Goodreads Developers discussion

questions > Ratings Details by ISBN?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charles (new)

Charles Trella | 6 comments Can anyone tell me which Method to use to pull back Ratings Details for an ISBN (or confirm these are not available)? I am looking to pull back daily:
1. The count of users that Added an ISBN
2. The Count of users that added an ISBN to their To Read bucket
3. The count of ratings by each level for an ISBN (i.e. count of 1*, 2*, etc, not just the average but the breakdown of either the count or percentage of each.) Thanks!

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) Hey Charles,

What are you hoping to do with the data?

message 3: by Charles (new)

Charles Trella | 6 comments They are some of the metrics we'd like to pull for our ISBNs in a dashboards system we're developing.

message 4: by Charles (new)

Charles Trella | 6 comments Michael - can you either point me to which Method can provide these data points, or to confirm that they are unavailable? If unavailable - any plans to make them available in the near term?

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) i think this is what you want: http://www.goodreads.com/api#book.rev.... We don't really have the rating details easily accessable, i think that has to-reads numbers but i'm not sure.

otherwise you'd want this one: http://www.goodreads.com/api#book.show

message 6: by Charles (new)

Charles Trella | 6 comments The book.reviews_counts only supplies:
ratings_count
reviews_count
text_reviews_count
work_ratings_count
work_reviews_count
work_text_reviews_count
average_rating

The book.show only returns the actual reviews.

I am trying to get the summary data for:
1. How many reviews for each (1 star, 2 star, etc.)
2. How many users have added an ISBN to their list at all.
3. How many users have added an ISBN to their To Read list.

Can you check with anyone else there to confirm that these are NOT currently available via any of your API calls? Also - is there any chance of getting them added to the book.review_counts method?

As a publisher, these are pretty key metrics for us since they help us to understand how a title is doing in the marketplace. It would be nice to pull these in an automated way, rather than having to try to get them manually by going to that book page on your site to get them.

message 7: by Charles (new)

Charles Trella | 6 comments Also - can you clarify the distinction between ratings_count and text_ratings_count?

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) Sorry for taking so long to get back to you:

ratings_count is the number of numerical ratings a book has (1-5 stars).

text_reviews_count is the number of text reviews a book has (length > 0)

the three items you mentioned are either in the book/show api or not in the api.

We will likely add them down the road, but it might be a while before we do.