Mount TBR 2013 Reading Challenge discussion

Buddy Reads > Dangerous Liaisons

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) Buddy-read starting on June 7th with: Margaret, Simran, Willowfaerie, MichelleCH. Feel free to join!

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments I saw your comment "Scandalous!" LOL! And only on page 25. Hahaha! I take it it's holding your interest already?

message 3: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) Yes! And I read the introduction, so interesting: the novel was considered wicked, diabolical and an outrage but sold out in two weeks. Marie Antoinette even ordered a copy covered by plain paper.

As to the story, I am worried about Cecile Volanges- the rosebud. Back to reading!

message 4: by Julia (new)

Julia (mizzelle) | 46 comments I actually started this a few months back for the Classics Club's French challenge -- quite a lot more fun than I expected. Depending on the schedule, I'll see if I can get some more in.

message 5: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments Two things about this book that really sets it apart from the vast majority of classics from that time is all about style and flow: 1) There isn't an overkill at all of character bio/background to trudge through to get to the actual story; 2) Is it just me, or is this the earliest form of the omnipotent point of view you've encountered. I just love getting inside every character's head, letter by letter.

message 6: by MichelleCH (last edited Jun 10, 2013 03:55PM) (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) Margaret, you are so right. This is fun, very different from most classic books. I am imagining the backgrounds for each character, ie. why Cecile left the convent.

That's a good question, about the omnipotent viewpoint, I was thinking The Woman in White might fit, but I'm not sure. It is certainly like being a fly on the wall.

Julia, were you reading it in French? If so, I'm jealous!

Simran, it is great writing, however I am surprised by the boldness. The Marquise's description of her secret love nest is quite advanced for the time, I would imagine. What struck me is how everything is developed with such plotting, even the encounter with her lover there.

Also, the whole scene with the harp and Danceny was so manipulative. The fake crying and acting all miserable. The whole fake benevolent act of Valmount with the peasant family is also incredibly manipulative. There is no value put on fellow humans; it's all a game to be played out as each person sees fit and may the most strategic win!

message 7: by Julia (new)

Julia (mizzelle) | 46 comments *laughs* No, Michelle, my French is not nearly that good to read literature. I took a few years in HS and semester in college. I've retained a surprising amount of vocab and general language but not that much! I'm using the Penguin edition of Dangerous Liaisons translated by PWK Stone. It was fascinating to read how the epistolary novel had developed and used by the time Les Liaisons had been published.

message 8: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments Funny how my understanding of human monsters has evolved over the years. When I first read this, I think I was about 25 or 26. I giggled at all the characters, the schemers, who knew all and the rest of them, who were completely ignorant.

Now, I see the schemers for the tragic people they are. I understand their motives more. They are people who never learned how to love themselves, so they are loving themselves vicariously through other people. (Oh, yes, tell me more about ME...tell me how much you love me, tell me why you love me) Getting their hearts is the great conquest, yet they have no respect for anyone who loves them because they don't love themselves, hence, throwing them away like garbage.

message 9: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) Sorry guys, I have been terrible at keeping up with my reading, I am hoping to be a chunk read tonight. Work, beautiful weather and book one of Game of Thrones have all conspired against me.

Julia: I have some Pimsleur tapes to **try** and learn French.

Simran: this and The Count of Monte Cristo!

Margaret: I agree, it takes maturity and wisdom to see how people really can be. This book has me exhausted with all of the plotting and scheming, clearly the idle rich.

message 10: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments Watch me top you where distractions from reading is concerned, Michelle...or at least, out-weird you! LOL!

I consider myself an agnostic first, but an agnostic who flirts hot and heavy with New Age. With that said, over a decade ago, I got into astrology, chart casting, that sort of thing. Well I've been lately spending my weekends working on astrological predictions for myself in the upcoming year as well as researching my astrological history. The way I see it, how can you know how to read what's coming if you don't first know how to read where it's been? Anyway, that's what I've been up to on my weekends here lately and why I'm usually absent on Saturdays and Sundays. :)

message 11: by Willow (new)

Willow  | 30 comments Margaret wrote: "Watch me top you where distractions from reading is concerned, Michelle...or at least, out-weird you! LOL!

I consider myself an agnostic first, but an agnostic who flirts hot and heavy with New Ag..."

Oh really, now you have me curious what sign you are. lol

message 12: by Margaret (last edited Jun 18, 2013 04:47AM) (new)

Margaret | 51 comments Willow, I am a Leo and proud of it!!! LOL!

Simran, I let my computer do most of the work for me, at least where chart casting is concerned. For interpretations, I use four different sources for my predictive work: Parker's Astrologer (it's my Bible! LOL), Predictive Astrology by Christine Shaw, Planets in Transit by Robert Hand, and Dynamics of Aspect Analysis by Bil Tierney (another "bible" for me, useful especially whenever planets in question are forming one major pattern) And then of course, my ever trusty notebook.

And yes, **all** of my astrology books are logged into my books, you can see any of them under my "astrology" tag. However, I always tell people who may be interested in learning more about chart casting, start with "The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need." I forget who wrote it but it's under my books tagged astrology. I "cut my teeth" on that book. It was my first astrology book and also the book responsible for opening that Pandora's Box on my astrology obsession.

message 13: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments So funny! Before I got into astrology that was how I always pictured people that were into it were like! :)

message 14: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) Margaret: that is very interesting....I'm a Taurus and it mostly fits me. Have you learned anything interesting?

Simran: chocolate keeps you awake? Good for you for finishing;what did you think? I need to get busy with reading.

I also noticed that I wrote that I hope to be a chunk read- that made me giggle- silly autocorrect. I meant that I hope to get a chunk read.

message 15: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) Margaret: that is very interesting....I'm a Taurus and it mostly fits me. Have you learned anything interesting?

Simran: chocolate keeps you awake? Good for you for finishing;what did you think? I need to get busy with reading.

I also noticed that I wrote that I hope to be a chunk read- that made me giggle- silly autocorrect. I meant that I hope to get a chunk read.

message 16: by Willow (new)

Willow  | 30 comments I adore Leos! They are such sunny people. In fact my hubby and my best bff are both Leos. I'm a Libra myself.

message 17: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments Oh so funny, I love both the Venus ruled signs. The two Venus ruled signs, btw are Taurus and Libra. So yeah, I sort of giggled a little when Michelle weighed in with her Taurus and then Willow with her Libra. Taureans might be the most notoriously stubborn in the zodiac but they put that steadfastness to good use in love because they also happen to be the most loyal.

Libras, I've been raised around so many of them in my life! My favorite uncle and my favorite aunt: both Libras. Then two Libra cousins, a great aunt and well, there's a predominance of Libra in my family. Big time! LOL! All the Libras I know are peace keepers and tend to fight for other people before they will fight for themselves. Oh and there's certainly a reason their symbol is the scales. Very strong sense of fairness!

message 18: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments Willowfaerie wrote: "I adore Leos! They are such sunny people. In fact my hubby and my best bff are both Leos. I'm a Libra myself."

Snap! I'm a Libra and my partner is a Leo too :-).

message 19: by Julia (new)

Julia (mizzelle) | 46 comments My mother is a Taurus so I'd agree on stubborn but loyal. I'm a Virgo myself -- nitpicky perfectionists -- and it's pretty accurate. I had my birth chart cast online once and had Virgo in several different houses (?).

message 20: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments Julia wrote: "My mother is a Taurus so I'd agree on stubborn but loyal. I'm a Virgo myself -- nitpicky perfectionists -- and it's pretty accurate. I had my birth chart cast online once and had Virgo in several d..."

I'm trying to understand your Virgo in several houses. I'm *thinking* you more than likely have 2 signs intercepted in your chart and that Virgo is duplicated (which would mean Pisces, the sign opposite Virgo is also duplicated). Virgo would rule 2 houses in your chart and also, if you have a lot of planets in Virgo, it would appear to have those Virgo planets in (up to) three different houses.

Nitpicky perfectionist, you say? Oh Gawd, don't me started! My Sun sign is Leo (the Sun sign is what everyone goes by when they answer the question, "What's your sign?") but believe me, I have plenty of Virgo energy going on underneath! Mars (the energy/aggression planet) and Moon (emotions, the Freudian "id") are both in Virgo. Plus, the thinking planet, Mercury is in Leo but directly on the cusp of Virgo. Then Jupiter, the planet that expands whatever it touches, makes a tight aspect to my Virgo Mars so I tend to get so bogged down in my details and nitpicking that I lose sight of my goals. LOL!

message 21: by Julia (new)

Julia (mizzelle) | 46 comments I pulled up the chart again -- maybe I meant planets? I show Virgo in Sun/Mercury/Venus/Pluto. Rising Sign is Leo, so I've been told I'm a cusp? Oddly no Pisces showing at all in the list. It's just a free thing, so it doesn't do into complete detail. I'd be happy to send you offline what I have, if you're that interested.

To bring it back to books (sorry Bev!), how do our personalities affect what we read? Do certain signs lean towards more analytical or more romantic books?

message 22: by C. (new)

C. (riedel) I'm finding the moderator (not the hostess) of the 'Dusty Reads' group so buzz-killing, I intend to leave. The object of communal threads is to spark an informative or pleasant discussion. I for one don't happen to be part of this one but smile at others enjoying it. Whatever the original topic-starter, this is nice to see.

message 23: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments Hello C.! LOL! We're still sort of discussing Dangerous Liaisons and now also astrology...I'm the accidental instigator of the latter. *Raises hand and points to self*

Julia, Leo Rising means the ruling planet of your chart is Sun. First impressions of you are the Rising Sign of Leo: Sunny, happy, center-stage kind of girl. It isn't until they get to know you that they see your Virgo traits. Is your Sun in 2nd house or 3rd? Also, empty houses don't mean nothing happens there. It's all about finding the planet that rules the sign on the cusp of that particular house. Mercury in Virgo is powerful because it's in the sign it rules. Not only that, but it's also "exalted" in that sign (the best traits come out in that sign.) Sure, you can just message me your birth data and I can tell you more about your chart. Also, have you tried astro.com? It's free and there's a feature under Free Horoscopes "Astro-Click Portrait" where you can click on any part of your chart and it will tell you what it means.

About signs indicating one's tastes in reading? I'd say look to whatever sign is on the cusp (beginning) of the 3rd or 9th house and where the ruling planet is located. For example, say someone has Leo on the 3rd or 9th house cusp and the Sun (planet that rules Leo) is in the 10th house (public) I'd say the person likes to read about royalties/dynasties, that sort of thing. If ruler of 3rd or 9th house is in the 8th house (legacies, sex, secrets) this would be someone who is either a history buff or a mystery buff. Or both. Could also be a fan of erotica. (I have Scorpio on my 9th and Pluto, its ruler, right on the 8th house cusp and I can tell you I'm a sucker for a good murder mystery, ghost story and also, the older I get, the more I get into history) I also have Taurus on the cusp of my 3rd house, Venus in Leo (the "royal" sign of the zodiac) in my 6th house. I love me some royal scandals, which is probably why I'm so crazy about the Tudor dynasty. This also gives me an interest in "chick lit."

I'm running out of time for the night, maybe later or at least by morning I can actually contribute something to the book we're all supposed to be discussing! LOL! I came up with a couple of theories on what signs to give our leading schemers! :)

message 24: by C. (new)

C. (riedel) The very first blog I wrote at WordPress and the importance of conveying it, is about how rules should never override the crux of their mission. We've joined these threads with books in common but friendships grow from the initial denomonator. I'm Carolyn. :)

message 25: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments Well said Carolyn! Glad you're enjoying our conversation. :) Most everyone in this thread is good, sometimes even Jemidar! *I'd better hide now. This is second time I've picked on her!* Hahaha!

message 26: by Jemidar (last edited Jun 19, 2013 06:27PM) (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments It's just as well then that I'm a typical Libran then with an overdeveloped sense of fairness. LOL.

message 27: by Julia (new)

Julia (mizzelle) | 46 comments Margaret, I've emailed you. Maybe you can make more sense of it than I can?

I do know what you mean about mods potentially being buzz kill. I've also seen the opposite unfortunately, where there's no control at all.

Has anyone watched any of Dangerous Liaisons adaptations? There are so many of them from the period pieces (Dangerous Liaisons & Valmont) to the modern (Cruel Intentions) to even a Chinese version.

message 28: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments The Marquise: definitely a Scorpio! Virgo Rising so that everyone thinks she's a refined moralistic lady but underneath, a packed 8th house (attraction to what's hidden) and an intense Mercury/Pluto conjunction. That would explain her uncanny insights into human nature and psyche.

The Vicomte: I'd give him a Fixed Grand Cross (Fixed signs are: Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, Aquarius) so he would have something in each of those signs, all squaring each other. Fixed is stubborn and resists change. One could argue his interests in women are changeable but the important point is that his views of sex and love have been unchanged...until the end, so I would say his Solar Arcs (predictive technique) changed signs so that his entire Grand Cross went from Fixed to Mutable (adaptable/changeable but more importantly, introspective and thinking).

message 29: by C. (last edited Jun 19, 2013 06:34PM) (new)

C. (riedel) Fortunately I'm on Jemidar's good side. :) Honestly, I never had dough for an astrological reading but curious what my 'chart' would reveal. I didn't care about "Dangerous Liaisons" because I don't know it but watching nice children play? Lovely. {heeheehee}

message 30: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments Jemidar if all else fails, I could use the best defense against Libras: "But Jemidar, on the other hand..." You guys can't stand the idea of not being fair or even thinking you're blind to the other person's perspective! You guys HAVE to be fair! LOL

In all seriousness though, it's the trait I admire most about your sign. BUT did you know the Sun is considered in its "fall" (worst sign for the planet) in Libra? NOT because you're bad people, it's because Libras spend more time worrying over other people than they worry about themselves.

message 31: by Jemidar (last edited Jun 19, 2013 06:44PM) (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments C. wrote: "Fortunately I'm on Jemidar's good side. :)"

Don't take any notice of Margaret as she's just still sore because I made her read The Turn of the Screw which she hated and the book she picked for me in revenge, I loved. I'm really very nice :-D.

message 32: by Jemidar (last edited Jun 19, 2013 07:00PM) (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments Margaret wrote: "Jemidar if all else fails, I could use the best defense against Libras: "But Jemidar, on the other hand..." You guys can't stand the idea of not being fair or even thinking you're blind to the othe..."

I'm a very typical Libran, anybody who knows anything about astrology always picks me. I know both my sun and moon are in Libra and I think I have Libra in a couple of other planets but I can't remember exactly where--my chart was done years and years ago by a good friend so I'm now a bit fuzzy on the exact details. I've spent my whole life not being able to make a decision to save my life, although I do pride myself on my decision to make you read Turn of the Screw as it was a good one. Fortunately, even Librans worry less about what other people think as they get old and grumpy. LOL.

message 33: by Willow (new)

Willow  | 30 comments I'm kind of a conflicted Libra. My Sagittarius rising insures that I will always stick my foot in my mouth, thus putting a dent into that Libra charm. And my Cancer moon means there is a dark brooding water sign underneath my sunny Libra façade.

And yes, I agree, the Marquise does sound like a Scorpio all the way! She waits so patiently for revenge. Of course, I haven’t read the book, but I’ve seen a few adaptations of the story on film

Valmont strikes me as a Gemini. He’s a master game player, has the smooth verbal skills of Mercury, and he thinks he can play without getting burned. But he is out of his league. They say air signs are out of touch with their emotions. They’re so busy thinking, they don’t realize at first what they feel. Valmont doesn’t even realize his heart has been broken until the Marquise tells him so. Isn’t Loki a Gemini?

message 34: by Willow (last edited Jun 19, 2013 07:14PM) (new)

Willow  | 30 comments Jemidar wrote: " Fortunately, even Librans worry less about what other people think as they get old and grumpy. LOL

LMAO! This is SO true. I think the fact that the world is rarely fair makes us cynical and grumpy later in life.

message 35: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments Sure does!

message 36: by C. (last edited Jun 19, 2013 07:53PM) (new)

C. (riedel) I saw "Cruel Intentions" and liked it. For reading I prefer paranormal (real / fictive), gothic suspense, or mystery (non-CSI) but have an open mind. There is SOME decent fantasy and historical. Have been delighted by general fiction (Gabrielle Roy, Maeve Binchy) and YA (Richard Sutherland, Bryan Buchan, Richard Peck, Wylly Folk St. John). There's the book part of my contribution to tonight's social gathering!

message 37: by C. (last edited Jun 19, 2013 08:00PM) (new)

C. (riedel) I saw Margaret's profile about owning 3000 books. Do I dare hope I'm not alone in continued support of REAL books? Not e-versions? Cause she's met her match in collecting in bulk (used sales! birthday presents!) and savouring a lifetime of reading through it. Everyone can look at my level 4 thread, for a photo of the SEPARATE FREAKING BUILDING I keep some of mine in! Mwahahahaha.... I wonder if I should attempt to count my unread lovelies.

message 38: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments OMG!!! So many great posts since I've been away! I only have time to respond to one or two though. (Subway while watching episode 8 of Game of Thrones season 1 with the hubby then off to bed.) I'll get back to you guys some more in about 6 or 7 hours. LOL!

message 39: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments Jemidar wrote: "C. wrote: "Fortunately I'm on Jemidar's good side. :)"

Don't take any notice of Margaret as she's just still sore because I made her read The Turn of the Screw which she hated and the book she pi..."

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!! I mean...argh! You just gave me bad book flashbacks! Make it go away!!!

And that's right! I can carry a grudge to the grave too. I'll see you in heck before I forgive your bad book recommendation!

I really did LOL in the car when I read your post! My hubby asked me what was up and it was just one of those stories that would take too long to explain! :)

message 40: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments C. wrote: "I saw Margaret's profile about owning 3000 books. Do I dare hope I'm not alone in continued support of REAL books? Not e-versions? Cause she's met her match in collecting in bulk (used sales! b..."

Oh Carolyn! *HUGS!* I've only just met you, but I love you! Yes, I am 100% book ONLY! And that's Books, NOT Bytes! Oh wow, you have a whole other storage house for your books? I wanted one of those huge house looking storages they sell at Home Depot for my collection, but I was so scared that Hoarders would call me! I have so much more to add about my spending sprees, which I prefer to call my "book binges" but I am running out of time for now! Later though, definitely later!

Everyone else, I'll get back with you then, too!

message 41: by C. (last edited Jun 20, 2013 09:54AM) (new)

C. (riedel) **HUGS** Every one of you here ('kindle' users or not, haha) gives me a great big smile when I stop by our computer. That includes FUTURE visitors of any thread or group. :) Our universe has many great souls to know! I'm trimming flowerbeds, gardens (any other vegetarians in the house?), herding rascally cats; night is when I read.

Speaking of any universe visible from the fiancé's telescope; when mosquitoes behave, we like studying the sky too. I'm in the country and the fireflies are out. They are real magic. :)

message 42: by Bev (new)

Bev | 328 comments Mod
Julia wrote: "I pulled up the chart again -- maybe I meant planets? I show Virgo in Sun/Mercury/Venus/Pluto. Rising Sign is Leo, so....

To bring it back to books (sorry Bev!), how do our personalities affect what we read? Do certain signs lean towards more analytical or more romantic books? "

No need to apologize! As long as y'all are having a good time, the discussions can go wherever you like. :-)

message 43: by C. (last edited Jun 20, 2013 03:08PM) (new)

C. (riedel) Good! In my newly-launched Kilamanjaro thread, the "where do you store a huge schwack" clamour has segued to: "show pictures of your cats near books"! We're squeezing the printed word into topics. It does NOT get any cuter! {GIGGLE} My door is open, one and all. http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 44: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments Bev wrote: "Julia wrote: "I pulled up the chart again -- maybe I meant planets? I show Virgo in Sun/Mercury/Venus/Pluto. Rising Sign is Leo, so....

To bring it back to books (sorry Bev!), how do our personali..."

You rock, Bev! :)

message 45: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments C. wrote: "Fortunately I'm on Jemidar's good side. :) Honestly, I never had dough for an astrological reading but curious what my 'chart' would reveal. I didn't care about "Dangerous Liaisons" because I do..."

I know a hint when I see one, C. Inbox me your birth data and I'll look at your chart this weekend. ;)

message 46: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments Julia wrote: "Margaret, I've emailed you. Maybe you can make more sense of it than I can?

I do know what you mean about mods potentially being buzz kill. I've also seen the opposite unfortunately, where there'..."

Check your inbox in a day or two. I keep running out of time for things Monday - Friday so if not tomorrow then on Saturday I will be able to tell you what I'm seeing in your chart.

message 47: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments Willow wrote: "I'm kind of a conflicted Libra. My Sagittarius rising insures that I will always stick my foot in my mouth, thus putting a dent into that Libra charm. And my Cancer moon means there is a dark bro..."

Dang girl! Your post AND Jemidar's reference to her own chart blew me away! See, I was posting under the assumption that no one else knew about astrology charts. You two sure showed me! LOL!

BTW Willow, it might interest you to know that a few years ago, when I was on an astrology forum, there was a big discussion on which Rising Sign was the strongest indicator for good looks. Sagittarius Rising was declared the winner. Also, you may interested in knowing that Angelina Jolie is Sagittarius Rising as well. :)

message 48: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments Jemidar wrote: "Margaret wrote: "Jemidar if all else fails, I could use the best defense against Libras: "But Jemidar, on the other hand..." You guys can't stand the idea of not being fair or even thinking you're ..."

Yeah, that's why I think you Libras, of all the signs, benefit best when your Sun progresses into Scorpio. Scorpios are all about throwing stuff out, transforming and above all, not taking any crap! LOL! You guys reach that new sign, it's like you're saying "Enough already! I'm not going through this mess for other people anymore...unless they can do something for me." (which is being fair to yourselves, for once)

Don't get me started on Libra energy. Yes, I was born with lots of Virgo energy, but my Moon is 28 degrees Virgo, just on the cusp of Libra. Plus...*sigh!* I have been cursed with a packed 7th house and when I say packed 7th house, I mean FIVE (5!!!) planets are in that stupid house that rules relationships. Just in case you don't know, in the natural zodiac, 7th house is Libra's house. Long story short, from age 20 and onwards, I was never left alone! I think I may have been single for two months but I had to fight tooth and nail for those two months. Male attention overkill when the thing I wanted most was to be left alone - didn't happen. Not to mention, manipulated into staying in a relationship time and again all because the partner "loved me" and how could I be so cold and heartless? Geez! I wasted practically all of my 20's sacrificing my feelings for other people's feelings before it *finally* dawned on me that for people who said they "loved me" they sure didn't have much consideration for *my* feelings, because all I wanted was OUT of the relationship!

Oh yeah, I'm also Aquarius Rising, so my ruling planet, Uranus (try telling people who know nothing about astrology that your ruling planet is Uranus and see how often they giggle!) is in Libra! So, yeah, I have lots of Virgo but also lots of Libra energy too. But unlike you, I don't get the benefit of the Sun progressing to Scorpio...LOL

message 49: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments Julia wrote: "Margaret, I've emailed you. Maybe you can make more sense of it than I can?

I do know what you mean about mods potentially being buzz kill. I've also seen the opposite unfortunately, where there'..."

I watched both Dangerous Liaisons with the all-star cast in the late 80s (or was it early 90's?) and loved it! Watched Cruel Intensions and loved it too. All I could think was, brilliant! If Dangerous Liaisons was modernized, it could *only* have a high school setting, where status and appearance means as much to people as it did 200 years ago! Haven't seen the Chinese version. Is it any good? And does it have subtitles?

message 50: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments C. wrote: "I saw Margaret's profile about owning 3000 books. Do I dare hope I'm not alone in continued support of REAL books? Not e-versions? Cause she's met her match in collecting in bulk (used sales! b..."

Well...I still haven't gotten around to adding the 140+ new books I've gotten this year. My last "book binge" was in April at my Grandmother's library. Every 6 months they have a big book sale, it's sort of mine and my Grandmother's "thing" LOL. We always (NO exaggeration!) end up leaving that sale with the library cart wheeled out to the car. Anyway, at the April sale, that library cart had to make TWO trips. I bought 138 books for $120. Nice!

« previous 1