What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

White Time
This topic is about White Time
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. formerly fat teen boy, injury at go-kart track [s]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 4 comments Hey everyone,

Ok so the protagonist of the book I am looking for is a boy who is in high school who use to be fat his mother has died. There is one scene where he is in the shower and he is looking and feeling his stomach because he feels there is some fat coming back. He also has a crush on one of his friends who is a girl. There is another scene in the book where they are picking up trash and she starts to tell him about the data she went on with one of the popular boys at school. The Girl tell shim how they went to the go-kart track and while they were there another girl got hurt and the EMTs had to scrape her scalp of the track. While this was happening the groups she was with just laughed. That's is all I remember. If anyone can tell me the name of the book I would be much obliged!!!

message 3: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinathereader) | 4 comments Is it Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes by Chris Crutcher?

message 4: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (blafferty) | 76 comments Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes was my first thought, too, but I don't remember the girl in that going on a date with a popular boy.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Ok, no idea what the book is actually about but--that description doesn't seem to match what the OP says about her book. Well, except for the "he was fat" part, that is.

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments No I remember enough of Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes to know that his mom was alive and Sarah had facial scarring. This post did remind me of Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes though, so thanks for the memory:)

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Rosenberger (sarahatothek) | 37 comments Could it be Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson? I don't remember anything about go-karts, but it's definitely about a boy who loses a lot of weight and catches the eye of a popular girl...

message 8: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 4 comments Another note is there is one scene in the book where they have to pick up trash for community services for their school and the girl whose name I can't remember has this weird hat I think it is in the form of a moose. Also I think this story may be part of an anthology, but I am not completely sure.

message 9: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5052 comments Alicia, when did you read this book?

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39865 comments Mod
And are you still looking for it or did you find it?

Alysia  | 2 comments Still Looking for it if I find it I will let y'all know what it is

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Great, we'll move you out of Abandoned then.

message 13: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4272 comments No idea whether it covers all the noted details, but there's also Losing It.

Alysia  | 2 comments I found it!!! It is a short story called "Tell and Kiss" in the book White Time by Margo Lanagan

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Super.

message 16: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35755 comments Mod
White Time by Margo Lanagan for the link.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Twisted (other topics)
White Time (other topics)
Losing It (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Margo Lanagan (other topics)