full of good authors who couldn't sustain their idea into novel length. Hence, my belief that the short story was a better fit. I seldom read a short story that had that problem.

Today, the genre is full of great authors that can easily fit their ideas into good novels. There are just a ton of SciFi novels that support that contention. But, 20-30 years ago, that wasn't the case. Or, wasn't the case of most of the author's that I was aware of back then. The difference is good.

message 23: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 6313 comments The NPR station at the college gets the annual collection of the best American short stories and a copy usually ends of in my hands but I don't seek them out.

message 24: by Cécile (last edited Jan 07, 2014 08:40AM) (new)

Cécile Chabot (CecileChabot) | 1 comments I do, a lot.
Either in general literature, sc-fi, crime and mysteries. They have a special magic: the mechanism must be fine tuned, precise as a precious watch...

And the result is either a great lesson in writing or excruciatingly bad.

Cécile

message 25: by Dave (new)

Dave Gehrke | 13 comments No. I'm too busy reading long stories.

message 26: by Curlyhair (new)

Curlyhair | 44 comments Only by authors I usually read. I always feel cheated though, as it's a 'short, story!!

message 27: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (mesdupmoi) | 635 comments I like short stories, but only if I know and like the author. I will read the odd recommended one, but its rare.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I read some anthology sets, but haven't read ones for mystery yet. I did recently find a book of irish mysteries, although they seem more novellas, so Im curious on that

message 29: by Portia (new)

Portia | 308 comments I'm not a bid fan if short stories but I like Emma Donoghue's collection Astray.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that short stories in general seem to fallen out of fashion to some extent, not just those in the crime fiction genre. Although they might seem to be ideally suited to our sound-byte lifestyles, I'd say that short stories are actually too demanding for most readers - or at least that great ones are. Because the writer has so little space, readers must pick up on subtleties and hints, clues in single words and phrases, and that is too much like hard work for lots of us now. Although she is not in our genre, Katherine Mansfield was a brilliant exponent of this art - she could do more in a page than many writers can do in a hundred. And yet a not uncommon reaction to her now is - "but nothing happens!" Yes it did, but they missed it.

message 31: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 6313 comments The original post that started this thread is gone so I better post something here. Do you like short stories? Do you read any anthologies or short stories? Do you have any suggestions of websites that feature short stores, particularly mystery/crime thriller short stories?

message 32: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Mclaren | 182 comments Daniel wrote: "I love them. It's a different skill set. I particularly like "The Best American Short stories" and "Best American Mystery Stories" series."

I also enjoy these compilations and they show the strength and creativity of the writers in creating good stories and finishing them in a short period. Its a special talent to write short that a lot of people don't realize.

In addition to those series I've also read to great collections of short stories by Ray Bradbury, "The October Country" and "The Golden Apples of the Sun," that are good reads. James Lee Burke's "The Convict and Other Stories," is also very good and for a real classic, try Earl Derr Biggers (author of Charlie Chan) and "The Agony Column."

message 33: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 6313 comments As always thanks for the tips guys. My list just gets longer and longer.

message 34: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | -19 comments No. I don't like them.

message 35: by R.G. (new)

R.G. Belsky | 51 comments I wish I read more. It's a great writing format. I used to be a big fan of Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine. In fact, my first publishing credit was a short story for them. As an author, it's a problem because there's not a huge market for short stories and the pay is pretty minimal even if you do get one placed. But I still love them...The Kennedy Connection: A Gil Malloy Novel

message 36: by Dyah (new)

Dyah Subagyo (dyahsubagyo) | 112 comments Yes. I particularly adore Lord Peter Views the Body, a nice collection of short stories featuring my beloved sleuth.

message 37: by Helena (new)

Helena Greenfield | 61 comments I don't usually read them. Not that I don't enjoy them - I can love short stories, but it's just not something I read as often as novels.

The ones I read most is when a favourite author of mine also happens to have short stories featuring my fav characters and then I tend to read them cos it's nice to get a little glimpse at them (like Michael Connelly's, Ian Rankin, Dorothy Sayers or Arthur Conan Doyle. I've read most if not all of their short stories)

message 38: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 43 comments I really like short stories and they are especially useful for those times when I just can't do a novel due to chronic interruptions or illness. I particularly choose genre mags like Ellery Queen, Alfred Hitchcock and Asimov's just for the short stories and novellas.

message 39: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (beancake) | 44 comments I actually enjoy the Agatha Christie Miss Marple & Poirot short stories, and much better than the tv series based on them although the series does have Poirot described in the stories, made to look like the way he is described

message 40: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Mclaren | 182 comments Stephanie wrote: "I really like short stories and they are especially useful for those times when I just can't do a novel due to chronic interruptions or illness. I particularly choose genre mags like Ellery Queen, ..."

I'd forgotten about those mags! For a while there I was ripping right through them all the time. Thanks for reminding me. These days I don't read a lot of short stories (like you Helena) but I've recently bought Transgressions Vol. 1: Keller's Adjustment/Forever, as well as Female Sleuths Megapack: Lady Molly of Scotland Yard, Loveday Brooke and Amelia Butterworth.

message 41: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 10 comments I will only read short stories by my favorite authors from now on. I've read a few that by the time you get to know the hero/heroine the story is over. Would much rather read a fast paced full length suspense novel!!!

message 42: by Su (new)

Su Kopil (sukopil) | 7 comments I love short stories. I read Ellery Queen mystery magazine and Alfred Hitchcock mystery magazines among others. And I love a good anthology. Have quite a few on my shelves. Plus like others here....Agatha Christie stoire and I've got Sherlock on my shelves but haven't read yet.

message 43: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Park | 4 comments Is Ellery Queen magazine still published? I guess it is, since a couple of people mentioned it. I'll have to look online to see if it's available. Where I live, only "mainstream" magazines are available in stores, unless I want to drive 50 miles to a bookstore. lol

message 44: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (PamelaStAbbs) | 18 comments Short stories are brilliant. Sometimes they are fascinating ideas; or a peculiar look at life; or a big story in miniature. They can be pure, without the baggage of the novel.

message 45: by Anna (new)

Anna Lord (annalordauthor) | 4 comments I love short stories (crime/mystery/suspense) and all the classic authors were really good at it. Non-readers are often surprised to discover that Sherlock Holmes was predominantly a series of short stories.
anna

message 46: by Abubakar (new)

Abubakar Mehdi | 20 comments I am reading Alice Munro's collection Dear Love and it is mind blowing.

message 47: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 6437 comments I will read them depending on the subject and/or the author. I love the Best American Mystery short stories series.

message 48: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (beancake) | 44 comments I remember reading the Sherlock Holmes short stories at school. really interesting

message 49: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Mclaren | 182 comments Anna wrote: "I love short stories (crime/mystery/suspense) and all the classic authors were really good at it. Non-readers are often surprised to discover that Sherlock Holmes was predominantly a series of shor..."

Its a very special talent to write a short story well -- you have no room to wander, so its got to be fairly simple and direct and still keep the reader's attention. Novelists used to be very good at it but these days, when there are few magazines running short stories or serialized stories, I wonder.

message 50: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (beancake) | 44 comments I find reading a book of short stories good, each story unique but never count them by towards my reading challenge.

« previous 1