Faith Fringe discussion

Authors > Dean Koontz

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 49 comments A place to discuss the Dean of Suspense and his "shameless preaching of the gospel."

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason (jokers_knight_out) | 55 comments Mod
Nice use of my phrase. I'm planning to read one of his stories very soon, but can't decide which one to tackle first. Already read all his Frankenstein books (the first three, for me, were better than the last two), 77 Shadow Street, and What the Night Knows.
I'm pretty sure I want to start with his older books before going any further (besides his Odd Thomas books).

message 3: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Oh wow, the last two Frankenstein books were even worse than the first three, in your opinion, Jason??

message 4: by Jason (new)

It didn't feel right to me in the last two books, they felt like they had a very different style, and not just because they were in a small town rather than a major thoroughfare. It ended up feeling like rough reading. But that's just me. If someone else liked them better or equally, that's cool as well.

message 5: by Dustin (new)

Dustin The third book disappointed me immensely, so much so that I couldn't read them any more..

message 6: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 49 comments My only real problem with Koontz's books is that he can become over-descriptive at times. I mean, they're *pretty* descriptions, but they just aren't always necessary in my opinion.

message 7: by Dustin (new)

Dustin J.S. wrote: "My only real problem with Koontz's books is that he can become over-descriptive at times. I mean, they're *pretty* descriptions, but they just aren't always necessary in my opinion."

No, they aren't necessary. And Koontz' tendency to create such beautiful, picturesque scenes is part of my aversion to some of his newer works..

message 8: by Jason (new)

Did he do it much in his older works?

message 9: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Jason wrote: "Did he do it much in his older works?"

Not nearly as much, as far as I know.

message 10: by Gary (new)

Gary Martin (gmmartinbooks) | 2 comments I'm anxious to read 77 Shadow street. From what I've heard it's a real good book. I've read a few of his older books. I've liked them all, but I'll agree with others that sometimes he goes a little overboard with his descriptions. Sometimes more is not better.

message 11: by Dustin (new)

Dustin I'm a firm believer in the age old adage: "Less is more." I've heard good things about 77 Shadow Street, Gary.

message 12: by Jason (new)

Read it, felt he showed the story more than told it. Did better than WTKN, which took me 2 years, overall. But that's me.

message 13: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Jason wrote: "Read it, felt he showed the story more than told it. Did better than WTKN, which took me 2 years, overall. But that's me."

WTKN?

message 14: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 49 comments I think he might mean What the Night Knows.

message 15: by Dustin (new)

Dustin J.S. wrote: "I think he might mean What the Night Knows."

I think you're right, J.S.:) Thank you! Have you read that one?

message 16: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 49 comments Dustin wrote: "J.S. wrote: "I think he might mean What the Night Knows."

I think you're right, J.S.:) Thank you! Have you read that one?"

I did, and I liked it because it freaked me out, though I wouldn't say it's his best.

message 17: by Dustin (new)

Dustin J.S. wrote: "Dustin wrote: "J.S. wrote: "I think he might mean What the Night Knows."

I think you're right, J.S.:) Thank you! Have you read that one?"

I did, and I liked it because it freaked me out, though I..."

Okay, cool. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

message 18: by Kent (new)

Kent Songer | 4 comments Starting with "The Taken" and continuing on, Dean made a decision to cut back on much of the extensive verbiage and go to a more streamlined (for him) style. He also began to include his new, awakening Faith into this new style. His very early books had little Christian content because he really hadn't found his way yet.It also allowed him to start putting out two books a year.

message 19: by Jason (new)

Okay, cool, thanks for letting me know, Kent. Besides, The Taken was one of the bigger books (not page wise, but anticipation-wise) on my to-read list. Especially with Koontz.

message 20: by Kent (new)

Kent Songer | 4 comments If you like sic-fi, horror and Faith all mixed into one package, The Taken is the one for you

message 21: by Dustin (new)

Dustin I might just look into The Taken, thank you, Kent.:)

message 22: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 49 comments My favorite Koontz books are Watchers and the first Odd Thomas book. I also loved One Door Away From Heaven, because (view spoiler). And the villain in it gave me the absolute creeps.

message 23: by Dustin (new)

Dustin I am really intrigued by The Taken!

message 24: by Dustin (new)

Dustin J.S. wrote: "My favorite Koontz books are Watchers and the first Odd Thomas book. I also loved One Door Away From Heaven, because [spoilers removed]. And the villain in it gave me the absolute creeps."

I read One Door Away From Heaven several years ago, and remember enjoying it, but for the life of me, (view spoiler)

message 25: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 49 comments Dustin wrote: "J.S. wrote: "My favorite Koontz books are Watchers and the first Odd Thomas book. I also loved One Door Away From Heaven, because [spoilers removed]. And the villain in it gave me the absolute cree..."

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Dustin (new)

Dustin J.S. wrote: "Dustin wrote: "J.S. wrote: "My favorite Koontz books are Watchers and the first Odd Thomas book. I also loved One Door Away From Heaven, because [spoilers removed]. And the villain in it gave me th..."

Wow, my recollection of the story would seem to be very vague! Thank you!!:)

message 27: by Gay (new)

Gay Lewis | 1 comments My favorite from Koontz is the Odd Thomas series. The first one is my very favorite.

message 28: by Dustin (new)

Dustin I am really excited because while browsing our bookshelves this weekend, I noticed a Dean Koontz title that I wasn't sure about, so I checked it out. The Voice of the Night is one I haven't read before, and also one that I've been curious about lately!

message 29: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 49 comments Dustin wrote: "I am really excited because while browsing our bookshelves this weekend, I noticed a Dean Koontz title that I wasn't sure about, so I checked it out. The Voice of the Night is one I haven't read be..."

I haven't read that one, either. Surprising, I know.

message 30: by Dustin (new)

Dustin J.S. wrote: "Dustin wrote: "I am really excited because while browsing our bookshelves this weekend, I noticed a Dean Koontz title that I wasn't sure about, so I checked it out. The Voice of the Night is one I ..."

It's supposed to be one of his best, originally publish in 1980, under the pseudonym Brian Coffey (I think..) I am ecstatic about reading it!