An Advanced Victorian Steampunk Roleplay discussion

Characters' Havens > Joeri & Samuel's Bunker

Comments Showing 1-50 of 275 (275 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments Please post an image of what your haven looks like.

message 2: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Joeri's room at the inn is a pathetic one. Despite being middle class, he does not gain it's privileges since at the inn military men are scorned. It is situated practically in a closet. But it is better than what he experiences at the military bases.
http://www.decorandooquarto.com/wp-co...

At the military bases, there practically is no such thing as privacy. His bed is the furthest on the right.
http://www.northvsouth.com/images/Bun...

message 3: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Joeri swiftly changed and gathered up the borrowed clothes. He felt jumpy in his excitement, but he managed to remain calm. He wondered where they would ride to and if he needed to bring anything. Making sure his jacket was neat and tidy, he left out the door. Last minute, he popped back in to grab his hat, and then he headed off to Geoffrey's mansion.

*END OF SCENE*

message 4: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He opened the door and walked slowly over to his bed, collapsing onto the edge with a sigh. Then Joeri leaned until he fell with his back on his bed. After riding back to Geoffrey's mansion, he gave his thanks to Vivian, told her to share it with Geoffrey, and kissed her on her cheek. He wasn't sure if he made the right choice and he didn't want to embarrass her.

His gaze drifted up to the ceiling and he traced random designs with his eyes. Joeri thought over the many times his comrades snuck out and returned smelling of perfume, sometimes even with lipstick marks on their faces. It had disgusted him to see such dishonorable behavior and he remembered as he was raised that his father treated his mother with the utmost respect and love. He believed and was taught to cherish the fairer sex.

Sighing, Joeri ran a hand through his hair. Did he act without honor? Was he really cherishing Vivian as he should? But that fiery desire almost burst out, and he didn't even know what it was. That lack of control made him fearful, something he wasn't used to and something he didn't even know could exist. Closing his eyes, he wondered if he could make Vivian understand that it wasn't her fault but his. It wasn't that he didn't want her. It was that he wanted her too much.

He opened his eyes and realized how dark it was. With all his thoughts, Joeri didn't realize how much time had passed. He sighed, knowing that in combination with staying up so late, the dreams would come as usual. Slowly, he rose with and changed into his sleeping garments, then slipped under his covers. Perhaps, just once, this time he could sleep well and be able to tell Vivian everything.

message 5: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments ***END OF SCENE***

message 6: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments After the briefing, Joeri had a dinner and then it was time for lights out. He didn't talk to the other young men sharing his room and ignored their stares as he dressed out of his uniform and into sleeping clothes. Everywhere he went, all the soldiers were still surprised to see his metal arm and array of scars. But he didn't mind. It gave him a good story to tell as he got to know his comrades. Unpacking his suitcase, Joeri's fingers brushed something along, making a crisp noise of paper. Pulling it out, he saw it was a letter from Vivian and opened it.

message 7: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Dearest, darling, love of my life,

It's before dawn on the morning of the day you're back on duty, and when I woke up a few minutes ago and looked at your face I realised just how much I love you. I always think I know exactly how much I love you, then something happens that makes me realise I love you more than I originally thought.

Does that make sense? Isn't it strange how one's heart can work so quickly when it meets its other half? For isn't that what lovers are - two halves of the same heart and soul? I know I feel that way about you, especially now.

You walked into my life at the precise moment when I needed somebody to give me the courage to change and be better. I was starting over, trying to redefine who I was, questioning everything that I had been - right up until the moment I met you. I can't explain it. I don't think there are words for what I felt when you stood up and spoke to me for the first time. And I never thought that something as simple as sharing a table and meal and conversation with somebody at the Inn would have brought me to the rest of my life.

I didn't know it when I met you but now I see that if you hadn't become a part of my life when you did, I would have been so lost by now. But you found me - you found me and saved me from whatever road I was about to go down.

Please don't ever leave me. Please don't ever give up on me. I know…I know have a lot of work to do, and a lot to learn, but I do know that I love you and I'm willing to do whatever I have to do so that we can be together always. I knew you were different and special from the moment we first met, and everything that's happened since then has only made me see that I could never, ever love anyone the way I love you, and will continue to love you.

I've never wanted anything more in my entire life than to be with you always. I hope one day that will be made true. But until everything is sorted out and cleared, I am perfectly content to wait for you, and just be your everlastingly devoted, loving Vivian. It doesn't matter how long it takes, or where they send you. If I cannot follow, I will wait - as long as it takes for us to be truly free and able to do everything we could dream of together.

If I am being too bold, or if I am mistaken in how I have read you, then please don't worry - let me know, and I will refrain from uttering such professions in the future. But if I am not mistaken, then please do not tell me anything. Just continue to be who you are for me. You are all I could ever want.

Everything, and more.

Yours ever,
Heart and soul and with every fibre of my being,
From now until forever and a day,
Vivian

message 8: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He sat down, staring at the letter in his hand. Rereading it, Joeri felt a warm glow mixing with longing. Leaving Vivian was hard enough, but now that he knew for sure that they were on the same page, Joeri wanted to run back to her and tell her he had a way they could be together, that she wasn't mistaken. Sighing, he laid back on his bed, then he noticed a folded piece of lace that must have fallen onto his pillow as he read the letter. He picked it up and unfolded it. Wrapped in the lace was a small curl of Vivian's red gold hair. Joeri smiled, reminded of the green ribbon she tied around his wrist as a token.

message 9: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Taking the lace, he folded it carefully and then placed it in the breast pocket of his uniform. I'll have a reminder of you every day near my heart, Vivian, Joeri thought as he slipped under the sheets and went to sleep.

*END OF SCENE*

message 10: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Dear Thomas,

I received your letter, and would first and foremost thank you for considering that I might have something to say in the matter.

As I told you before, so long as Vivian is happy with you and so long as you do by her what is right and honourable, I have no complaint and no grudge to bear. You have given me no reason to doubt your intentions towards her, and I am glad to give you my blessing.

Unfortunately, I cannot return home for some time yet, so please allow me to request that you save the impending nuptials for a time that I can be home long enough to enjoy a few last weeks with her before giving her over to you. Though really, that last part is more of a formality than anything else, for clearly she has already devoted herself to you. And of course, I can do nothing to change it, and would not want to at any rate.

I look forward to hearing from you both in the near future.

Best regards,
And sincerest congratulations,
Geoffrey T. L. Northby

***END OF SCENE***

message 11: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments After a day of drills and getting back into his top shape, Joeri sat on his bed in exhaustion. He took the letter he found waiting for him and opened it. His eyes ran across the paper, going faster as he felt a growing excitement. It was all he could do to prevent himself from jumping up and giving a shout. Silently, he sent his thanks to Geoffrey and made a note to send a reply later.

message 12: by Raina-J. (last edited Jul 07, 2013 06:17PM) (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments A lower-ranking officer knocked at the door.

"Message marked 'urgent' for you, Lance-Corporal," he said when Joeri looked up.

message 13: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He stood up and gave a salute to the man, then held out his hand for the message. "Who is it from?" Joeri asked.

message 14: by Raina-J. (last edited Jul 07, 2013 06:10PM) (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "Lord B. G. Kaylock," he replied, handing it over.

Dear Thomas,

I have arranged a special meeting with you at the Barracks in two days' time at one o'clock. It's all taken care of - just show up.

Yours truly,
Bertrand Kaylock

message 15: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments As Joeri looked over message, he wondered if 'all taken care of' meant what he thought it meant. He looked up at the officer and gave him a nod of his head. "Thank you. You may be dismissed," he said, giving another salute before turning his back and going back to bed.

((End scene?))

message 16: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments *END OF SCENE*

message 17: by Raina-J. (last edited Jul 07, 2013 10:21PM) (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Just two days after Bertrand had visited Joeri, a rather enormous package was delivered to Thomas Walker, with the following note attached.

Dearest Lance-Corporal of Mine,

I have been informed that you would only accept care packages from home if there was enough to go around.

Bridget and I enlisted some of Geoffrey's kitchen staff to help us, and we have made enough for every man in your regiment to have two - one each of strawberry and apple, for we've made each kind. You may tell them that if they wish, your comrades might trade amongst themselves.

You have your army in the barracks, I have mine in the kitchen. Please enjoy them, and don't miss me too much when you have yours.

Yours ever,
Vivian

message 18: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Smiling in amusement, Joeri revealed the contents of the package to the rest of the men who were waiting in anticipation. When they saw the pastries, they gave a cheer and immediately set about to equally divvy up the pastries amongst themselves. There were many young and inexperienced men at the barracks who already thought of him differently. Now, not only was Joeri admired for his battle scars and status with the legendary Kaylock family, but he even had a lady friend who baked for him. As he ate his apple pastry, saving the best for last, Joeri received some slaps on the back in appreciation. He ate quickly as he prepared for the day's activities, thinking how glad he was reassigned for a change.

*END OF SCENE*

message 19: by Raina-J. (last edited Jul 10, 2013 07:40AM) (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments A letter attached to a small, hard package had arrived for Joeri.

Hallo mein Lieblingsschmusebärchen,

You asked me in your last letter what I've been up to while you're away. Well, I found a job working as a groom at one of the city stables. Do you remember Liam, Geoffrey's head groom? His father owns the establishment and I landed the job after helping catch and calm a runaway horse. The work is hard but I am enjoying myself immensely, and I think I'm beginning to settle in well. It's early days yet, of course, but nobody bothers me.

Mr McCann - my new employer - also gave me a darling little bullmastiff puppy...so yes, I have found that dog I mentioned to you. I found him in the reading room the morning after I brought him home, and somehow he had managed to get into the bookshelves and eat one of my Shakespeare volumes. So after a proper chastising and mourning the loss of Cymbeline - briefly, as I've never really enjoyed that one as much as the rest - I decided to call him Shakespeare.

Speaking of our friend William, I noticed that you left most of yours here. I've put them away carefully, but please accept my book of sonnets for your leisure time. I've actually been reading more of Frankenstein in the evenings with Shakespeare's head on my foot as I do, and I've also re-acquainted myself with some other authors as well. It's the perfect way to pass the evenings at home.

Bridget has been experimenting with a chocolate confection known as a "brownie" - it's like a very moist chocolate cake, from what I can gather so far - and would like to know if you and your comrades would like to try it once she's perfected the recipe.

Being out in this July sun all the time must be giving you a rather bronzed glow! I fear I shall hardly recognise you; Bert said you are looking all trim and tanned now, and seem to be in very good spirits indeed. Are you, darling? In good spirits, I mean. I hope so.

How is Samuel? He was very kind to me when we met. Please send him my regards.

I miss you dearly, but love you more. Please write soon and tell me everything you've been getting up to. I want to know what your days are like, so as I'm going about mine I may think of what you're doing at the moment.

All my love,
Vivian

PS: Since I don't know Dutch - yet - I had to resort to German. "Lieblingsschmusebärchen" is a little more embarrassing than "schaatje," I'm afraid...it means "my favourite little cuddly bear." I'm sorry - you are by no means little or bearish - I'll find a better one soon!

V.

***END OF SCENE***

message 20: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments In his free time just before lunch, Joeri sat down on his bed as he wrote one of the small notes he and Vivian passed back and forth in addition to their longer letters. He signed his name with a small flourish, then read over what he wrote just in case.

message 21: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "What's this, then," Samuel crowed, coming out of nowhere behind Thomas and making a grab for the paper.

message 22: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments In his surprise, his grip on the paper was released and the paper was in Samuel's hands. He rose to his feet, his arm raised in a halfhearted attempt to take it back. "Wait," he barely managed to choke out, then he saw his friend's eyes go back and forth as he read the note.

message 23: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "You kids are adorable," Samuel teased good-naturedly, his eyes gleaming. "Sonnet 18, hmm? You ought to start writing your own po..." His voice trailed off as he came to the end of the letter.

What?

message 24: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments His arm fell to his side and he looked away, knowing exactly why he stopped. "I'm sorry, Sam," Joeri said slowly in clipped words, not knowing what else to say.

message 25: by Raina-J. (last edited Jul 13, 2013 05:56PM) (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "Unless you're courting two girls named Vivian who both have a great love for Shakespeare," Sam said quietly, handing the paper back, "won't she notice that...that...you've signed the wrong name?"

Samuel knew better though. He was just denying it with ill humour.

message 26: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He took it silently and folded it carefully, placing it in his pocket. Joeri couldn't even begin to think of how to explain everything to his friend without sounding more of a complete fraud than he already was. He finally looked up to face Samuel. "She knows the truth already," he told Samuel in his serious and quiet manner.

message 27: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Samuel pinched the bridge of his nose, squeezing his eyes shut momentarily.

"How...what...Jesus, Walker," Samuel swore after a moment. "So what, you're just...somebody entirely different on leave? And what do you mean, 'she knows the truth already'? How can that be the...the truth? You're Thomas Walker, not..." His voice trailed off.

message 28: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "Joeri Roberts. My real name is Joeri Roberts from the time I was born and until I was in that explosion," he cut in. Feeling as if it was inevitable for every truth to spill out, Joeri thought it best to get it over with. First his family and now one of his only true friends.

message 29: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "So why are you now Thomas Walker?" Sam asked quietly.

message 30: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "My identity was mistaken when I was lying wounded. I wasn't conscious enough to tell them my name so they assumed I was Thomas Walker who laid in that bed before me and was gone. While laying in the hospital, my name 'Joeri Roberts' was put under the deserters list," Joeri explained.

message 31: by Raina-J. (last edited Jul 13, 2013 05:57PM) (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Sam stared.

"Then why the hell are you telling me here?" he hissed. "God, man, if you're found out...oh, fuck." His friend's propriety be damned. Now was not the time to pussyfoot with words.

"And you've never tried to rectify it?" he asked. "Never? Why...why wouldn't you...and why would you tell her and not..." He sat down on the edge of his bed, his head in his hands. ...and not me?

message 32: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He stood there and gave a shrug. "I haven't because I didn't know how. Plus my father disowned me when I tried to return home and tell him the truth, so no one was there to help me," Joeri said in a low voice to be more discreet. "But I have people working on a case for me now, so I'm sure everything will work out now."

message 33: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Sam clasped his hands, tent-shaped, in front of his face. He didn't know where to begin sorting out how he felt. "But without your father to vouch for you and without...the other party involved," he began, "how can that work?" He shook his head. "This is insane. God help us. You do realise that if this gets out, she's going to be put before a tribunal too?" he added, more harshly than he'd intended. "She's an accessory to a military crime."

message 34: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments There was pain in Joeri's eyes at the thought of Vivian being on trial and he ran a hand through his hair as he thought about it. "I-I... She has people who can save her, if need be," he said softly, a look of defeat falling into his limbs. "If I admit myself to the tribunal before all of that happens, she would be more safe."

message 35: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "And who exactly is she related to that's powerful enough to save her?" Samuel wanted to know. "This is treason you're talking about."

message 36: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "Well, she was a Kaylock," he began, hoping the name would sound familiar to Samuel. "Her brothers, Bertrand and Benedict Kaylock, are working on a way to help me. Their family is powerful, so if worse comes to worse, they can save Vivian."

message 37: by Raina-J. (last edited Jul 10, 2013 10:20AM) (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "...Kaylock?"

Sam looked up at him. "Kaylock?" he repeated. "As in Timothy Kaylock of the Dragoons? The man who helped win Waterloo?" He hardly dared to hope if it was the same family...

message 38: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Joeri nodded, surprised at his reaction. "Yes, the one and the same," he answered, wondering what was importance of the name.

message 39: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Sam leaped to his feet and clasped his friend's upper arms. "Speak of this to no one," he commanded, squeezing for emphasis. "Not until I have word."

He didn't care if he sounded mysterious. "Trust me, please," he begged his friend. "Just...just trust me."

message 40: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Slowly, Joeri nodded, glad that Samuel didn't react with hatred. It always was his fear to see someone he trusted so well to cut him off and upon seeing Samuel's reaction of worry more than hate, he felt comforted. "As I have over the years, I won't tell anyone. And I fully place my trust on you, Sam," he said.

message 41: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Sam nodded. "You have my silence," he vowed.

***END OF SCENE***

message 42: by Raina-J. (last edited Jul 10, 2013 01:17PM) (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Vivian had sent another letter for Joeri, this time with another giant box from which wafted the enticing smell of chocolate.

Mein Knuddelbärli,

I'm sure Shakespeare will love to meet you, too. He formed an immediate bond with Ben the other day and kept pestering Ben to play fetch. He's such a roly-poly thing - it's a wonder he can run at all. (Shakespeare, I mean. Ben is as trim and fit as one of his polo horses.)

I usually wake up at six or half-past six, depending on when Shakespeare decides he wants to play. When he finally decides he's had enough (usually only fifteen minutes) I get dressed, have breakfast, and leave for work by nine with Shakespeare. A normal day for me at the stables is mucking out stalls, filling troughs, grooming horses, cleaning tack and equipment, and the occasional exercising of some of the horses. I was also involved in the sale of a mare to a new customer who requested I give him lessons; I am the only groom at the moment with a student which is quite an honour I think! After I finish work at five, I head home and clean myself up, then have dinner with Bridget. If Shakespeare isn't too worn out we go to the park for a walk; otherwise I stay at home and read.

I get days off but they are never regular - it all depends on the schedules of the other grooms, though, as it seems that not all of them have the same luxury of every day free as I do. But I am enjoying myself quite a lot. I don't think you'd recognise me either, Liebelein - Bridget has to take in a few of my dresses because it seems I have started to trim down myself! I don't think I'm getting any colour to my skin, though I have a few more freckles across my nose.

I used to play chess quite a lot with Grandfather, but when he got too ill we stopped playing, and I read to him instead. Geoffrey and I played sometimes as well, though we'd always end up discussing books or art or somesuch, and end up forgetting the game at hand. I would love to start playing again though, so if you wish I will be on the lookout for a chess table that we can set up on the terrace.

Now, onto the tougher business - how on earth does he know?! Oh, please - do be careful and take care of yourself! I will say nothing more, but I pray everyone's efforts will work out.

Although Shakespeare's loving whines and slobbery nuzzles are an endearing way to wake up, I much prefer waking up with you holding me. I can hardly wait until you're home again so I can fall asleep in your arms and wake up in exactly the same manner.

I love you with all my heart.

Eternally your little Schaatje,
Vivian

PS: Bridget sends her regards and, yes - the brownies. Two pieces each, as before.

PPS: "Knuddelbäri" means the same thing as "Lieblingsschmusebärchen" more or less - though it is much easier (and shorter) to write.

PPPS: No matter what happens - Dass Liebe, die aus Trümmern auferstand,
Reicher als einst an Größe ist und Kraft!

***END OF SCENE***

message 43: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Joeri had just passed out the brownies, much to the delight of the men, and was eating the last crumbs as he began reading the sonnet book Vivian gave him.

message 44: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Samuel strolled in and some of the younger men and lower-ranking soldiers jumped to their feet immediately.

"At ease, as you were," Samuel said breezily. "Walker, a word?"

message 45: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He was on his feet as soon as he saw it was Samuel. Crossing the room in long strides, Joeri came up to him shortly. "Yes, Piper?" he asked.

message 46: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Samuel turned on his heel and walked outside into the hall. Ducking into a small empty room, he turned towards his friend.

"I don't want to get your hopes up," he said in a low voice, "but...I might have your lucky break."

message 47: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Joeri followed silently, making sure to click the door closed behind him. "What do you mean? What did you do?"

message 48: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "I went to see Lord Timothy Kaylock," Samuel said bluntly.

message 49: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He looked worried, knowing some of the Kaylocks were more than willing to let a nobody like him tread on his own. "Why?" Joeri asked in a whisper.

message 50: by Raina-J. (last edited Jul 13, 2013 05:59PM) (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "My grandfather - Mum's dad - fought with him at Waterloo," Samuel explained hurriedly. "He saved the Lord's life - in a spectacular way. They went on to serve together until Lord Timothy retired, after he was injured."

"His lordship bound himself to my grandfather in a life-debt. If he or any of his family ever needed anything, he would do what he could to help."

« previous 1 3 4 5 6