Faith Fringe discussion

Ted Dekker
This topic is about Ted Dekker
Authors > Ted Dekker

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason (jokers_knight_out) | 53 comments Mod
Shall we talk about one of the masters of Christian horror? And his major impact on the Christian storytelling industry?

message 2: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Sounds like a plan, you can count me in!:)

message 4: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) I always wanted to read Ted Dekker, but have not yet. Any recommendations on where to start? I really wanted to read Thr3e.

message 5: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Well I haven't read it yet, but start with ThThr3e. Also, his epic Circe series blew me away on countless occasions, and Adam is just plan creepy!! Have fun, Autumn!

message 6: by Jason (new)

That was the first book of his I read and it started my love of Christian fiction in the first place. Highly recommendedstarting place for stand-alone. For a series, I'd suggest Black to start the Chronicles of History series.

message 7: by Dustin (new)

Dustin All you awesome Dekkie's should definitely check out this beautiful track, inspired by Ted's latest novel, Eyes Wide Open. (Thank you, again, J.S., for the insight.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX-ttO...

message 8: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 49 comments Just received this link in an email.

http://unbouncepages.com/outlawtour/

message 9: by Jason (new)

WHOA!

message 10: by Dustin (last edited Jun 11, 2013 01:23PM) (new)

Dustin I received the same e-mail and was going to share with the group! Thank you, my friend.:)

I think everyone should check out what Ted has to say about it:

http://vimeo.com/68020271

message 11: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 49 comments Dustin wrote: "I received the same e-mail and was going to share with the group! Thank you, my friend.:)

I think everyone should check out what Ted has to say about it:

http://vimeo.com/68020271"

I think it's sad that so many young people have left the church. My husband and I go every Sunday, and I think I'm the only person in my twenties who's there. (My husband is 31.) The rest all either have gray hair or are children there with their parents.

message 12: by Jason (new)

I agree, yet I feel a big part of the reason so many leave is what individual churches do/say. That along with all the extremist clichés and stereotypes that seem to be easy to believe. It's why I think of myself as a "paranoid skeptic," paranoid about everything people say and would rather look into things myself than simply take one's word for it. It's been very useful here in Oklahoma. Maybe Ted should focus most of his tour in this state?

message 13: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 49 comments I also think that a lot of it is the society we live in. Somehow material wealth and entertainment have become the "important" things in life, and faith gets thrown by the wayside. So instead of getting up early to go to church on Sunday, a lot of young people take that time to sleep in after a long night of partying.

message 14: by Dustin (new)

Dustin The statistics are sad, and quite staggering. And while my wife and I don't always make it to church every Sunday, we certainly do try to get up for worship.

message 15: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Jason- I tend to take things at face value as well, and question pretty much everything until I've learned more about the subject. It's the analytical nature in me!

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Jones | 4 comments Just finished Burn by Ted Dekker --it was excellent.

message 17: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 49 comments Michelle wrote: "Just finished Burn by Ted Dekker--it was excellent."

Ooh, I enjoyed that one, too! But I say that about pretty much all of his books.

message 18: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Has anyone here read House? If so, I'd be interested in your thoughts on it.

message 19: by Jason (new)

I have, wasn't as scary as I'd hoped, but it did get the message through quite clearly for me.

message 20: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 49 comments Dustin wrote: "Has anyone here read House? If so, I'd be interested in your thoughts on it."

Nope, but it's on my list.

message 21: by Dustin (new)

Dustin J.S. wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Has anyone here read House? If so, I'd be interested in your thoughts on it."

Nope, but it's on my list."

It's on my list, as well.:)

Did you write a review of House, Jason?

message 22: by Jason (new)

Not yet.

message 23: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Jason wrote: "Not yet."

Well I'd love to read it, if/when you review it.:)

message 24: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 49 comments Ted and Tosca need to take up standup comedy. (My video from earlier today.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRBPLr...

message 25: by Dustin (new)

Dustin I have a question, hopefully someone would be so kind to enlightened me: I saw just this morning that Blink and Blink of an Eye are the same book, but why do the titles differ? Is one updated, revised, etc..?

message 26: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 49 comments Dustin wrote: "I have a question, hopefully someone would be so kind to enlightened me: I saw just this morning that Blink and Blink of an Eye are the same book, but why do the titles differ? Is one updated, revi..."

Don't hold me to this, but I think that Blink might be the updated version. I haven't read it though.

message 27: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) Just bought Thr3e yesterday! I am so excited to finally read this book!

message 28: by Jason (new)

Blink is the older one. They were planning on making a movie of Blink, so Ted updated and revised it and called it Blink of an Eye. The only differences I can find are different cover artwork, the prologue chapter in the original is gone and the updated has an extra chapter of its own along with an interview with Ted.

message 29: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Autumn wrote: "Just bought Thr3e yesterday! I am so excited to finally read this book!"

Oh, I am THRILLED for you, Autumn!! I really want to read Thr3e badly! Happy reading!

message 30: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Jason wrote: "Blink is the older one. They were planning on making a movie of Blink, so Ted updated and revised it and called it Blink of an Eye. The only differences I can find are different cover artwork, the ..."

Sweet! Thank you for much for the information, Jason! I really appreciate it, man. Oooh, an interview with Ted, eh? How exciting! Have you read it?

message 31: by Dustin (new)

Dustin J.S. wrote: "Dustin wrote: "I have a question, hopefully someone would be so kind to enlightened me: I saw just this morning that Blink and Blink of an Eye are the same book, but why do the titles differ? Is on..."

Thank you, J.S.

message 32: by Jason (new)

Some. Of what I've read in the interview, it's mainly about the movie that was in production (no clue what happened to that- the rerealease was released back in... '08?) and how Ted got inspiration for that story as well as how he saw fans reacting to the idea of the central hero in a Christian story being borderline agnostic/atheist because of his power. Pretty thought-provoking. At the time I couldn't finish the interview and everytime I'd think about it, I'd get further distracted.

message 33: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Sounds fascinating! Do you know why you can't seem to finish reading the interview?

message 34: by Jason (new)

I think it's because I'm afraid it contains spoilers for the story. And I haven't read the entire story. Yet.

message 35: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do | 3 comments Dustin wrote: "J.S. wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Has anyone here read House? If so, I'd be interested in your thoughts on it."

Did you write a review of House..."

Hello Dustin, I've read House and if you haven't read it yet, I would be happy to share my thoughts of the book. (Though I haven't read it in a while.)

message 36: by Dustin (new)

Dustin N.S.A. (Search for the Truth) wrote: "Dustin wrote: "J.S. wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Has anyone here read House? If so, I'd be interested in your thoughts on it."

Did you write a ..."

I would love to hear your thought on House, as long as they're spoiler free. Thank you.:)

message 37: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Jason wrote: "I think it's because I'm afraid it contains spoilers for the story. And I haven't read the entire story. Yet."

Ahh.. that makes perfect sense!

message 38: by Dibily Do (last edited Aug 14, 2013 07:39PM) (new)

Dibily Do | 3 comments Don't worry, no spoilers about the story.

I enjoyed the book very much because of the horror/spiritual-warfare side to it. It isn't the best read or the best story line but I'm not too picky on that. A book that has almost the same feel to it is Adam (by Ted Dekker)(view spoiler). With that being said it does involve more occultism when compared to other books I've read from either Peretti or Dekker, and so it does get a bit weird at times.
I looked at the rating the book has on GR and from what I saw, it's a mixed bag of both good and bad reviews.

message 39: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Awesome. I really appreciate that!

Oooh, I LOVE Adam!! I'm encouraged by my thoughts on House, as the reviews are quite mixed and I've been kind of on the fence about it. Not that other reviews usually deter me from reading certain books; if I'm intrigued, I'll read it. And actually, the mixed reviews often encourage me to form my own opinions of the work.:)

The only Peretti book I've read so far is Illusion, so I wouldn't have much to compare it to. Let me ask you something, in your opinion does House seem more like Frank or Ted's writing? Or is it rather 50/50?

message 40: by Dustin (new)

Dustin For those interested, here's my review of Showdown.

message 41: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do | 3 comments I was young when I read it and so it was maybe the fourth book I've read from Peretti and my first book from Dekker, I can't really say on who's writing stands out more. I plan to read it again this coming October.

Ya, I encourage you to read more from Peretti. He is well know from his novels 'This Present Darkness' and 'Piercing the Darkness' but the two books I most enjoyed were 'The Oath' and the YA novel 'The Hangman's Curse'

message 42: by Dustin (new)

Dustin That's understandable. I hope that your re-read proves even better than the first time around.

I haven't given up on Peretti. This Present Darkness and Piercing The Darkness are on my "to-read" list, actually. I've heard that those are much better than some of his later work. Thank you.

message 43: by Jason (new)

They're certainly dark. For Christian books from the 80's, I was surprised that I hadn't heard any controversy from "Checklist Christians" (as I'm starting to call them) for all the dark stuff in them. None of them actually explicit, but definitely detailed enough to know what's going on with little room for ambiguity (if any). And, yes, they are officially my favorites (besides The Oath). I can see why Frank inspired Ted to write some darker Christian fiction.

message 44: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Thank you for the feedback, Jason.:) Knowing the basic premise of them, I can definitely see how they would be quite dark. In order to achieve the desired affect, however, I think they had to be written that way. I'm not complaining, either. I'm happy to know that they're dark!

message 45: by Dustin (new)

Dustin I'm not entirely sure if this is appropriate for the thread, but I just had to announce that I finished the 2nd book in Dekker's Paradise trilogy, and thoroughly enjoy it. Saint is a much better read than Showdown, IMO. I can't wait to find out how it ends.:)

message 46: by Dustin (new)

Dustin I thought I'd share with the group.:)

http://thechristianmanifesto.com/give...

message 47: by Jason (new)

Months later, now there's the episodic Water Walker to be followed by Hacker. Starting to wonder what comes afterward.

message 48: by Jason (new)

To top 2020 off, I'm stating I'm no longer reading Ted Dekker due to noticing massive changes to his style.