The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Is "Hunger Games" an extended allusion to cooking shows (such as Top Chef)?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

"Hunger" refers to eating, like in the Food Network, and "Games" refers to a game show of some sort. So logically, oughtn't this be about a young chef in a cooking contest?

Katniss is representative of a hunter-chef, one that captures and cooks her own food from the wild, who is entered into a competition related to food. Many master chefs do so, like Honey Boo Boo's father.

Notice in the Hunger Games, how people die if they don't eat? Well, that just goes to symbolize that if you don't select the proper ingredients in a cooking show, you will lose the round.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

My thoughts are that you have to be the most creative poster in the world, whatever the motive. A cooking show? Heh heh heh.

You forgot to comment on the Peeta Bread, the Cinna-mon, the Cloves and the berries, though!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Anastasia Inkyfingers - Caster of Enchantments wrote: "My thoughts are that you have to be the most creative poster in the world, whatever the motive. A cooking show? Heh heh heh.
You forgot to comment on the Peeta Bread, the Cinna-mon, the Cloves an..."

I did not forget.
I was simply testing you, grasshopper.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Let us not forget Katniss the Potato.
In fact, I would change my username to that if I weren't already dead-set on Catherine.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

*grasshopper rolls eyes*

President Snow-Cone.
GREASY Sae (the name says it all)
The Cafeteria (spin on Capitol)
The Steam (spin on the Seam)

Have you ever considered a career of writing parodies?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Anastasia Inkyfingers - Caster of Enchantments wrote: "*grasshopper rolls eyes*
President Snow-Cone.
GREASY Sae (the name says it all)
The Cafeteria (spin on Capitol)
The Steam (spin on the Seam)
Have you ever considered a career of writing parodies?"

Actually, yes I have.
Summer is here and it is time enough to write retarded/troll fanfiction. I'm going to select a series I'm interested in, spin a wheel, and choose the most random couple in a random situation, meanwhile making all of the circumstances as unreasonable and improbable as humanly possible.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds good Cath. Maybe you have found your purpose in life. Yaaaaay! Send me a link to them, would you?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Anastasia Inkyfingers - Caster of Enchantments wrote: "Sounds good Cath. Maybe you have found your purpose in life. Yaaaaay! Send me a link to them, would you?"

Do you have any recommendations?
Horrible pairings? Horrible situations? General weirdness?

I'm perfectly capable of coming up with hundreds on my own, but I do like to cater to audiences as well.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I know you're already capable. You could write an encyclopaedia of that stuff!

*is almost serious*

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Anastasia Inkyfingers - Caster of Enchantments wrote: "I know you're already capable. You could write an encyclopaedia of that stuff!
*is almost serious*"

I think I ought to write one about Ron Weasley being transformed into a cat and having an affair with Crookshanks, which results in angering Voldemort by the promotion of love and bonding, who jumps out of the closet and tries to kill Harry and Ron, only to realize that he is actually secretly attracted to them and they all have a happy threesome.

What do you think of my first?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't comment. Harry Potter is sacred to me! I'm in love with the magic of it all!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

People actually write crap like that. Believe me.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I've seen that sort of stuff before. It's disgusting.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Anastasia Inkyfingers - Caster of Enchantments wrote: "I've seen that sort of stuff before. It's disgusting."

Once, I found a special fanfic in which an anime character got possessed by a mind-controlling parasite (from the Host) and then was killed by Thor who was in a relationship with Bella Swan.

Also, another fanfic in which Voldemort appeared out of nowhere, cut Harry with a letter opener or something, killed some people randomly, and then made out with Ginny, all within the same chapter.

Fanfiction never fails to amaze me.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Go away Qin.

This guy was messaging me, Cath.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Anastasia Inkyfingers - Caster of Enchantments wrote: "Go away Qin.
This guy was messaging me, Cath."

The only way to deal with him is to be racist and sexist right back. It works like a charm for me.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Qin Shi-Huangdi wrote: "We bring this to Messaging. Now.
There are some things that need to be said that I don't want to get flagged for. The liberals who run this site love censorship."

Oh, the irony.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

No. Don't YOU even dare, Qin.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Anastasia Inkyfingers - Caster of Enchantments wrote: "No. Don't YOU even dare, Qin."

HINT: Google his namesake.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Do I want to know?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

And good luck bringing it to messaging. I've blocked you, Qin.

message 22: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Anastasia Inkyfingers - Caster of Enchantments wrote: "Do I want to know?"

who does anyways....

message 23: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia ...

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I know, Olivia. I know.

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall You can always guess when a thread is just too ludicrous for the poster to be serious that it's you, Catherine
Hey Anastasia :)

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall ☢ Catherine ☯ the Psychotic Comedian wrote: "People actually write crap like that. Believe me."

I wish I didn't...

message 27: by Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall (last edited Jun 09, 2013 11:46AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall Anastasia Inkyfingers - Rider of Thestrals wrote: "Do I want to know?"
FYI. Ruthless ancient Chinese warlord, I think that's all you want to know Inky ;)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

HA. I thought you were gone for a while there, Catherine, but you're back and funny as ever. U *R* a Psychotic Comedian, which in your case is a good thing.
This thread actually makes a lot of sense.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

libellule wrote: "☢ Catherine ☯ the Psychotic Comedian wrote: "I think I ought to write one about Ron Weasley being transformed into a cat and having an affair with Crookshanks, which results in angering Voldemort b..."

Depends. Is that what you wish for?

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

*chuckles fondly*

You guys are so insane.

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall Two double-strength cans of brain bleach please :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaqC5F...

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

*blinks*

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall Okay please tell me that is the Trolling Saruman link
*clicking*
Okay good, how's things in Middle-Earth?
*small talk*

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Rowenna of the Hawkswood wrote: "Okay please tell me that is the Trolling Saruman link
*clicking*
Okay good, how's things in Middle-Earth?
*small talk*"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoyZ1w...

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall Okay, so there are our confusing links of the year
And coincidentally this is the last time I look at a trolling thread.

message 36: by Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall (last edited Jun 10, 2013 02:59PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall Okay, to avoid flame war-ing I'll explain the link, I thought it would appear a somewhat lighthearted joke at your apparent trolling, I'm guessing you took it the wrong way, if so I apologize.
-Rowenna.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Good Rowenna!! Things are good. I see we've met the real-life Bill, Tom and Bert, then.

*sniggers at genius comment*

message 38: by Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall (last edited Jun 10, 2013 06:21PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall Anastasia Inkyfingers - Rider of Thestrals wrote: "Good Rowenna!! Things are good. I see we've met the real-life Bill, Tom and Bert, then.

*sniggers at genius comment*"

Pardon me Anastasia?

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall libellule wrote: "Rowenna of the Hawkswood wrote: "Okay, to avoid flame war-ing I'll explain the link, I thought it would appear a somewhat lighthearted joke at your apparent trolling, I'm guessing you took it the w..."

As well as trolling being the lowest form of wit.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Tom, Bert and Bill = Trolls from The Hobbit. Trolls = these guys!

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Trolls = witless!

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall Hallelujah!!!! Sanity is still left on the forums.(I did catch the reference just it took me a while to recognize the start of the comment)
Definitely T. :)
-Rowenna

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

T = Harry Potter grade?

(and yes, sanity still lives in a land where insanity reigns)

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall Anastasia Inkyfingers - Rider of Thestrals wrote: "T = Harry Potter grade?

(and yes, sanity still lives in a land where insanity reigns)"

Unintended but perfect!

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

*sighs happily*

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

When you're surrounded by idiots, what better to do than troll? I love intellectual discussions, but when I feel that I won't be able to get a decent one out of a person, I turn to a game a game of how much I can pull over his/her head until he/she calls BS.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

That, and I have a sick sense of humor.

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall I may have noticed ;)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Call me the Psychotic Comedian!