Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and Readers discussion

Book Discussions > Second book syndrome discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kayla (new)

Kayla De Leon (kayladeleon) Bloggers, Authors, Publishers and readers in general,

I'm going to do a second book syndrome discussion on my blog and I would greatly appreciate it if people would contribute their ideas and thoughts about this topic. Send me your statement at thebookishowl@yahoo.com

For authors, include your full name and book/s you've written
For publishers, include your full name and your publishing company
For bloggers, include either your name or blog name and your URL

Thank you!

-Kayla

message 2: by Kayla (new)

Kayla De Leon (kayladeleon) Also, my blog is http://thebookishowl.wordpress.com/ so feel free to check it out

message 3: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 266 comments Please define "second book syndrome"... I haven't heard this term.

message 4: by Kayla (new)

Kayla De Leon (kayladeleon) In the most basic of terms, second book syndrome is when the first book in the series was completely amazing but the second book was lackluster and mediocre. Hope I helped!

message 5: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 266 comments Ah ok.

message 6: by Kelly (last edited Jun 15, 2013 06:07AM) (new)

Kelly Hull (kellyvan) | 37 comments I'm not sure if you want this on here, but I find the topic VERY interesting as I am having second book syndrome right now. It's funny, I had never heard of it before either, but I knew exactly what it was when I saw it because I'm suffering from it.

My first book Tent City Tent Cityended with such a bang that the first half of the second book practically wrote itself. But then in comes the syndrome. The manuscript for the second one of the series is finished but the ending and second half is rubbish. I can't send it out for beta readers in the condition it's in. Sometimes I think I can't even compete with the first novel, but I know my characters' story is not over so I trudge on. I have promised myself that if I don't get it right, I won't publish. I'm working on a cure for this syndrome. I'm taking another writing class that starts next week. These usually spark all kinds of ideas. Good look to anyone who has been feeling the ill effects of second book syndrome.

message 7: by Kayla (new)

Kayla De Leon (kayladeleon) Hi Kelly, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'll definitely use this in my discussion.

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary M (bookobsessed-akabooksmistress) | 4 comments Kelly wrote: "I'm not sure if you want this on here, but I find the topic VERY interesting as I am having second book syndrome right now. It's funny, I had never heard of it before either, but I knew exactly wha..."

That happens to me a lot too. I have the perfect beginning, but once I get to the middle i can never figure a good enough ending. The only difference between you and me is that I won't be publishing my books. I love writing on the side and maybe one day I might launch a book, but not in the near future. I wish you the best of luck.

message 9: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 266 comments I have book 3 syndrome...

message 10: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (turtledino) | 25 comments I have this! I've been trying to write book two for over a year now. I know what needs to happen, but the story doesn't seem as explosive as book one. Maybe I'm missing a key element, but I don't know what it is! *sigh*

Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Tent City (other topics)