An Advanced Victorian Steampunk Roleplay discussion

London Central > The Cemetery

Comments Showing 1-50 of 312 (312 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments ((RP with approved characters ONLY.))

message 2: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Kaijian walked past the headstones, ignoring the whispers. His hat bent low to cover his face, his hands were in his pockets, and he found a bench, hidden in an alcove. Now that he was out of sight from the street, he leaned back to rest his shoulders against the cool stone of the church.

message 3: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments The first part of Charlotte's London assignment was completed - including the escape-and-evade portion of the plan. She had lost the policemen some ten or fifteen minutes ago, but she had scaled the high wall of the Cemetery and snaked her way through the headstones and past the crypts just to be sure.

The bounty was tied safely to her belt on her left hip. She smiled to herself. C'était facile, non? she thought to herself. Too easy, almost... Wisdom and instinct told her to keep her guard up even if she had lost the police. One could never be too careful.

message 4: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He had caught sight of the ghost of a little girl weaving through the headstones and rose up to follow. Curious as to where she would go, he stepped after her lightly, careful to avoid stepping on someone's grave. His focus was on her, cutting himself off from the real world.

message 5: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments The sound of a footfall cracking a twig made Charlotte freeze in her tracks between two towering headstones. Her eyes scanned her surroundings, and she saw a lean figure making its way between graves not too far from her...heading right to her.

"Merde," Charlotte muttered to herself. She didn't know if he had seen her yet. She made a move to dash, but her foot caught on a stone near a gravemarker and she fell with a sharp cry.

message 6: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Kaijian's head jerked up in surprise and the ghost girl disappeared. Peering in the darkness, he saw a form fallen on the ground. "Excuse me? Are you all right?" he asked, walked over.

message 7: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments A string of French profanity echoed in Charlotte's head as she pushed herself up off the ground. She got to her feet on her own, but she had twisted her ankle.

She bit her lip against the pain, upset with herself that she'd been caught off guard enough to screw up this much.

"I...I'm afraid I have rolled my ankle," she growled, more to herself than to the stranger. "Oh, mon Dieu, quelle horreur..."

Now how was she supposed to get out of here?

message 8: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He offered a hand. "This cemetery always has its tricks," Kaijian commented with a sympathetic smile. Then he froze. Wasn't this the same kind of situation he had with the kitsune? Perhaps he should leave now. But then, it probably was his fault for deciding to look for ghosts and being there in the first place.

message 9: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "I wouldn't know. The ghosts in Paris know better than to leave stones in the way," Charlotte gripped, rotating her foot slowly.

message 10: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (last edited Jun 17, 2013 03:13PM) (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "Ghosts?" Kaijian looked at the young woman, curious and a hint of hope in his eyes. "Do you see them too?" he asked after a moment.

message 11: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments She looked up at him, startled at his question. "I can sense them," she said bluntly. Attends, Charlotte. Why are you telling him about yourself? She frowned to herself.

message 12: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments His shoulders relaxed and a small smile came to his face as he shook his head to himself. "The things you run into at night," Kaijian commented, more to himself.

message 13: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "C'est vrai," Charlotte said. Suddenly realising he might not understand, she translated. "I mean, that's true." Laughing ruefully, Charlotte added, "The men in Paris don't go chasing after ghosts, either. At least, not the ones who don't need to hunt them. Are you one? A hunter?"

message 14: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "Hunter? Why would you hunt ghosts?" he asked, his brow raised. It never occurred to him to get rid of ghosts. He just walked among them as if they were real people and ignored them just the same.

message 15: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments She raised a brow at him. "Sometimes, the phantoms are not as peaceful as they seem," Charlotte said bluntly.

message 16: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Kaijian nodded. "I hear them all the time. Their banter is quite annoying. But I suppose some ghosts have a greater influence in this world than others," he replied thoughtfully.

message 17: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "There are some ghosts who speak loudly," Charlotte said, "and there are some who...who choose to act out, for they believe no-one can hear them. Wretched things. Sometimes they do not realise that acting out causes harm...that is when they become most dangerous."

message 18: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (last edited Jun 17, 2013 04:02PM) (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He thought back over his encounters with the ghosts and realized that some of their actions could have caused some of the mishaps he'd seen on the streets. Kneeling down next to her, not caring how the wetness seeped into his pants, Kaijian looked her in the eye. "So if you sense ghosts, then did you see a little girl not too long ago? I was following her and then I heard your cry."

message 19: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "I believe she went into one of the crypts," Charlotte replied. "I cannot be sure which one, though. Why were you following her?" she asked suddenly, skeptically. "If you are not a hunter, then...?"

message 20: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Kaijian shrugged and smiled. "I was just curious. She actually seemed to notice me and I was hoping to, um, try out some of my skills," he explained.

message 21: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Charlotte arched her brow. "To be bestowed with the sight of spirits is one thing, but...you say you have other gifts?" she exclaimed.

message 22: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "Well, I was told I can expand on my abilities to see and hear them," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "I hoped to see if I could do it on my own."

message 23: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments She regarded him, curious. Intrigued. Oh, very intrigued.

"My name is Charlotte," she said suddenly, holding out her hand.

message 24: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He took her hand and kissed the air above it. "I'm Shen Kaijian. My English name is Jonny," he replied, letting go of her hand to give a tip of his hat.

message 25: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Her ankle already feeling better, she tested her weight on her feet. She winced a bit, but the pain was not unbearable.

"If you wish to find her again, I can...sense her through walls and such," Charlotte offered, surprising herself with her sudden civility and attempt at friendliness.

Qu'est-ce que tu fait, Charlotte? she demanded of herself. Why are you doing this?!

message 26: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (last edited Jun 18, 2013 12:06PM) (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Kaijian smiled and nodded his thanks. "That would be most helpful. Thank you, Charlotte," he replied, standing up as well. "She disappeared here, so perhaps she's nearby."

message 27: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Still cursing herself for making one blunder after another, Charlotte walked between tombstones towards the crypts. As she neared them, the sensation of the ghost in question became stronger, and she felt it tugging her until the bond became so strong she had no choice but to follow.

message 28: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He followed after, stepping lightly. Seeing the crypts ahead, Kaijian noted how ancient they seemed. They were much older than the other gravestones with faint etchings of family names on them. "Do you sense her?" he asked in a whisper.

message 29: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Charlotte nodded as she veered off unexpectedly to the right. "She is very strong," she said, more to herself than to Monsieur Shen.

message 30: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Kaijian raised a brow at that, wondering what she meant. The closer they were to the crypts, the more whispers he heard and many of the ghosts looked as if they were trying to leave. Curious, as he followed, he tried to spot which crypt the girl could be from.

((So, um, what should happen you think?))

message 31: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments ((Impromptu ghost hunting :D plus Charlotte is on an assignment right now for her Thieves' Guild...I think I have an idea...!!!))

Charlotte stopped in front of a large, ornately carved marble and granite crypt. It loomed over them like a dark cathedral, complete with a gargoyle at the apex of its triangular frieze.

"She's here," she told her companion softly. "Somewhere inside..." She studied the doors intently, searching their embossed brass panels for a clue.

message 32: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments ((Sounds exciting!))

Kaijian pulled out his pouch of picks. "Always be prepared, I suppose," he said with a small smile, as he bent down to examine the lock.

message 33: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Charlotte raised an eyebrow at him, immediately recognizing both his determination and his tools as those of an experienced thief. "A ghost-whisperer, and a thief as well?" she asked in her lilting French accent.

She crouched down next to him, running her sensitive fingertips over the panels. "This is exquisite work," she remarked. "Perhaps from the seventeenth or eighteenth century...you can tell by the way these figures are dressed..."

Charlotte stared at them intently. They were illuminated by the moon, the pale light deepening the shadows around the embossed forms.

message 34: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He glanced up from beneath his hat to look over the doors. "Indeed, it has wonderful craftsmanship. I wonder what kind of status this family holds," Kaijian replied as he placed the tension wrench in the lock. Swiftly, he determined how it turned, then stuck in a pick to push up the pins.

message 35: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Charlotte straightened up and squinted through the darkness at the name above the crypt doors.

Mon dieu!

It was a family connected to the job she was currently on.

Mais c'est parfait... she thought happily. Perhaps it wasn't so bad she'd ended up with this strange young man who could see ghosts.

message 36: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments In just a few minutes, the lock clicked and he twisted the doorknob. Opening the doors revealed a dark, chilled room with a heavy silence as if something were holding its breath at the disturbance.

Kaijian glanced over at Charlotte, then stepped inside, looking around for the girl. Surprising, it seemed that the other ghosts weren't there.

((I wasn't sure if he'll see the ghost yet. ))

message 37: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "She is here, oui," Charlotte whispered, "but it feels..."

Her voice trailed off as she entered the crypt. There were stairs leading downwards.

"Have you a...a flame?" she whispered, searching for the proper English words. "To create a light."

message 38: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Though he didn't smoke, Kaijian always carried a lighter, just as he always had his lock picks handy. He pulled it out and flicked it open. "I have a lighter. Do you see any torch nearby?"

((Or we could be like Hollywood and just have that flame be enough. :P))

message 39: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments ((ROFL))

Charlotte strode over to one of the torches mounted on the wall and took it down. Searching quickly for something to set alight, she decided a strip of her petticoat. It had torn anyway when she'd tripped.

She wrapped the strip of linen around the torch and doused it with the contents of her hip flask, not caring that it was a bit of a waste of fine cognac. There was much more where it came from.

message 40: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He held the light up to the soaked fabric and quickly it caught flame. Then he pocketed his lighter and held out his hand to take hold of the torch. "Perhaps I should go first?"

message 41: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "If you wish," Charlotte said, gesturing at the stairs.

message 42: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Taking the to torch, Kaijian began his descent. The crypt seemed well kept and there was a relatively minimal amount of dust and cobwebs. "So, what do you do on your free time when your not ghost hunting?" he asked over his shoulder, not liking the waiting silence.

message 43: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "I procure special items for my employer," she told him, giving him the shortened version of the story. "And what of yourself? How does a man who sees spirits spend his waking moments?"

message 44: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "I spend most of my time wandering London or sleeping. I work mostly at night, you know, for stealing," Kaijian explained.

message 45: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "Ah, yes. It is a life I know well," she confided.

They had completed their descent into the heart of the crypt. It was well-tended, but even then it was a chilling place - a box of marble and granite and gold, for each name was spelled out in gold-formed letters on the drawers of the crypt.

"She is here. I can feel her."

message 46: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments ((I'll have him spot her. What was your idea?))

His gaze wandered over the walls, reading the names when he caught movement in the corner of his eyes. Turning, he saw the little ghost standing near the end of the room. Glancing to Charlotte, he pointed to where she stood. "The little girl is there," Kaijian whispered.

message 47: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments ((Charlotte's working a job and this is the crypt of the family she's assigned to. She might do a bit of grave robbing.))

"She is?" Charlotte whispered back, peering into the shadows. "I cannot see them, Monsieur, but I believe you are right. Her presence feels very strong."

message 48: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments ((Ah, I see. ;) I'll give her an opportunity to steal.))

"I wonder who she is," he murmured. He looked around at the crypts. "Perhaps one of these is hers."

message 49: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "Is she saying anything?" Charlotte asked, walking slowly around the crypt, her fingers trailing over the golden names.

message 50: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Starting to shake his head, Kaijian paused as he caught a sound. Stepping closer, he strained his ears. "I think she's saying something like 'Uncle Christoph, do you want to play'. Not sure if she could see me or anything."

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7