SFBRP Listeners discussion

SFBRP 200th Episode Ideas

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Guillermo (new)

Guillermo   | 29 comments I like Moidelhoff's idea too.

message 2: by Guillermo (new)

Guillermo   | 29 comments I think #1 7 8 and 10, but the others are solid.

message 3: by Luke (new)

Luke Burrage (lukeburrage) | 278 comments Mod
This is fun idea. If I did top ten it would have to be not just my top ten now, but what my top ten was before I started the SFBRP, and maybe my top ten when I was about 20.

Other ideas for the 200th episode:
Someone wanted The Quantim Thief.
Someone else wanted an author profile.

I didn't like either of those ideas.

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter | 15 comments and maybe ask for top 5 lists from listeners, and do a listener top 10 also.

message 5: by Keith (new)

Keith Jones (stormsdream) | 6 comments I would probably have trouble coming up with a list. Most of my scifi was read when I was much younger, and the stuff I've read recently just hasn't appealed to me with PKD being a big exception. My list would probably have a lot of Bester, Dick, Asimov and Clarke on it. Clarke is a hard sell though. I found him to be a much, much better short story writer than novelist. Maybe, Rendezvous with Rama, but I read that one so long ago, I barely remember it. The young me that read that one enjoyed the hell out of it.

message 6: by Alan (new)

Alan Smith | 15 comments Rather than the Herculean task of trying to select ten novels out of so many - how about a list of the ten most influential SF authors of all time. Of course this still might be a hard job!

message 7: by Alan (new)

Alan Smith | 15 comments Well, putting them in order could be difficult as it depends on what mood I'm in at the time. Certainly MIchael Moorcock would be in there, as would Asimov, Heinlein, Phillip Jose Farmer, Phillip K Dick, Jules Verne ,Joseph Campbell, H G Wells, Mary Shelley and Brian W Aldiss. But having compiled that, I wish I'd made it the top 20!

message 8: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (sf_fangirl) Top 10 science fiction books published since Luke started podcasting the SFBRP. Or Top 10 sci fi novels of the 21st century. Limit 1 novel per author. Nothing against the classic novels (I love many of them myself), but just trying to freshen up the list.

message 9: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Evans | 43 comments What about the top ten most downloaded episodes of SFBP?

message 10: by Alan (new)

Alan Smith | 15 comments Or the top 10 best rants? ;-)

message 11: by Isabel (kittiwake) (last edited Jun 12, 2013 05:06AM) (new)

Isabel (kittiwake) | 59 comments How about doing more varied top 10 lists? Top 10 alien species, top 10 space ships, top 10 space opera, top 10 cyperpunk, etc. That way the listeners could contribute lists of the sort of sf/fantasy they particularly like, and we might get more interesting recommendations out of it.

message 12: by Luke (new)

In that case it will have to be top 5 lists.

message 13: by Guillermo (new)

Guillermo   | 29 comments My list of 5 books that seem very interesting and I'd like Luke to review:

Valis by Philip K Dick

Ring by Stephen Baxter

Ilium by Dan Simmons

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

2001 by Arthur C Clarke

message 14: by Luke (new)

Juliane and I watched 2001 last night. I thought it would be a fun followup to reading Rama. She liked it up until the "To infinity and beyond!" part. It's been a long while since I read the novel.

I started American Gods but gave up after a few chapters. It didn't grab me at all.

Ilium I'm nervous about after Fall of Hyperion.

I read Ring some time ago. I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of Cities in Flight.

I can't keep Dick novels straight, but I'm pretty sure I've read Valis.

message 15: by Luke (new)

Maybe a new thread for random top 5/10 lists?

message 16: by Luke (new)

The ideas for episode 200 so far:

Top 10 science fiction novels for Luke of all time.
Top 10 authors for Luke of all time.
Top 10 pre-2000 written novels and top 10 post-2000 novels.
Top 10 novels Luke read before he started the SFBRP and top 10 after.

An author profile.
Review Plato's Republic.
In depth review of my own novels (Minding Tomorrow series).
A normal episode.
Review a science fiction movie.

Top 5 aliens, worlds, space ships, etc.
Top 5 top 5 lists from listeners.

Maybe I missed some. At the moment I most like the idea of my top 10 books of all time (maybe split into pre/post-2000 or pre/post-SFBRP sections), or sharing various top 5 lists from listeners, and then discussing my top 1 thing from each list (so I can talk about my favourite ship/baddie/planet/alien/etc).

message 18: by Guillermo (new)

Guillermo   | 29 comments I like your idea, Luke. Your top ten of all time split into pre and post 2000, comments on listeners lists along with your fav thing about them. I think that idea is most righteous!

message 19: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Evans | 43 comments Go for your pre-and post 2k top ten of all time. Its a celebration of your show and opinions...

Of course, if we wanted a Rantastic episode, you could to the WORST ten of all time.... which would be pretty funny.

You might need and EMT standing by in case of spontaneous human combustion of course...

message 20: by Luke (new)

I like the idea of top ten pre 2000, top ten post 2000, and bottom five of all time.

message 21: by Guillermo (new)

Guillermo   | 29 comments Then as we latins say when we want an action executed, Dale !!! Go!!!!

message 22: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Evans | 43 comments Luke wrote: "I like the idea of top ten pre 2000, top ten post 2000, and bottom five of all time."

Perfect!

message 23: by Luke (new)

Of course, the worst books I've read, I've not actually read. I started them and stopped pretty quickly. I'll have to pick out the top 5 books that stick out in my brain for being the most frustrating/infuriating books I've ever read.

Spoiler: I'm going to have to pick between two Robert J Sawyer books as I don't want the same author on the list twice.

message 24: by Luke (new)

I might do:

Top 10 favourite novels ever.
Top 5 novels since starting the SFBRP.
Top 5 series.
Bottom 5 novels.

message 25: by Luke (new)

I don't have the lists yet! And don't worry, there will be no spoilers.

message 26: by Luke (new)

Moidelhoff wrote: "Have you had any further requests for episode 200?
Any closer to a decision?"

I'll probably do some top and bottom lists. Not sure what they'll be yet, but there's some great ideas on the Top 5 Everything thread.

message 27: by Alan (new)

Alan Smith | 15 comments How about TOP 5 the sci-fi movie actresses BOTTOMS?

(ducks)

message 28: by Luke (new)

I have three podcasts to record. Life (vacation and conventions) getting in the way of recording.