2006: DORIS LESSING
2005: ORHAN PAMUK
2004: HAROLD PINTER
2003: J.M. COETZEE
2002: IMRE KERTESZ
2001: VIDIADHAR SURAJPRASAD NAIPAUL
2000: GAO XINGJIAN

message 2: by Kynan (new)

Kynan Any speculation as to who might get it for 2008?

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark I still want Cormac McCarthy or Paul Auster to win it.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark Kyle, your years are off. It's

2007: Doris Lessing
2006: Orhan Pamuk
2005: Harold Pinter
2004: Elfriede Jelinek
2003: J.M. Coetzee

and so on.

message 5: by Conrad (new)

Conrad | 45 comments Mod
Granted, I live in an echo chamber. My friends and I are all American Idol-obsessed illiterates. We don't do much but drool, support military incursions, and play Halo. Indeed, I only read my first book last week, and it was by Erik Axel Karlfeldt; Proust and Joyce were considered and rejected for being pretenders to the Karlfeldt throne.

But who the $(*% is Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clezio?!

message 6: by Lavina (new)

Lavina (lavina_l) | 6 comments Seriously. And even if we wanted to read him, we couldn't because it doesn't seem that he's been translated into English? No translations come up in a cursory search, anyway.

message 7: by Conrad (new)

Conrad | 45 comments Mod
Perhaps that's the point. Engdahl also complained that we Americans don't read enough authors in translation. (This seems so untrue as to be almost funny to me.) Picking someone whose work has gone unnoticed in the English-speaking world due to lack of translation might be a way to make that point... if you were a half-baked, ignorant, tight-assed Swedish scholar who couldn't think of any reason why books might not be translated.

message 8: by Conrad (new)

Conrad | 45 comments Mod
I tend to think so. As a nation, we're pretty avid readers, all things considered. Not avid enough, but still.

message 9: by Joe (new)

Joe Mossa | 4 comments
philip roth is writing better now than in his whole life. his friend saul bellow got the nobel prize and roth should get one before he does.

message 10: by Stef (new)

Stef (buch_ratte) | 2 comments Kate,

there are nations who never got the Nobel Prize in more than 100 years while the Americans got 10 (if you caunt Singer as an American) so far. You got even more than we Germans and we call ourself a nation of poets and thinkers.
I never heard of this years winner but at least his books were translated into german and are now available in stores.

Conrad,

the Nobel prize isn't for nations of avid readers, it is for writing. By the way, I have the feeling you guys take this prize to serious...

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2 comments There was a short story by him in last week's New Yorker for anyone that wants a taste of what he can do...