Paranormal and Horror Lovers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
**CLOSED** BotM (July) Nominations: Small Press

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caedy , Psycho Bunny Bibliophile (new)

Caedy  Eries (karida) | 30 comments Mod
Please note, we have added to the Nomination Rules a LIST OF PUBLISHERS to better determine where your nomination should be posted.

NO COMMENTS ON THIS THREAD, PLEASE!!

This thread is STRICTLY for nominations. If anything other than nominations are posted in this thread, they will be deleted immediately.

When nominating a book, please be sure to do the following:

1. Provide a linkable/clickable cover
2. A link to the author
3. A basic summary of the book
4. Please be sure to post a nomination in the Big Press Category as well

EXAMPLE OF NOMINATION POST:

To Get The Following To Appear Properly:

Watchers by Dean Koontz
Watchers by Dean Koontz

summary,summary,summary,summary,summary,summary,summary,summary.

You use the below code, being sure to remove the ' @ ' sign from where it is seen:

[@bookcover:watchers]
[@book:Watchers] <@b>by<@/b> [@author:Dean Koontz]

<@i>summary, summary,summary,summary,summary,summary,summary,summary.<@/i>

For those who do not know how to do this, please refer to THIS POST for coding information. If you are still having issues with it after reading the post, you may CONTACT US and we will assist you as quickly as we can.

These nominations will be closed and a poll opened for voting on June 21st to determine which book will the Small Press Book of the Month for the month of March!

Thank you!

message 2: by Caedy , Psycho Bunny Bibliophile (new)

For my Small Press Nomination, I'm choosing to nominate

Hive by Griffin Hayes
Hive by Griffin Hayes.

Nearly two hundred years after the planet was ravaged by millions of undead Zees, the human race is still struggling to rebuild. The Zees may be long gone, but so too are centuries of scientific advancement.

A group calling themselves The Keepers of Knowledge have set out to retrieve and protect what little technology survived the fall. When four of their Prospectors go missing, the Keepers turn to a no-nonsense mercenary named Azina and her eclectic crew of hardened veterans to find them.

The search leads the group to a crumbling underground city. But what looks like just another ruin from a bygone era isn’t nearly as deserted as it appears. Soon, a simple rescue mission becomes a slippery descent into hell as Azina and her men unwittingly awaken a savage, bloodthirsty world. Who will stand and fight, and who will be lucky enough to stay dead?

Summary pulled from the Goodreads Page.

Griffin Hayes is a fantastic author and I adore him.

message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian Parker (funrunner1977) | 3 comments I would like to nominate my own book, GNASH, for consideration in the July BOTM.

GNASH by Brian Parker

message 4: by Missouri (new)

Missouri Dalton | 2 comments Shameless self nomination.

Death's Children by Missouri Dalton
Death's Children by Missouri Dalton

Augustine Fleur went into the grave knowing that curiosity killed the cat burglar, but when she rose she discovered a world where curiosity kept one alive. A newly risen Grave Watcher, Augustine stumbles through her new world –Paris, London, and elsewhere-- under the guidance of Sebastien Crowle, who has his own baggage.

But while Augustine may have left the grave behind, there are those who would much rather she never did.
The Ghost King, a mythical entity of terrible power is stalking her, demanding something be returned to him. Except Augustine has no memory of the theft, and he’s getting impatient. With a grave disturbed in London, and vampires to blame, it also begins to look like the long-held peace between vampires and Watchmen is coming to an end.

Augustine must unlock her memories if she’s going to solve the riddle of her time in the grave and save the people she’s come to care for. She may just die trying. Again.

message 5: by Thomas (last edited Jun 06, 2013 10:05AM) (new)

Thomas Rydder (ThomasRydder) | 39 comments I would humbly (or not) nominate my debut thriller, "The Clearing":

Thomas Rydder

The Clearing by Thomas Rydder

After twenty years in the Marine Corps, Major Frank Cutlip comes home to the quiet hills of his beloved Pennsylvania to take up a new life as the sheriff of Allegheny County.

Professor Beth Lowe took up a post at Paxton University because she became enamored with western Pennsylvania’s charms, a more enduring love than she thought she would ever feel for a man.

When Beth’s dog is savaged by wolves, their peaceful lives are shattered, and their fates entwined. On the brink of death, the dog not only survives but grows larger… and more vicious. A thousand-year cycle of carnage is reaching its climax once more, and the peaceful wooded hills will soon be smeared with blood.

Sheriff Cutlip leads his community in a hunt for the hidden terror, but then his own brother is bitten, his blood corrupted by the ancient evil. The sheriff must confront terrible choices, and he can’t do so alone

The Clearing — a novel of ordinary people thrown together in extraordinary circumstances.

message 6: by Samuel (new)

Samuel | 41 comments I'll take the liberty of nominating my latest horror story, "Red Dahlia."
Red Dahlia by Ross Simon
Ross S. Simon

When he retires from the First World War to a colonial Indian life of peace, Commodore Clifford Selickton RN is unaware of the blood about to be spilled through that which he unleashes. Selickton takes a beautiful young priestess, Virhynda, for a wife, and they bear a darling little child…a child who, horrifyingly, is prophesized to become the very incarnation of the dread Kali-Ma, East Indian goddess of blood sacrifice. The mind-bending examples they witness of random people receiving their doom are, in fact, only preludes to the hideous, demonic goal of the Blood-Mother: conquest of the earth, to cover it in a maelstrom of hellish flame and mangled flesh that will consume all mankind. Worst of all, Kali aims to achieve this by striking at the very heart of the civilized world…and it might take a miracle from the Hindu gods themselves to stop her once and for all.

message 7: by P.J. (last edited Jun 07, 2013 03:12AM) (new)

P.J. Cadavori (pjcadavori) Catacombs of the Damned by P.J. Cadavori
Catacombs of the Damned by P.J. Cadavori

Catacombs of the Damned is a sexy, shocking, supernatural horror story for adults.

Synopsis:

Selling their London home and buying a decaying rural pile in the wilds of the English countryside seems to Bill and Alison Cavendish the perfect way to swap the stresses and strains of the city for a peaceful new life in the country, with the added bonus of cash in the bank. Unfortunately the manor house which captures their interest in the picturesque village of Little Daunting has problems far older, deeper and nastier than rats and dry rot. The cellars conceal a terrible, shocking secret; one which dates all the way back to the witch hunts of the 17th century and to those who would steal living bodies in the quest for eternal life.

As Bill and Alison soon discover, at least one of the villagers knows far more than he is admitting about the gruesome events that have been taking place in the ancient, walled-off catacombs, which lie concealed under the neighboring churchyard. When Bill and Alison and their new gypsy allies investigate, they find themselves lifting the lid on unimaginable horror...

message 8: by Jason (last edited Jun 07, 2013 09:38AM) (new)

Jason Parent | 20 comments I would also like to nominate my novel, What Hides Within:

What Hides Within by Jason Parent
What Hides Within by Jason Parent

Inside all of us, there is darkness. Inside Clive, it's tangible, and it's aching to get out.

What Hides Within tells the story of a man held captive by an unknown evil. Clive Menard is a spineless slacker leading an ordinary existence. But when Chester enters his life, it becomes far from ordinary.

A disheveled Clive stands alone in a hospital waiting room. A series of incidences have led him to undergo unnecessary neurosurgery. A voice inside Clive’s head nags him to kill the doctor.

Weeks prior, a murder investigation and an unrelated kayaking excursion set the story’s interlocking events in motion. When a remorseful killer, a bomb-happy psychopath and a mysterious widow spider converge upon Clive, they bring with them destruction and death. Clive must discover who or what is steering his very existence before he, too, is consumed by the carnage around him.

message 9: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Gibson | 9 comments Hateful Burden (Carrier Trilogy) by Natalie Gibson by Natalie Gibson Hateful Burden (Carrier Trilogy) by Natalie Gibson

Hateful Burden is a gaslight-era paranormal horror novel as well as a psychological thriller where friends and foes are not always what they seem. In this dark urban fantasy, paranormal powers are bred and collected.

Lady Ramillia Winmoore, daughter of the Earl of Brooksberry, has suffered from gaps in her memory her entire life. But this darkness is a blessing. Whenever she feels threatened, it takes over and protects her from feeling pain or even the slightest bit of discomfort. That is until the day she awakens strapped to an examining table at the West Freeman Asylum for Lunatics.

Imprisoned for the gruesome murder of her parents, Ramillia learns she has lost ten months to the darkness. Forced to endure years of torturous treatments in a grimy, hidden cell, salvation arrives in the form of a benefactor named Sir Julian Lawrence. Betrothed to her through an arranged marriage, he helps her gain freedom.

But appearances are deceiving and soon Ramillia learns the cost she must pay. The horrors she encounters in his household are far worse than the asylum when he inducts her into a society of blood-thirsty, cruel immortals. Soon she is forced to join them and accept their way of life.

Now Ramillia must break free of a prison she cannot see, kill an enemy that cannot die, and find a daughter that she cannot remember—all with the help of an ally she does not know. Who is Sally and can she be trusted? Is this mysterious and frightening woman trying to save her or is she planning on saving Ramillia for herself?

message 10: by Michael (last edited Jun 10, 2013 06:42PM) (new)

Michael Quarles | 3 comments The Dead and the Lost by Michael F. Quarles
The Dead and the Lost by Michael F. Quarles

If the Dead Return, Will They Come for You?
Tormented by grief, Tamara Bennett believes her husband has returned from the dead. Her fears are confirmed by a nightmarish discovery. Sam Bennett’s death covers a secret, a secret that has unleashed a demonic force that could destroy both her life, and the lives of her children.
Coming to her aid is Carrie, a mountain woman with strange powers, who knows the only way such evil can be vanquished. She is not a witch, nor a priestess, yet in her hands are the keys to Life, Death, and the Lost Dead.

message 11: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Martin (cemartin2) | 35 comments Shades of War (Stone Soldiers #4) by C.E. Martin

Shades of War by C.E. Martin (www.StoneSoldiers.info)

When a spectral army marches on Washington, America sends their most elite fighting force to defend the living from the dead: the Stone Soldiers. Turned to living stone and aided by psychics, a Vampire MD, a girl with cryokinetic powers and a man kept alive by multiple curses, the Stone Soldiers must discover who is raising the spirits of the dead from historic battlefields.

message 12: by Dina (new)

Dina Rae (dinarae) | 20 comments I would like to nominate Halo of the Nephilim by Dina Rae.Halo of the Nephilim

message 13: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Jayne M'lords.
M'ladies.
And everyone else NOT sitting on a pillow!

As an unrepentant tooter of personal horn, I'd like to nominate my New Adult Urban Fantasy, Uprising.

Cover:
Uprising (Fires of Providence, #1) by Dawn Jayne

Author info and pretentious black-and-white photo:
Dawn Jayne

The synopsis that took me a solid month to write and still kinda sucks:

Heralds are the most powerful of all angels, secretive and feared, created for a single purpose. Only those most courageous and worthy earn a place within the elite choir, and only by breaking ancient oaths held sacred can the honor be stripped.

It's a punishment that hasn't been imposed in over two-thousand years, until a single reckless act sets off a firestorm, threatening to consume all creation.

Rise Hawke never suspected she'd been marked to play a role in the deadly events unfolding in the spiritual realm. Independent and resistant to authority, she isn't thrilled when she meets Dominik, an angel with new wings, an old grudge, and a mysterious agenda he's determined to impose.

Vowing to uncover the secrets kept from her, Rise soon learns that knowing what you are isn't nearly as dangerous as discovering why.

Hunted by those who want to destroy her, and controlled by those who would see her fulfill her purpose, she is forced into a brutal battle set in motion long before she was ever born.

It soon becomes clear that what one angel will risk to earn the title of Herald, is matched only by what another will do to keep it.

(Exiting stage right)

message 14: by Caedy , Psycho Bunny Bibliophile (new)

Posted on behalf of Paul J. Kenyon

Hi everyone, I'd like to nominate my newest and most disturbing novel, Heart of Darkness for July's BOTM horror genre. Thanks so much!

Heart of Darkness by Paul J. Kenyon
Heart of Darkness by Paul J. Kenyon

Sam Seeley was the product of a broken home. At the tender age of 11, Sam brutally murdered a man to protect a friend, Alexis, but it didn’t stop there. That first kill of Al Carson, gave Sam something no one prior offered; love, but it was a different kind of love, the love to kill. Knowing only the atmosphere of a dysfunctional family, Sam left home at the age of 16 living from hotel to hotel; earning money any way possible. The torturous murders continued and no evidence collected implicated Sam until the man with a package. During the investigation of a murder where Sam was seen fleeing the area, the man made a statement he didn't see the perpetrator's face. When Sam spoke with the man, it was made clear he had lied. This was confusing to Sam and the man with the package would be the next victim; or was he? A twisted serial killer was on the verge of learning news that changed everything.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 11 comments Joe by H.D. Gordon
Joe by H.D. Gordon

From the author of the Alexa Montgomery Saga, comes a book that will take you into the mind of a genuine psychopath, the lives of six ordinary people, and the world of a very special girl named Joe.

Joe is seemingly an ordinary college student. She works, studies and reads. But in between these activities Joe has a gift that promises to add a dose of color to her life at any given moment. Joe sees things before they happen. Bad things, and the worst thing she has ever faced is just around the corner. Someone is planning a massacre at the college university that Joe attends, and the only person with a hope of stopping the psychopath is her.

Oh, the beauty of foresight. More like a curse. Joe has four days to figure out the mystery, make plans to take down the psycho, and save the lives of people. People like you and me. Ordinary people.

message 16: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Lever (KBLever) | 4 comments Manipulating the List (Immortal Companion, #1) by K.B. Lever

Manipulating the List by K.B. Lever

"He showed me the list. There, in bright red letters, was my name...Katherine Elizabeth Sheppard."

At age six, Katherine Sheppard meets the person who will become her best friend - a friend she chooses to call the Collector. Their friendship will flourish for 16 years until the day comes when that friendship transforms into a game of manipulation and survival at any cost.

As she desperately tries to keep from losing her own life, she must now assist in the deaths of others. She cleverly stays one step ahead of the law, but soon discovers that she must also stay one heart-pounding step ahead of the Collector to keep her name from becoming first on his list.

message 17: by Missy (last edited Jun 20, 2013 02:37PM) (new)

Missy img src="http://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/1..." width="40" height="100" alt="description"

message 18: by Missy (new)

Missy Darwin The Life of a Tormented Evolutionist by Adrian Desmond
The Evolutionist by Rena Mason

At night, down-to-earth Las Vegas socialite, Stacy Troy, dreams that everyone is dead. Nosebleeds and head-splitting alarms only she can hear become a regular occurrence. In her nightmares, Stacy dismembers bodies, stuffs them into a shopping cart, then takes them two at a time to the pile where she will burn them and say her last goodbyes..

message 19: by Missy (new)

Missy i need help posting...

this is not the book i want to nominate :(

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...

this one is!!

message 20: by Missy (new)

Missy Once I figure this out I will nominate a big press book.
Sorry everyone.

message 21: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) | 23 comments I think this is the book Missy is trying to nominate The Evolutionist by Rena Mason . Missy what I found worked was to search on the authors name, click on books, made sure book cover was selected, clicked add book. Many times its easier with indies or titles that have many similar books to use authors name 1st... This will not work if you are trying to post a Stephen King book as he has written too many books. Hope this helps.

At night, down-to-earth Las Vegas socialite, Stacy Troy, dreams that everyone is dead. Nosebleeds and head-splitting alarms only she can hear become a regular occurrence. In her nightmares, Stacy dismembers bodies, stuffs them into a shopping cart, then takes them two at a time to the pile where she will burn them and say her last goodbyes.

Waking nightly to her own screams, Stacy is convinced she’s on the brink of a mid-life crisis and begins secretly seeing a psychiatrist. But as eerie as Dr. Light may be, his treatments work and her circumstances improve. Until the nightmares return with a vengeance taking on a life of their own. Still uncertain what to believe, Stacy carries on living the only life she remembers. But her other, nocturnal world refuses to die. The images it shows her hold clues that lead her to a shocking discovery, threatening to unravel the last thread of her sanity and Stacy must make a heartrending decision…

Before her post-apocalyptic nightmares come true.(less)

message 22: by Missy (new)

Missy YES!!! This is the book!! I met the author at the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books and the book intrigued me but I couldn't buy it because I ran out of money...

Thank you so much Tasha!

message 23: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) | 23 comments Missy wrote: "YES!!! This is the book!! I met the author at the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books and the book intrigued me but I couldn't buy it because I ran out of money...

Thank you so much Tasha!"

Your welcome. It took me a while to figure the book/author stuff out. Drove me crazy. Still does some days.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.