The Perks of Being a Wallflower The Perks of Being a Wallflower discussion

Buddy Read - The Perks Of Being a Wallflower

Comments Showing 1-50 of 112 (112 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Marwa (last edited Jun 10, 2013 07:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marwa This is a thread for me, Nour, Nena and Alyssia buddy reading The Perks Of Being A Wallflower starting Monday 10th Of June 2013. Anyone who wants to do it with us, feel free :)

RULES:
- Updates, status, comments are encouraged on this thread
- Spoilers must be put under spoiler tag

Nour Sharif I will ask Nena to add you :)

Nena hi!, I can't wait to start reading it, I hope you both enjoy it as much as I did the first time reading it

Nour Sharif Alyssia wrote: "I would have never found this if you didn't link it Nour. (Thanks!) It's weird (for me) to see a buddy read not being hosted on the SU&R page."

you are welcome ^^

It is new to me, too.

Nour Sharif Anyone started reading it?

Nour Sharif Well, I started reading it. And it is sooo cute so far =P

Nour Sharif Any of you read This Side of Paradise or To Kill A Mockingbird?

Nena weren't we going to read a certain amount of pages a day ? , i remember me and Nour discussed it but i forgot haha :S

Nour Sharif We discussed reading 60 pages/day because I noticed it would be easy for us to read as much. It is a book very easy to read and you would read much pages without noticing (I read 17% in about half an hour)
By the way, I thought that tomorrow maybe should we kick it up toward 70~80 pages?

message 10: by Nour (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif Oh and Marwa and I are going to buddy read "daughter of smoke and bone" after this book. Anyone of you care to join us?

I am going to put it it on shut up and read and we will see who joins us :)

message 11: by Nour (last edited Jun 10, 2013 05:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif (view spoiler)

HAHAHAHA =P

Kressel Housman I've already read the book, and most of you are closer in age to my son than to me, but I just want to say that a "buddy read" amongst young people like yourselves is just what I love to see on GoodReads. I wish schools across the world would do stuff like this.

message 13: by Nour (last edited Jun 10, 2013 06:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif Kressel wrote: "I've already read the book, and most of you are closer in age to my son than to me, but I just want to say that a "buddy read" amongst young people like yourselves is just what I love to see on Goo..."

Thank you, Kressel.
And you are right. These things should be more common.
I know that Marwa and I are the very few readers in our communities in here. It is very sad to see how no one reads in here anymore. (well, good for us since we get the books before anyone else does, but also sad because that makes the books more and more expensive to us and we're young so we haven't got that big of a budget).
And it is also sad since, well at least for me, I am made fun of for reading in this disturbing community.

message 14: by Nena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nena @Nour: hahaha

@Kressel Yeah when i was younger i always wished our school would do stuff like this and put us in groups so that we could read and discuss, but it never happened :/

None of my friends like to read so this is my first time in a buddy read and i am so excited.

message 15: by Nena (last edited Jun 10, 2013 06:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nena i love this part in the book it made me tear up a bit the first time i read it ( i know it sounds so silly haha but i did, i wish i had a guy think of me that way) this is on page 73 so if you haven't read page 73 don't click the spoiler button

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Nour (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif Nena wrote: "@Nour: hahaha

@Kressel Yeah when i was younger i always wished our school would do stuff like this and put us in groups so that we could read and discuss, but it never happened :/

None of my frie..."

Awww! I am glad we made you happy ^_^

In our school, they don't push us to read. They say "you have a school library , go check it out!" It is a very good library by the way. Mostly Arabic and French books (we're french educated) but they never push us to actually read and tell us what to read or anything like that.
On the other hand, in the english section in our school, they read awesome books like " Romeo and Juliet " and Macbeth (which I read and which is VERY AWESOME)... I wish they can push us to read like they do. And I have always noticed that English section girls read WAYYYYY more (Still not enough, though) than French section girls. Argh. I wish in my section they would be like that.

message 17: by Nena (last edited Jun 10, 2013 06:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nena @Nour we used to have reading competitions and i did win some of them, which was great, but some people cheated and didn't finish the books and said they did, and i have no idea why since when you win you do win books haha.

our school did push us a little bit to read, like we had to get books from the library and do assignments, like pick our own book and then write about it and stuff like that it was so much fun i miss it :/

message 18: by Nour (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif Nena wrote: "@Nour we used to have reading competitions and i did win some of them, which was great, but some people cheated and didn't finish the books and said they did, and i have no idea why since when you ..."

Oh :( I wish they do that to us :(

We had a reading competition in here organized by Oxford. Second prize was a kindle fire HD, but then people in here started killing each other and bombing each other so we stayed home for ten days, and the sign ups date passed without me signing up :(
But it is ok. Because I prefer a kindle e-reader over kindle fire HD.

message 19: by Nour (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif (view spoiler)

message 20: by Nena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nena Nour wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

lol poor aunt haha

message 21: by Nour (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif by the way, I finished the 60 pages assigned for today. Now I am going to wait for you girls to finish :)

Nena, I noticed that you only marked daughter of smoke and bone as to-read, so do you want to read it with us?

Marwa I am going to start reading it right now :)
I think Alyssia is going to buddy read it with us, right?

message 23: by Nour (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif Marwa wrote: "I am going to start reading it right now :)
I think Alyssia is going to buddy read it with us, right?"

Yes she is :)

message 24: by Nour (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif Oh and marwa, 60 pages are just the beginning of 29% on kindle ok?

Marwa Nour wrote: "Marwa wrote: "I am going to start reading it right now :)
I think Alyssia is going to buddy read it with us, right?"

Yes she is :)"

Ok, I will add her name on the first message.

Nour wrote: "Oh and marwa, 60 pages are just the beginning of 29% on kindle ok?"

Alright :) I will read till 29% and if it was a good easy read we will make it more pages ok?
Of course, if Nena and Alyssia agreed too. :)

message 26: by Nour (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif yeah that was what I said earlier. If you girls are ok with it we should kick the reading up to 70~80 pages tomorrow :)

Marwa I think Charlie and I are around the same age. We are both starting high school. :)

message 28: by Nour (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif pretty much. the difference is he was starting highschool in 1991 not 2013 :P

Marwa No, wait, the letter was supposedly written in 1991.. I wasn't even born then lol.
But it is nice to think we are around the same age.

message 30: by Nour (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif hahahahhahahaa

Marwa 4%
"Now, she acts a lot dumber in the hallways, especially when boys are around."

I have never understood why would anyone think that a dumb hot girl is good.
People are weird.

message 32: by Nour (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif Marwa wrote: "4%
"Now, she acts a lot dumber in the hallways, especially when boys are around."

I have never understood why would anyone think that a dumb hot girl is good.
People are weird."

EXACTLY!!!!!

message 33: by Nour (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif Maybe people are just lazy. Dumb is much more effortless.

Marwa lol or maybe boys think that they are somehow better when they have a hot girlfriend that is dumber than him?

Oh, that is just pathetic.

message 35: by Nour (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif Actually, yes... The sexists and stereoptyped among them.

binnudeya I just wanna say something that's a bit spoilish, but I lovedddd loved the poem about hus friend!

message 37: by Nour (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif binnudeya wrote: "I just wanna say something that's a bit spoilish, but I lovedddd loved the poem about hus friend!"

it isn't spoilish =P The only spoilish aspect about it is that the book has a poem in it =P

Marwa 11%
Charlie is adorable! He has a kind of innocence that I don't see in teenagers anymore.
It is almost silly the way he talks.

message 39: by Nour (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif awww so it wasnt only me who noticed it. Awesome!!

Marwa Im glad Im not the only one. :)

This is the first time I hear this description "He is a wallflower". But I like it.
“You see things. You keep quiet about them. And you understand.”

message 41: by Nour (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif I loved that part so much!!!!?

Marwa I really like it too :)

So, I accidentally read till 30%, but I just really wanted to read about Secret Santa.
(view spoiler)

message 43: by Nour (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif it is ok ._.
and what secret santa?! damn it....

message 44: by Nour (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif btw have you noticed that you typed wallflowe and not wallflower? :P

Marwa Nour wrote: "it is ok ._.
and what secret santa?! damn it...."

You will know tomorrow :P

Marwa Nour wrote: "btw have you noticed that you typed wallflowe and not wallflower? :P"

Yes I did when I first logged in GR today. :P I corrected it then.

message 47: by Nena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nena haha i made a mix thingy on spotify, all the songs from the book, i liked some of them, but the songs from the movie are more fun in my opinion, but i love the beatles song he mentions <3

message 48: by Nour (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif oh i love the beatles! which song did he mention?
and i would love to gear the mix, Nena :)

message 49: by Nour (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nour Sharif hear*

message 50: by Nena (last edited Jun 10, 2013 01:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nena @Nour: Me too!, The name of the song is -something- it's really good, i have been listening to it over and over <3

« previous 1 3