Paranormal and Horror Lovers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
**CLOSED** BotM (July) Nominations: Large Press

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caedy , Psycho Bunny Bibliophile (new)

Caedy  Eries (karida) | 30 comments Mod
Please note, we have added to the Nomination Rules a LIST OF PUBLISHERS to better determine where your nomination should be posted.

NO COMMENTS ON THIS THREAD, PLEASE!!

This thread is STRICTLY for nominations. If anything other than nominations are posted in this thread, they will be deleted immediately.

When nominating a book, please be sure to do the following:

1. Provide a linkable/clickable cover
2. A link to the author
3. A basic summary of the book
4. Please be sure to post a nomination in the Big Press Category as well

EXAMPLE OF NOMINATION POST:

To Get The Following To Appear Properly:

Watchers by Dean Koontz
Watchers by Dean Koontz

summary,summary,summary,summary,summary,summary,summary,summary.

You use the below code, being sure to remove the ' @ ' sign from where it is seen:

[@bookcover:watchers]
[@book:Watchers] <@b>by<@/b> [@author:Dean Koontz]

<@i>summary, summary,summary,summary,summary,summary,summary,summary.<@/i>

For those who do not know how to do this, please refer to THIS POST for coding information. If you are still having issues with it after reading the post, you may CONTACT US and we will assist you as quickly as we can.

These nominations will be closed and a poll opened for voting on June 21st to determine which book will the Large Press Book of the Month for the month of March!

Thank you!

message 2: by Caedy , Psycho Bunny Bibliophile (new)

Caedy  Eries (karida) | 30 comments Mod
For my Large Press Nomination, I'm wanting to continue the Stephen King books, because I adore his stuff...

I'm nominating:
The Talisman by Stephen King
The Talisman by Stephen King.

Jack Sawyer is on a desperate quest to save his mother's life. He must search for a prize through an epic landscape of innocents and monsters. There are incredible dangers and truths in this journey. The prize is essential, but the journey is more than that.

Let the quest begin...

message 3: by Missouri (new)

Missouri Dalton | 2 comments I'm going to throw this one in the mix, because it's both paranormal and funny.

Nightlife (Cal Leandros, #1) by Rob Thurman

Nightlife by Rob Thurman

There are monsters among us. There always have been and there always will be. I’ve known that since I can remember, just like I’ve always known I was one ... Well, half of one, anyway.

Welcome to New York City - a troll under the Brooklyn Bridge, a boggle in Central Park, and a beautiful vampire in a penthouse on the Upper East Side. Most humans are oblivious to the preternatural nightlife around them, but Cal Leandros is only half human.

His father’s dark lineage is the stuff of nightmares – and his entire otherworldly elf race are after Cal. His half brother, Niko, gave up college to keep them on the run for four years, but now the Grendel monsters are back. And Cal is about to learn why they want him. He is the key to unleashing their hell on earth. The fate of the human world will be decided in the fight of Cal’s life...

message 4: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Rydder (ThomasRydder) | 39 comments I would like to nominate one of the new Dean Koontz books, "The Funhouse"

The Funhouse by Dean Koontz Dean Koontz

Once there was a girl who ran away and joined a traveling carnival. She married a man she grew to hate--and gave birth to a child so monstrous that she killed it with her own hands. Twenty-five years later, she has a new life and two normal children. But her past still haunts her--and now the carnival is coming back to town...

message 5: by Samuel (new)

Samuel | 41 comments My nomination is Stephen King's "last Castle Rock story," "Needful Things."
Needful Things by Stephen King
Stephen King

A wonderful new store has opened in the little town of Castle Rock, Maine. Whether your heart's secret desire—sexual pleasure, wealth, power or even more precious things—it's for sale. And even though every item has a nerve-shattering price, the owner is always ready to make a bargain.
In this chilling novel by one of the most potent imaginations of our time, evil is on a shopping spree and out to scare you witless...

message 6: by Jason (last edited Jun 07, 2013 09:00PM) (new)

Jason Parent | 20 comments For my large press nomination:

The Pilo Family Circus by Will Elliott
Pilo Family Circus by Will Elliot

You have two days to pass your audition. You better pass it, feller. You’re joining the circus. Ain’t that the best news you ever got?” Delivered by a trio of psychotic clowns, this ultimatum plunges Jamie into the horrific alternate universe that is the centuries-old Pilo Family Circus, a borderline world between Hell and Earth from which humankind’s greatest tragedies have been perpetrated. Yet in this place—peopled by the gruesome, grotesque, and monstrous—where violence and savagery are the norm, Jamie finds that his worst enemy is himself. When he applies the white face paint, he is transformed into JJ, the most vicious clown of all. And JJ wants Jamie dead! Echoes of Lovecraft, Bret Easton Ellis, Chuck Palahniuk, and early Stephen King resound through the pages of this magical, gleefully macabre work nominated as Best Novel by the International Horror Guild.

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Gibson | 9 comments A Nice Place To Live by Robert C. Sloane by Robert C. Sloane
Christine and Nick Marino are young, beautiful, and very much in love. When they move to the suburban town of Mill Harbor with their son, Joey, they begin to live a dream come true. A dream that gradually, undeniable turns to nightmare. Because something is awry in the charming village of Mill Harbor. Something is very, very wrong.

message 8: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Cadavori (pjcadavori) Catacombs of the Damned by P.J. Cadavori Catacombs of the Damnedby P.J. Cadavori

Catacombs of the Damned is a sexy, shocking, supernatural horror story for adults.

Synopsis:

Selling their London home and buying a decaying rural pile in the wilds of the English countryside seems to Bill and Alison Cavendish the perfect way to swap the stresses and strains of the city for a peaceful new life in the country, with the added bonus of cash in the bank. Unfortunately the manor house which captures their interest in the picturesque village of Little Daunting has problems far older, deeper and nastier than rats and dry rot. The cellars conceal a terrible, shocking secret; one which dates all the way back to the witch hunts of the 17th century and to those who would steal living bodies in the quest for eternal life.

As Bill and Alison soon discover, at least one of the villagers knows far more than he is admitting about the gruesome events that have been taking place in the ancient, walled-off catacombs, which lie concealed under the neighboring churchyard. When Bill and Alison and their new gypsy allies investigate, they find themselves lifting the lid on unimaginable horror...

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Quarles | 3 comments Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King
Full Dark No Stars by Stephen King

"I believe there is another man inside every man, a stranger . . ." writes Wilfred Leland James in the early pages of the riveting confession that makes up "1922," the first in this pitch-black quartet of mesmerizing tales from Stephen King. For James, that stranger is awakened when his wife, Arlette, proposes selling off the family homestead and moving to Omaha, setting in motion a gruesome train of murder and madness.
In "Big Driver," a cozy-mystery writer named Tess encounters the stranger along a back road in Massachusetts when she takes a shortcut home after a book-club engagement. Violated and left for dead, Tess plots a revenge that will bring her face-to-face with another stranger: the one inside herself.

"Fair Extension," the shortest of these tales, is perhaps the nastiest and certainly the funniest. Making a deal with the devil not only saves Dave Streeter from a fatal cancer but provides rich recompense for a lifetime of resentment.

When her husband of more than twenty years is away on one of his business trips, Darcy Anderson looks for batteries in the garage. Her toe knocks up against a box under a worktable and she discovers the stranger inside her husband. It’s a horrifying discovery, rendered with bristling intensity, and it definitively ends a good marriage.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 11 comments Hunted (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #6) by Kevin Hearne
Hunted by Kevin Hearne

For a two-thousand-year-old Druid, Atticus O’Sullivan is a pretty fast runner. Good thing, because he’s being chased by not one but two goddesses of the hunt—Artemis and Diana—for messing with one of their own. Dodging their slings and arrows, Atticus, Granuaile, and his wolfhound Oberon are making a mad dash across modern-day Europe to seek help from a friend of the Tuatha Dé Danann. His usual magical option of shifting planes is blocked, so instead of playing hide-and-seek, the game plan is . . . run like hell.

Crashing the pantheon marathon is the Norse god Loki. Killing Atticus is the only loose end he needs to tie up before unleashing Ragnarok—AKA the Apocalypse. Atticus and Granuaile have to outfox the Olympians and contain the god of mischief if they want to go on living—and still have a world to live in.

message 11: by Paul J. (new)

Paul J. Kenyon (authorpaulie) | 4 comments My nomination for large press is:

Ash by Malinda Lo
Ash by James Herbert

Deep in the countryside, ghost hunter David Ash is investigating a mysterious, secluded stately home. Reports from locals regarding strange goings-on make him think the house is haunted... But not even David Ash's long professional history of warding off evil spirits can prepare him for the shocking discovery that awaits.

Good luck, James!

message 12: by Missy (new)

Missy The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker
The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker

Frank Cotton's insatiable appetite for the dark pleasures of pain led him to the puzzle of Lemarchand's box, and from there, to a death only a sick-minded soul could invent. But his brother's love-crazed wife, Julia, has discovered a way to bring Frank back—though the price will be bloody and terrible . . . and there will certainly be hell to pay.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.