Of Mice and Men Of Mice and Men question

Curley's wife: Nice girl or a floozy?
Karen Smith Karen Jun 06, 2013 03:10PM
In a letter, John Steinbeck wrote of Curley’s wife: ‘She’s a nice girl and not a floozy.’ What are you opinions on her?

She's both. She's a nice girl at heart, but because she is lonely, she resorts to getting attention from the only people around (the guys who work on the farm), in the only way she knows how to (flirting it up with them). So, while it may seem like she is a floozy, or a tart, she's really just lonely, desperate, and unsure of how to get attention any other way. I do feel bad for her.

I always feel a bit sorry for Curley's wife. She is stuck on the ranch with a rotten, jealous husband and has nobody to interact with. So, she uses her body to engage the ranchhands because that is the only way she knows to get attention. That being said, she was dumb enough to marry Curley just to get away from her mother---never a good reason for marriage.

i think she is a lonely women, there is no one for her to talk too, except the men who work on the ranch. I feel sorry for her

Monty J (last edited Jul 01, 2019 07:42PM ) Jun 06, 2013 07:29PM   0 votes
She's a Floozy.

That letter was to Clare Luce about the theater version, which had been softened from the hard boiled character in the book.

This is all discussed and thoroughly documented in threads elsewhere on Goodreads titled, "Curley's Wife, How Much Sympathy Does She Deserve," and "Jailbait: The Real Curley's Wife."

The character originally created in the book was softened for film and stage to increase profit by making her less offensive to the female audience. By doing so, Steinbeck has created massive confusion about this tragically flawed character. The Senise film version of her is hardly recognizable compared with the original novel version, who called Crooks the n-word in front of his friends, Lennie and Curley and threatened to have him hanged. There's nothing "nice" about a woman who could be co cruel.

Floozy, she's jus too much and I could never become friends wit this girl, becuase of the way she acts and flirts to evry single guy in their. RIDICULOUS, with an eye roll

Hunter (last edited Aug 02, 2013 08:55AM ) Aug 02, 2013 08:51AM   0 votes
I would like to relate curly's wife to the devil. Always trying to pull people in, flaunting herself at men. She is even said to have red nails and red lipstick. She knew that Lennie had a weakness for touching and petting soft things. It's almost as if she seduced him by letting him pet her curls. However thanks to foreshadows in the book we know that anything Lennie pet's ends up dying because he crushes them with his bare hands. But, have you ever thought that maybe that is what she wanted. She says she only married curly as a escape from her mother. But, she finds out that she can't even escape curly. So, maybe some part of her wanted to be killed by Lennie. First it started with the mice, then the dog and ending with curly's wife where she was finally set free. Also, I think there is signification behind why curly's wife does not have a name in the book.

M 25x33
Geoffrey Aronson Yes, but did she know Lennie's past. If not, then the theory that subconsciously she desired death falls apart. ...more
Mar 01, 2019 08:53AM

Lonely, yes, but she put herself in that situation. She was the flighty irresponsible gal who wanted out of Mama's apron strings. She took the first chance she could and ended up in a worse situation. How did she solve her problem? She went looking for love in all the wrong places. Again. Didn't she learn her lesson the first time?

She is lonely and wants attention. She was put down by her mother so settled for Curley (second best). She is property to the men around her.

Seems like she wasn't ready for marriage to start off. She desired a social life when her role in the ranch was to be strictly home wife to Curley. I reason that she was a bit independent and assertive which might have been what scared Lennie, her assertiveness.

nice girl, she was a nice girl with a bad past and an abusive husband. she just wanted a friend and someone to treat her nice to be loved but the people around her wouldn't let her.

lmao I guess all you guys need to do this for your GCSEs aswell

Anna yep
Mar 09, 2020 02:23PM