Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Policies & Practices > Report Abuse

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Just My Opinion (justmyopinionnh) | 9 comments Could someone please tell me if it's every allowed for someone to add a new cover to a book without the author's permission? I am an assistant to an author who was having a cover reveal TODAY and someone went on GoodReads last night, a librarian, and added her new cover last night. I specifically hadn't added it yesterday and NEVER asked anyone to do it as I can do it myself.

I didn't think unauthorized changes were allowed. I'd also like to know where this person GOT the cover from as we hadn't released it to anyone other than those signed up for the reveal.

How do I report this abuse and ensure it can't happen again??

Thanks so much!

message 2: by Deon (last edited Jun 06, 2013 11:24AM) (new)

Deon (deonva) | 3379 comments on a side issue:
some of your book changes have been reverted. Please re-read the section of the manual on alternate-cover editions.

We do not delete covers.
Please do not change the data on the existing GR entry. If there has been a change, a new record needs to be created. GR policy

Just My Opinion (justmyopinionnh) | 9 comments I am a librarian. I am an authors assistant. I was going to put up her new novel cover this morning per an agreement I had set up. We had set up a cover reveal for this novel today. One of those bloggers changed the cover of the novel on their own without being asked. This caused some serious issues and headaches for me as it wasn't supposed to be changed on GR until later. I have contacted the individual and apparently she has done this previously for other authors.

My questions are these: shouldn't someone be ASKED before they are allowed to make a change such as a cover image? And also, where can I report this to GR if it continues?

This is a novel that has NOT been released yet. It had a "fake" cover in place until I was ready to update it. This wasn't a swap out of covers and even then, I hadn't asked her to do it. Does this mean just anyone can change your covers on GR to whatever they want whenever they want?

message 4: by Deon (last edited Jun 06, 2013 07:48AM) (new)

Deon (deonva) | 3379 comments GR's policy is do not delete covers.

message 5: by Deon (new)

Deon (deonva) | 3379 comments if a librarian is deleting covers you should contact support
http://www.goodreads.com/about/contac...

message 6: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Just My Opinion wrote: "Could someone please tell me if it's every allowed for someone to add a new cover to a book without the author's permission?"

Correcting a book record and providing information about new publications is always allowed. It is, in fact, encouraged. Removing published information is not allowed, but updating a placeholder record to change from the pre-publication data to the final publication data is a very common task for librarians and it is done all of the time. Authors are usually not involved.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments Just My Opinion wrote: "I am a librarian. I am an authors assistant. I was going to put up her new novel cover this morning per an agreement I had set up. We had set up a cover reveal for this novel today. One of those..."

GR is not the place to have "big reveals." Sorry if it caused you a headache but it is NOT against TOS. Librarians do NOT need "permission" to load a correct cover to a forthcoming book.

Nothing you can do. Plus, it probably will happen again if there is going to be a huge "cover reveal."

message 8: by Roberta (last edited Jun 07, 2013 06:08PM) (new)

Roberta  | 83 comments I'd also like to know where this person GOT the cover from as we hadn't released it to anyone other than those signed up for the reveal.

I think you just answered your own question.

Just My Opinion (justmyopinionnh) | 9 comments Deon....I just added your librarian note, along with a bit of my own, to all of Shannon's books. While I thank you for adding the note, you reversed all of my changes which reversed all of the INCORRECT changes that had been made and I just spent two hours making the changes AGAIN. lol

The tough part is we're in the middle of a blog tour announcing all these new covers and descriptions and people keep changing it to the wrong stuff for no reason and the authors new fans are seeing incorrect information-but don't know it.

I've put a note on all of her books asking that no one but me make any changes to her books at all. Hopefully people will pay attention, otherwise I am reporting it as abuse as Deon suggested.

I understand everyone is saying a librarian is always free to change a book cover, but I'm having a hard time understanding why that would be allowed.

That means, any librarian can change an authors books to anything they want at ANY time for ANY reason. There must be SOME policing of these changes otherwise why would an author want to put their copyrighted book covers, descriptions, information and excerpts up here?

I'm beginning to understand why authors don't like GoodReads. Sorry, I'm frustrated and venting.

message 10: by Paula (last edited Jun 08, 2013 03:37PM) (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7026 comments GR has policies and standards that all librarians are expected to adhere to which includes formatting of series information and contents of the description field.

Your changes to use (book 2) are inconsistent with GR policy, Deons corrections are as GR policy

Librarians are within their rights to alter book records if they do not comply with policy

Edit: authors can add what they like to their author profiles within the GR terms and conditions but the book pages are not owned by the author and are subject to GR policies.

Edit 2: if a book is republished with a new cover then a new edition is created IT IS AGAINST policy to change covers on published books

Edit3: I have again reverted your inappropriate against GR policy cover changes as Deon suggests you need to re read the librarians manual and GR policy on changing covers of published books

message 11: by Just My Opinion (new)

Just My Opinion (justmyopinionnh) | 9 comments These books were NOT re-published. They just had new covers designed. Why can I not change the covers? They are ebooks.

message 12: by Just My Opinion (new)

Just My Opinion (justmyopinionnh) | 9 comments The ISBN numbers have NOT changed. According to GR policy, I create a new entry IF the number is altered.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) If I buy ANY kind of book - printed or ebook, I want the entry on my goodreads shelf to reflect the one I have at home. That means it has the same cover. Frankly, it pisses me off that authors want to control what my shelves look like. Alternate cover editions allow everyone to shelve the cover they paid for. Everybody wins.

Plus, it's GoodReads policy.

message 14: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7026 comments Irrelevant, people want to shelve and review the edition of the book they bought and read with the cover they bought, this is a book cataloging site, if a new cover comes out then add a new edition for people who buy in the future.

message 15: by ~Thena~ (new)

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 15 comments Just My Opinion wrote: "The ISBN numbers have NOT changed. According to GR policy, I create a new entry IF the number is altered."

You have to create an alternative cover edition if the book was ever published with a different cover, whether the ISBN changes or not. The primary edition can then be changed by the author to the edition with the new cover so it shows up in search results. The only time a cover is allowed to be changed is if the book was never published in the past. GR keeps all records of published books, in print or not, with current or old covers. It doesn't matter if they are paper or ebooks.

message 16: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 259 comments "Republished" is being confused with "new edition". JMO, a new edition should be created for an updated cover; I believe there's a way to set the edition with the "correct" (newer) cover as the default people see, but once it's published, people can buy it and they will have the old cover and will want the correct edition on their shelves. This is why GR doesn't allow changes to be made to covers on books already published.

message 17: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7026 comments Until GR Staff place a note on a book librarians will continue to change book details. I suggest you stop altering books until GR staff have responded if indeed you have contacted them, otherwise you risking your librarian status

message 18: by Just My Opinion (new)

Just My Opinion (justmyopinionnh) | 9 comments Paula....I am reporting you to GoodReads. I'm sorry and I don't want to do it, but I am changing these covers due to licensing issues and have legally notified GR these changes have been made. You have no right to continue to change them back. I will ask one final time that you stop reversing my changes. GR as been notified of these actions and have a history of what you're doing. If you don't want your privileges revoked, you should stop making changes to this authors books immediately.

message 19: by Just My Opinion (new)

Just My Opinion (justmyopinionnh) | 9 comments These are LEGALLY required changes and GoodReads has been LEGALLY notified.

message 20: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7026 comments And as I have previously stated until a GR member of staff documents such librarians will follow policy

message 21: by Just My Opinion (new)

Just My Opinion (justmyopinionnh) | 9 comments Duly noted. Expect to be notified by GR for your behavior against legally notifications.

message 22: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) | 122 comments You realize Paula is a Super-Librarian and has done nothing wrong according to GR policy, right? You're the one in violation.

..Time to grab some popcorn and see how this one plays out...

message 23: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7026 comments And If for some reason a cover cannot be used you should NOT be changing it to a new version it should be left blank but until GR determine if this is the case stop making changes

message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 838 comments if nothing else, it isn't making me too interested in reading the author in question...

message 25: by ~Thena~ (new)

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 15 comments Dee wrote: "if nothing else, it isn't making me too interested in reading the author in question..."

Me either. Especially since changes for legal reasons can only be made after receiving approval from GR and are then made by GR themselves.

message 26: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I'm so glad most of the authors I read are dead. Very little drama.

This is what turns readers against authors, JMO. Your author buddy is going to be on all sorts of "Author Behaving Badly" lists (and worse names, trust me).

message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 838 comments and in all honesty, from the first post - it wasn't really abuse...i mean, it was an event that was being held external to GR (the cover reveal). Someone part of said reveal posted the cover...ok - well, unless they were specifically told not to, no real recourse aside from making sure that they aren't part of special events for this author again...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6332 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I'm so glad most of the authors I read are dead. Very little drama."

Me too. And if this author had copyright issues with (stole) her original cover, how can I want to read what she wrote?

message 29: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 37 comments Dee wrote: "if nothing else, it isn't making me too interested in reading the author in question..."

Me either. A person acting on the author's behalf is representing the author themselves, and this one is being a very bad one. GR has a policy, unless GR staff makes a decision that is an exception to that policy, the librarians should make any and all changes that comply with GR policy.

Yelling, shouting, and making meaningless threats just makes the author and you look bad.

message 30: by Just My Opinion (new)

Just My Opinion (justmyopinionnh) | 9 comments You know what? You're all 100% correct. I apologize for my behavior and the way I spoke to Paula. I am very frustrated by that isn't your fault Paula. This has nothing to do with the author herself. She was sold something only to find out later that it wasn't licensed. She is trying to do the correct thing by spending thousands of dollars she already spent to obtain LEGAL covers.

I am sorry I was so heated and the drama was very unnecessary on my part. Having said that, I HAVE notified GoodReads and will take your advice and wait for their verdict on how best to handle this.

Paula, if I was wrong on any of what I've been told by other people, I apologize. I have been given so many different answers on how to handle this it's the most frustrating thing I've dealt with in a long time. What I was asking you to do, and not asking very professionally as I re-read it, was to just leave it alone until GR can address this with me properly.

If I have represented the author badly, that is my fault and not hers. I have worked for her and numerous other authors for years and have never had an issue like this. I let my frustration lead and I shouldn't have. So I hope you can all accept my apologies and I will await a response from GR and act accordingly. Thank you.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) You responded with class. Thanks for that. From what I've seen, once GR receives the legal paperwork showing that the covers violate copyright they'll sort it out pretty quick.

Cheers.

message 32: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) | 122 comments Though the apology was definitely a good move, the fact that you've placed librarian comments on every book by this author stating that you are the only one allowed to edit them and threatening to report anyone else who touches them is ridiculous. You still obviously don't understand how goodreads works and should probably read the librarian manual, as you've been urged to multiple times in this thread.

message 33: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 37 comments Sometimes what's needed is to walk away from the keyboard for awhile :)

The fact that you acknowledged the misstep with class is a step above how these things usually end up. If an exception to the rules needs to be made I am sure GR staff will make it when they return on Monday.

message 34: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Jun 09, 2013 11:09PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) And a note from a reader, versus librarian:

If it helps JMO, please keep in mind that no author has a book product page (like a bookseller site has) on goodreads, only a book data page (like a library has). Product pages update to be what is currently available for sale; goodreads book data pages keep a record of very edition of a book even if only change in an edition was a bookcover. Goodreads member shelve whatever edition they wish and even librarians are not supposed to alter a member's shelved bookcovers (very few loopholes in policy--like a better quality image of same cover can replace, thumbnail was broken so had to be re-uploaded, but basically nothing altering bookcover without staff exception).

I would be upset and not really interested in the legal issues if I had shelved one edition/cover (particularly if it was exactly the edition I owned or a book cover I was using in one of the goodreads groups book cover challenge games and the change disqualified me) and then someone changed my book catalogue to replace it with a newer bookcover.

Goodreads is where I catalogue books. Please don't mess with my personal catalogue just because, by choice or by legal issue, there's a new book cover. That's nothing to do with what I put on my goodreads shelves.

[ I get this image in my head of one of my printed edition authors sneaking into my house at night to steal a book I bought because they do not want me to have the old cover on my bookshelves every time I see complaints about not being allowed to delete/overwrite covers on goodreads.]

At he risk of being harsh, if JMO or anyone wants to be a goodreads librarian, they are supposed to know the librarian manual (aka goodreads policies and standards on book data and edits). Anything unclear, ask in this group before making the edits or reporting another librarian for "abuse." And, yes, any goodreads member (I think just a few days or a few books added is the only qualification) can add any books and bookcovers they want (anything against policy or incomplete, librarians will edit). Goodreads is not only partially crowd-sourced but that crowd of readers might be the only source of data for rare, out of print, small university press, pre-isbn, limited edition, ... whatever books. It's how goodreads booklovers community grew to the millions of books and readers it now has (and in turn that audience is what attracts many authors and apparently even amazon).

message 35: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41036 comments Mod
Goodreads policy is NOT to change published covers, even if the book has been re-released with a new cover. Failing to follow Goodreads policies is a good way to lose librarian status.

Again, if a book has a new cover, we do not remove the old one (unless it was NEVER published). See http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1... and http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/85...

Paula's and Deon's edits were correct, and will be re-done.

As far as copyright issues with published covers: if the copyright holder wants a cover taken down, they'll need to use the Contact Us link on the Help page.

message 36: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 | 358 comments Paula and Deon's edits haven't been re-done...

message 37: by Deon (new)

Deon (deonva) | 3379 comments Experiment BL626 wrote: "Paula and Deon's edits haven't been re-done..."

I noticed that the reverts have been changed back. She is just going to revert them back.

She attached a note to all the books she would report edits as abuse. Seems like it would be a waste of my time and theirs at this point. But since she contacted support I figured it would be sorted out.

message 38: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Any librarian should feel free to repair the books to Goodreads standards. I cleared this with Support before posting yesterday.

message 39: by Alshia (new)

Alshia Moyez (Alshia_moyez) | 16 comments Deon wrote: "GR's policy is do not delete covers."

Misleading. The option is there next to the image of the book cover holder. It says "delete image". Had I know I wouldn't be able to ever have a cover deleted I wouldn't have uploaded the cover at all. I had to change some information on the cover, and the book has not been released yet. I really enjoy Goodreads but I'm curious as to why the option to delete is there if deletion is not even allowed? Is this a bait & switch?

message 40: by Renske (last edited Nov 10, 2013 01:52AM) (new)

Renske | 10507 comments The policy is to not delete published covers. If a book is not published, the cover image can be changed.
And it allowed to replaced an image with a better quality image of the same cover.
It is perhaps more practical if you start a new thread for help with your book.

message 41: by Kitty (new)

Kitty (catherine_sinclair) | 5 comments I really don't know if this is where I need to report this or not but this is not a book :

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

This is a podcast (a type of radio show) and there is no print version of this available to read. The show's creators have announced that they will be publishing a book, but as there is nothing currently available to read, this should be deleted.

message 42: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Kitty wrote: "I really don't know if this is where I need to report this or not but this is not a book :

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

This is a podcast (a type of radio sh..."

I reposted this in the delete thread. It's not really abuse...

message 43: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Actual abuse should be flagged or reporting via the Contact Us link on the Help page. But I agree, an incorrectly added item is not abuse.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.