Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Page Numbering Requests > 9780385537865

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren  | 19 comments 9780385537865 Dan Brown Inferno ebook
My ebook / nook book with this same isbn shows a total of 558 pages. Tested different font sizes but no matter still says total of 558.

message 2: by Empress (last edited Jun 07, 2013 04:17AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Worldcat shows 461. Are those 558 including chapters from other books?

This field is for entering the number of pages of a book. The number of pages in a book is meant to include all content except for advertisements and preview chapters for other books. Included end material may include acknowledgments, afterwords, appendices, glossaries, indexes, notes, and suggested discussion questions.

Introductory material paged using roman numerals is not included in the total page count.

message 3: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5017 comments eBook numerations can also vary across devices, so for generic ebooks we usually stick to a non-device specific pagination such as from WorldCat.

message 4: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments I changed it to 461, I looked at a few different sites and that's the count that makes the most sense.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren  | 19 comments I checked again and no matter what I do it still says 558. That is counting to the about the author page. I checked the Nook website and it says 480 so I have contacted them to see what is going on and/or report this bug.
***One website suggestion would be to make it so the reader can indicate how many pages there are for better self tracking, as I will not be able to do it with Goodreads as it is currently.

message 6: by Deon (last edited Jun 09, 2013 01:18PM) (new)

Deon (deonva) | 3379 comments often, ebooks just use the hardback/paperback as the count

(on a side note, i personally have 3 ebook devices and have never seen the page numbers difference.)

message 7: by Deon (last edited Jun 11, 2013 06:32PM) (new)

Deon (deonva) | 3379 comments http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...
by rivka: "First preference: an official page count for the ebook from the publisher. This is sometimes, but not always available.

Second preference: If the ebook is a fixed-page format (which PDF certainly is and ePUB is supposed to be), then from the ebook itself.

After that, it gets sticky."

it appears the ebook in question is a fixed-page format, as it is not changing when the font size is changed.