Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Etcetera > Anyone out there??

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1112 comments Is everyone on vacation? No one seems to be posting anything. I just started Silken Prey this morning, it's good to visit Lucas again.

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2608 comments It seems that there's usually a drought after the monthly reads postings.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1584 comments I'm here :) I just finished 10th Anniversary by James Patterson. I'm trying to catch up on some of my series...but it will never happen.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3581 comments I'm here! Working too much and not getting enough reading done.......and all these good books are showing up on my doorstep!

message 5: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3531 comments i'm here. got done with work for the summer last week and have been just hanging out. got to spend last night and today at book signings with my old friend, barbara on her book tour for the paperback release of her book The Art Forger and that was fun. this weekend it's end of year activities for my students, including graduation. just waiting for the weather to warm up so i can get to the beach! i have a stack of books ready to read, including alafair burke's new one.If You Were Here

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14106 comments I'm here too! Like Melodie, too much work and not enough reading time except for my current audio book - which I am thoroughly enjoying: NOS4A2!
New books keep arriving and piling up, I have ten books out from the library and another on Kindle loan, the pace I am reading means I will get to probably one of them. Three are audio books I can save for later, so that helps.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments I'm here in not so sunny Florida. I just started reading NOS4a2.

message 8: by Seeley (new)

Seeley James (seeleyjames) Merrilee in AZ wrote: "Is everyone on vacation? No one seems to be posting anything. I just started Silken Prey this morning, it's good to visit Lucas again."

I'm not here.

I just started Silken Prey yesterday as well. And I'm in AZ. Cue the Twilight Zone theme... Great book so far. I stayed up late and fell asleep with it on my chest, rolled over and dumped it on the floor. Now I have to figure out where I was :)

Peace, Seeley

message 9: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Merrilee in AZ wrote: "Is everyone on vacation? No one seems to be posting anything. I just started Silken Prey this morning, it's good to visit Lucas again."

Lorraine's here, busy reading Joe Hill's latest. Will be taking off near end of month on a roadtrip.

message 10: by BurgendyA (new)

BurgendyA | 55 comments Nope!...Sadly not on vaction but luckily my books take to places.

message 11: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2923 comments Work, work, work, but my hours are much more reasonable now.

message 12: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I am here too, but got caught up on my Mad Men fix on Netflix. For the past month or so I have been watching this series and not reading much. Now that I am done with season 5, I should be back to reading. I am spending the morning sorting through the books on my TBR list, and sadly not many are mystery/thriller. I have been enjoying a lot of southern fiction from Charles Martin, Beth Hoffman, Patti Callahan Henry, and some sappy romance stuff as well. I have A Bitter Feast to read, but probably could use a good recommendation or 2 for a good series.

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14106 comments Since I just recorded my first book finished in June, my pace this month is definitely off. I have hardly cracked any of the library print books in the pile so hope to slide one to the top this weekend that will grab me in. (otherwise I will take them all back unread which I hate to have to do)

message 14: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3581 comments Almost done with #3 and part way into #4. Hope to have both finished by Tuesday so I can start Joyland by Stephen King Joyland and a new cozy from one of my favorite series.

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14106 comments Joyland is in my pile too, Melodie. It is sitting at my elbow chirping at me to pick it up! I need to wait until I finish son Joe's book!

message 16: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Sherry wrote: "got to spend last night and today at book signings with my old friend, barbara on her book tour for the paperback release of her book The Art Forger "

Another blast from the past. . . When no one is posting I delve into the 10 or so years of posts I missed while on sabbatical from the board.

Sherry, I didn’t know you knew Barbara Shapiro. I liked The Art Forger, Blameless, not so much. I’ve meant to go back to some of Shapiro’s art-themed books but had forgotten her name! Then, surprise! your 2013 post popped up!

message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14106 comments Jan O’NostalgicCat
I was sad that Barbara (BA) Shapiro had to cancel attending the Southern Festival of Books event in 2018. I seem recall that I really liked The Art Forger and was looking forward to seeing her.

message 18: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ann wrote: "Jan O’NostalgicCat
I was sad that Barbara (BA) Shapiro had to cancel attending the Southern Festival of Books event in 2018. I seem recall that I really liked The Art Forger and was looking forward to seeing her."

Ann, I really liked the details of how art forgers do their work. One of my favorite things about reading is the entry into a world I know nothing about. She was also very descriptive about the Isabelle Gardiner Museum and it’s famous unsolved robbery almost 30 years ago. All that and a mystery too!

I’ve thought about The Art Forger often, but had completely forgotten the title (really obvious now that I know it again) and Shapiro’s name. I’m so delighted to have come upon it again. Sheer serendipity!

message 19: by Ann (last edited Nov 17, 2018 08:46PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14106 comments Jan: Have you read BA Shapiro’s book The Muralist? That one has stuck with me for years. I also like immersing into a world or a topic I know little or nothing about.

OMalleycat wrote: "I really liked the details of how art forgers do their work. One of my favorite things about reading is the entry into a world I know nothing about. ..."

message 20: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ann wrote: "Jan: Have you read BA Shapiro’s book The Muralist? That one has stuck with me for years. I also like immersing into a world or a topic I know little or nothing about."

Ann, I went over to Amazon to check prices for The Muralist and the site helpfully informed me that I’ve already purchased it. I love that feature of Amazon! Now, because I got an actual paper and ink edition, I only need to find it. . . sigh.

While I was looking I saw Shapiro has a new art-related book set in the 1922 Paris art world, The Collector’s Apprentice. Love the cover.

message 21: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3531 comments Ann wrote: "Jan O’NostalgicCat
I was sad that Barbara (BA) Shapiro had to cancel attending the Southern Festival of Books event in 2018. I seem recall that I really liked The Art Forger and was looking forward..."

i'll be hosting her for an event at the end of the month and can't wait! unfortunately, her father died and she cancelled all of her october events (and then some). i think the one she's doing with us is one of her first when she's back on tour.

message 22: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3531 comments OMalleycat wrote: "Sherry wrote: "got to spend last night and today at book signings with my old friend, barbara on her book tour for the paperback release of her book The Art Forger "

Another blast from the past. ...."

i do! we grew up together and i've know her my whole life. her older books, i agree. not so much, but i've really liked her recent, art themed books. i especially enjoyed her latest, the collector's apprentice.

message 23: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Sherry wrote: "i've really liked her recent, art themed books. i especially enjoyed her latest, the collector's apprentice"

Sherry, how fun that you get to host an event for B. A. Shapiro. I’m glad you liked The Collector’s Apprentice since I’ve ordered it.

message 24: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3531 comments OMalleycat wrote: "Sherry wrote: "i've really liked her recent, art themed books. i especially enjoyed her latest, the collector's apprentice"

Sherry, how fun that you get to host an event for B. A. Shapiro and 15 other books. he also wrote the book that the tv show 8 simple rules was based on. he was quite entertaining. a really good event.