Speaker Geeks! discussion

What Do You Think (General)? > Female Superheroes

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lo, I'm a waste of time (new)

Lo (darkalleycookies) | 563 comments Mod
What is you opinion on the way female superheroes (and villains) are depicted in comics and in movies?

message 2: by Evan (new)

Evan (sampsom) | 578 comments There are two ways I would depict a super-heroine, one that appeals to men and one that appeals to women. The one that appeals to men is the fact that they are often wearing tight clothes and revealing clothes for example Scarlet Witch, (Magneto's daughter). She wears very little and I would say that a lot of Super-heroines do, this appeals to men.
The aspect that appeals to women is one that there is a strong woman to look up to. They can see someone who is strong emotionally and physically and this appeals to women and mostly at a young age which is good as it can set them to follow aspirations at young ages for example to join the police.

So I think they are depicted in those ways I'm sure there are more that I haven't noticed but those are the two I have.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hahahahahahahahaha! I love that!

message 4: by Lo, I'm a waste of time (new)

Thank you!
I think it's weird how many women wear things that look like bras and panties while the men have on full armor--if they're going to be fighting, why are they not protected at all?

Here's a website that shows how ridiculous the poses are, puts Hawkeye in poses female comic characters do: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/1...

message 5: by Lo, I'm a waste of time (new)

And it's not only in comics/movies, they do it in other things too. I watched a video somewhere that one of the actresses in Game of Thrones had a lot of nude scenes in the first season, then protested and was able to keep her clothes on until the producers made her do one more, probably a requirement of her contract.

And these are usually supposed to appeal teenage males. Star Trek fans were apparently a bit miffed at Alice Eve's underwear scenes, and both feminists and teenage boys gave the producer and writer ferocious complaints.

message 6: by Lo, I'm a waste of time (last edited Jun 14, 2013 09:52AM) (new)

H99 wrote: "Liane wrote: "Do you mean Ros? I heard that she refused to do nude scenes (she's playing a prostitute) that's why she was killed off. To be fair, GoT does feature nude scenes for both men and women..."

I don't even understand why breasts must be so sexualized. What if people sexualized ears?

(Is that a word?)

✿.Ⓐⓟⓞⓞⓡⓥⓐ.✿ (apoorvak) | 87 comments Lia wrote: "Yes, terrible. I don't see penises being sexualized and sold on the media like that. ><"

Yeah really lol... It's so sexist.

message 8: by Lo, I'm a waste of time (new)

H99 wrote: "Lia wrote: "Elves would rule the world if ears were sexualized, just sayin'. Lol. Weren't feet sexualized back in the time of the Lotus Feet?"

Yup, and yes, I think so.

I don't know if that's th..."

Yeah. Did you know that back then, if a man saw your ankles and proposed to you, you didn't have the power to say no?!

message 9: by Lo, I'm a waste of time (new)

That's awful. Imagine a nasty perverted rapist grabbing your hand, and you not have the power to do anything about it.