Chemung County Library District discussion

Reading Challenges > June 2013 Reading Challenge (Books Into Movies)

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Connie (last edited Jun 06, 2013 11:47AM) (new)

Connie | 3 comments Mod
Our CCLD Goodreads discussion for June is "Books Into Movies". There are numerous books to movies coming out in 2013, and many of our favorite book series have already been produced as movies such as "Twilight" by Stephanie Meyer and "Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins. With that said....
What are your favorite books to movies?
What movie, based on a book, has ended up being a disappointment to you?
What is your wish list-a book you read and enoyed, and would like to see it made into a movie?

message 2: by Glenice (new)

Glenice Peel | 6 comments Mod
The Firm by John Grisham was a HUGE disappointment to me. The book was great and I was excited to see the movie when it came out and was very, very disappointed. My biggest disappointment when it comes to the movies are the actors are never how I picture them and it makes the movie difficult to watch when I want the actors to be someone else.. Lol. Edward in the Twilight series was much different in my head than he was on screen, so he was never believable to me.

message 3: by Glenice (new)

As a quick follow up to my last comment, I also really dislike Hollywood when it changes a great story to make what they think will be a better movie. It always disappoints.

message 4: by Gina (new)

Gina Beirne (ginabeirne) Glenice wrote: "As a quick follow up to my last comment, I also really dislike Hollywood when it changes a great story to make what they think will be a better movie. It always disappoints."

Like My Sister's Keeper???? They really ruined it.

message 5: by Dorisjean (new)

Dorisjean | 36 comments Mod
Connie wrote: "Our CCLD Goodreads discussion for June is "Books Into Movies". There are numerous books to movies coming out in 2013, and many of our favorite book series have already been produced as movies such..."

Heads up to all the Discovery of Witches (Deborah Harkness fans); the film rights have been purchased & they are working on a screenplay to adapt the book into a movie (eventually). I have the characters so vividly in mind that I dread seeing a movie of it done poorly. Same for the series I'm in love with now: Daughter of Smoke & Bone, & the sequel Days of Blood & Starlight. (Laini Taylor). All of that is in the future.

message 6: by Dorisjean (new)

I love the book, and movie (merchant ivory version??) "A Room with a View". How was Perks of being a Wallflower? Read the (audio) book & loved it, but not sure how the movie turned out. Anyone see it?

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee Dunckley | 40 comments Glenice wrote: "The Firm by John Grisham was a HUGE disappointment to me. The book was great and I was excited to see the movie when it came out and was very, very disappointed. My biggest disappointment when it..."

I didn't mind Cruise so much in The Firm but I thought he was completely miscast in Interview with the Vampire, I couldn't get into it at all because of that. (not that I'm into vampire stuff anyway, but I did read Interview and Lestat and so wanted to see what they did with the film). What type of actor did you picture for Mitch?

message 8: by Dee (last edited Jun 16, 2013 02:16PM) (new)

Dee Dunckley | 40 comments I thought they did a decent job with the "Water for Elephants" film (despite Pattinson), the actor that played the villain was really good and the screenplay wasn't bad. Didn't like "Life of Pi" at all, though I have yet to read the book, so it's not really a comparison.

message 9: by Jennie (new)

Jennie (jennie47) | 36 comments Mod
I recently read "Silver Linings Playbook" before watching the movie and this was definitely a case of Hollywood changing it to please audiences. Separately, I enjoyed them both but having read the book I was a bit distracted by the changes in the movie. I won't name specifics, for people that haven't had a chance to read/watch it yet, but I thought a lot of the things they changed lessened the seriousness of the main character's plight and turned the story into a romantic comedy. The movie was cute and entertaining but very shallow when compared to the book. Most of what I found to be moving and meaningful in the book was stripped from the story when it was adapted. If I hadn't read the book first I would have enjoyed the movie a lot more (which is probably the case with most adaptations).

message 10: by Jennie (new)

Dee wrote: "I thought they did a decent job with the "Water for Elephants" film (despite Pattinson), that actor that played the villain was really good and the screenplay wasn't bad. Didn't like "Life of Pi" a..."

I have read (and loved) both books but still haven't seen either movie. I would highly recommend reading "Life of Pi", although, depending on what they did with the movie, the ending might not have the same impact if you already know what happens. When I heard Ang Lee was directing it I was excited to see it but never got around to it while it was in theaters. I'll have to check it out from the library and see how it holds up to the book. I was also interested in seeing the "Water for Elephants" movie but heard it was only so-so. After your recommendation, I will have to check it out.

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee Dunckley | 40 comments Looking for an LP version of Life of Pi, still looking....

message 12: by Jennie (new)

It looks like Montour Falls Library has a LP copy but they're the only one I see that does in our system. Try searching this ISBN in the catalog and it should come up: 9781587244223.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee Dunckley | 40 comments Thanks, Jennie, I shall do that.

message 14: by Chris (last edited Jun 16, 2013 05:15AM) (new)

Chris | 1 comments I actually started Silver Linings Playbook, then saw the movie, then finished it. Weird, I know. I knew while watching the movie that it was different than the book and was so disappointed. Even the relationship with the father was changed. What was the point of that? Overall, the movie, yea was more fluff and had a feel good quality and Bradley Cooper was easy to watch. I actually liked the way the movie addressed the mental illness better than the book. The book kept referring the the hospital as the "bad place" which wasn't fair. And the book had he character returning from a hospitalization for years with no memory or knowledge of what had happened in his family during his stay. That seemed unrealistic. They messed with some of the fight scenes at the football games too. But overall, the book was better. That's usually the case.

message 15: by Dorisjean (new)

Chris wrote: "I actually started Silver Linings Playbook, then saw the movie, then finished it. Weird, I know. I knew while watching the movie that it was different than the book and was so disappointed. Even th..."

Oh good. Your review of the movie spares me from wasting 2 hrs. on it, when the book had so much more depth. (relatively speaking). :)

message 16: by Jennie (new)

Dorisjean wrote: "Chris wrote: "I actually started Silver Linings Playbook, then saw the movie, then finished it. Weird, I know. I knew while watching the movie that it was different than the book and was so disappo..."

I feel like you kind of have to forget the book, while watching the movie (which was impossible for me). I kept saying "That's not how it's supposed to happen!". That said, I thought the movie was decent as a loose adaptation and certainly not the worst adaptation that I've seen. People that I've talked to that hadn't read the book had positive things to say about it.

message 17: by Pat (last edited Jul 02, 2013 02:57PM) (new)

Pat Padden | 9 comments The best book (or play, in this case)to movie adaptation EVER in my estimation is Franco Zeffirelli's "Romeo and Juliet". The costumes are gorgeous, the sets are wonderful, and you get a real sense of the sultry, stifling Mediterranean heat that sets "the mad blood stirring" betwixt the Capulets and Montagues. Best of all, however, is that Zefferelli went with a young enough cast to make such a searing romance plausible. I laugh every time I think of Norma Shearer and Leslie Howard in a clinch. Yikes.

Other great adaptations were "The Godfather", "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" and "Interview with the Vampire".

I've never seen an adaptation of "Dracula" that can hold a candle to the book. The sense of escalating dread that Stoker builds for the reader as he sends poor Johnathan Harker on his initial journey to the Count's Carpathian homeland will probably never be equaled.

I'd like to see Michael Perry's "Population 485" adapted to the screen. It would make a nice little indie movie with an ensemble cast format, and the stories he tells in the book have, I think, a universality that belies the Wisconsin cheesehead ethos that might be your first impression of it, looking at the book's cover.

message 18: by Dee (last edited Jul 02, 2013 05:53PM) (new)

Dee Dunckley | 40 comments Pat, you are so right about The Godfather, the movie was excellent. And I loved Romeo and Juliet when I saw it as again as a full fledged adult. (saw it in the theater when it first came out but I was a bit too young to fully appreciate the quality). Didn't care for Cruise in Interview at all, though the movie itself was okay. I thought Carrie and The Shining were decent adaptations of the books and I totally agree about Dracula.

message 19: by Pat (new)

Pat Padden | 9 comments Ah! "The Shining" - I forgort about that one. Excellent adaptation. "Carrie" - I didn't like so much, 'though I think it was more my identification with the nerdy, self-conscious girl and the mother/daughter conflict as she tried to assert her independence that made me squeamish about it. I felt too bad for the kid to really enjoy the movie. The book left me with the same disquieted state of mind.

message 20: by Dee (last edited Jul 04, 2013 10:34AM) (new)

Dee Dunckley | 40 comments Both Spacek and Piper Laurie were fantastic in Carrie and the rest of the cast was good, too. I also thought the storyline was conveyed perfectly. But yeah, parts of it were difficult to watch!

message 21: by Pat (new)

Pat Padden | 9 comments You're right about the casting. That was my problem! It was so good and the story was so well-adapted from King's very emotionally-charged book that it was hard to watch.

message 22: by Glenice (new)

If I could have one movie made EXACTLY like the book, it would be Dean Koontz's The Bad Place. My favorite Koontz's book by a landslide.