Chick Lit discussion

Looking for recommendations

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Roberts | 18 comments Hi

I'm looking for recommendations of different authors to check out. I like Sophie Kinsella and I'm looking for more like her. Specifically I'm interested in light-hearted romantic comedies (emphasis more on the comedy). I'm especially interested in British authors and those who write in the 1st person like her. I've just come across Jane Costello, could anyone suggest anymore?

Danielle-Claude Mba | 9 comments Jennifer wrote: "Hi

I'm looking for recommendations of different authors to check out. I like Sophie Kinsella and I'm looking for more like her. Specifically I'm interested in light-hearted romantic comedies (em..."

This Could Have Been Our Song! A Coulda Woulda Shoulda Ballad

You can check mine out if you want. If funny, set in London and Toronto, written in the first person and in different point of view. And it's a series.

I hope you give it a chance.
Danielle-Claude.

message 3: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Schorr (meredithschorr) | 19 comments I would recommend any of the following:

Unscripted by Natalie Aaron
Finding Lucas by Samantha Stroh Bailey
Breaking the Rules by Cat Lavoie
Rita Hayworth's Shoes by Francine LaSala

They are all fabulous fun reads and cheap too :) I am addicted to chick lit so I can keep going!

And I'll include my books as well because it's hard to resist!

A State of Jane
Just Friends with Benefits

Happy reading!

Meredith

message 4: by Meredith (last edited Jun 07, 2013 09:21AM) (new)

Meredith Schorr (meredithschorr) | 19 comments The above books are not British though...

Try Yours Truly by Kirstie Greenwood, anything by Talli Roland (She's Canadian but has a British writing style) and Michelle Gorman (American but living in the UK and has a British writing style).

All of my recommendations are written in the first person.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Roberts | 18 comments Thanks very much!

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken O'Neill (TheMarryingKind) | 2 comments Hi
I'm the author so maybe I can not be trusted but hope you will check out my award winning comic novel The Marrying Kind. It is very funny and this week e versions are 99cents.

message 7: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Nalaielua Quirch (hulagirl50) | 2 comments Meredith wrote: "I would recommend any of the following:

They are all f..."

Thank You for posting those. I have been looking for some variety, this list sounds fabulous. Sorry if I eavesdropped. Joyce

message 8: by Karla (last edited Jun 11, 2013 03:28PM) (new)

Karla Hall (KarlaHall) | 11 comments FREE KINDLE ROM COM - Fiery, flirty and orgasmically funny, Antidote to Infidelity is free to download on Amazon Kindle from 12-16 June. Is there an antidote to infidelity? You decide! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antidote-to-I...

message 9: by Carla (new)

Carla (cjsarett) Hello Jennifer,

I'll take the liberty of posting a link to one of my comic stories here, Skinny Girl, published in Red Fez.

http://www.redfez.net/fiction/406

Best, Carla

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Roberts | 18 comments I've posted this in several different places, so I thought I would post the complete list of suggestions in each one. Here it is:

Memoir of a Private School Mom by Emma Powers
The Pigeon Pie Mystery by Julia Stewart
Yours Truly by Kirstie Greenwood
Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding
Simply Devine by Wendy Holden
Bad Heir Day by Wendy Holden
What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty
I Don't Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson

Series:
Divorced & Desperate by Christie Craig
Neighbor From Hell by R L Mathewson
Lucky Harbor by Jill Shalvis
Lucy Valentine by Heather Webber
Suite Dubai by Callista Fox

Anything by Talli Roland, Michelle Gorman, Marian Keyes, Emily Giffin, Jane Green, Sarah Pekkanen, Sarah Mason, Chris Manby, Valerie Laws, Louise Wise, Barbara Silkstone, Cara Bertoia

Recommended by the authors themselves:
The Marrying Kind by Ken O'Neill
A State of Jane by Meredith Schorr
Just Friends with Benefits by Meredith Schorr
Operation: Date Escape by Lindsey Brookes
This Could Have Been Our Song! by Danielle-Claude Ngontang Mba
Skinny Girl by Carla Sarett
Antidote to Infidelity by Karla Hall
Trouble at Toff Towers by Louisa Toff
Psycho-Mommy by Mira Harlon
No Strings Attached by Joanne Rawson
Unexpected Blind Date by Joanne Rawson

message 11: by Em (last edited Jun 22, 2013 01:02PM) (new)

Em Barrett (embarrettbooks) | 6 comments My chicklit novel, Leaving Green Island, just won an Honorable Mention in the 2013 Beach Book Festival, and I'm trying to spread the word about it to a wider audience :) If anyone is interested in checking it out, that would be wonderful! It's just $2.99 for your kindle or other e-reader!

"If you enjoy Emily Giffin or Jennifer Weiner, then add Em Barrett to your list!" ~ The Indie Bookshelf

Leaving Green Island

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Roberts | 18 comments Thanks, Em.

I might also add my book The Dr Pepper Prophecies to the list.

Mummy Loves Books (lillyalaine23) | 1 comments I would suggest Jenny Colgan if you've not already read her novels - brilliant books

message 14: by Lade (new)

Lade Tawak (deaduramilade) i love Sophie Kinsella. i have read or want to read book(s) by Kate le Vann(British), Emily Giffin, Sarah Dessen, Louise Rennison(British), Jill Mansell(British), Janet Evanovich, Meg Cabot, Sara Shepard, Cathy Cassidy, Lisi Harrison, Jane Costello, Jacqueline Wilson(British I think)

The Christy Miller Collection, Laura Jensen Walker, Lori Wick and Karen Kingsbury for Christian/Inspirational

I hope this helps

message 15: by Lade (new)

Lade Tawak (deaduramilade) series:
The Clique
The A List
Gossip Girl
Pretty Little Liars
Stephanie Plum
Confessions of Georgia Nicolson

message 16: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Nalaielua Quirch (hulagirl50) | 2 comments Will check it out!

message 17: by Carla (new)

Carla (cjsarett) I cannot find Jane Costello on Kindle...you've made me curious!

message 18: by Caroline (last edited Jul 31, 2013 02:28PM) (new)

Caroline (carolinem67) | 1 comments Hi Jennifer - I recently read 'Vacationista' by Tara Simone Vacationista. First person but not British as it takes place in Phoenix and Hawaii. I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it. Another book that I enjoyed recently was Beth Kendrick's 'The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service'The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service. Hope you find plenty of others to get your TBR list full again ~ Caroline