Fun & Games discussion

Fun For You > On a Desert Island, You'd Bring -

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danna, Danna (new)

Danna | 7414 comments Mod
You are on a desert island. Which books do you bring? The limit is 10 books (fiction and non-fiction which are biographies, memoirs and so on). Say exactly why you've picked them.

Example: Briar's Books
Lord of the Flies by William Golding . Although it is not much of a survival manual, this book introduced me to such intense emotions of fear and I could feel the children's insanity. It will hopefully help me stay human, mentally.
On the other hand, it might freak me out.

The Odyssey by Homer . One of the greatest books ever to be written, a true masterpiece, 600 pages of completely awesome adventures. This is for pure fun, so I won't be bored.

*a truly hilarious book of some sort*

Last of the Amazons by Steven Pressfield . Because of girl power which will mentally help me undergo this tough situation.

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy . It's long enough, and because I never got around to read it.

WHAT'S YOURS?

message 2: by Silver (last edited Aug 02, 2013 06:33AM) (new)

Silver (mybookshack) Okay, this one is tough. I'll try though.

Fiction:

25 Favorite Kid's Books for Middle Young Adult Readers
The Hobbit And The Complete Lord Of The Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
Harry Potter Adult Boxed Set
The Complete Anne of Green Gables Boxed Set
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide: Five Complete Novels and One Story

Non-fiction:

Essays by George Orwell
SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea
The Complete Tightwad Gazette
Inside the Victorian Home: A Portrait of Domestic Life in Victorian England

The fiction books I've listed above are my favourites. And I've been wanting to read the above non-fiction. They're all huge tomes, so I assume they'll keep me entertained for months in the desert.

The only glitch in my plan is, I don't know how I'll cart these books around. Now that'd be a Herculean task.

message 3: by georgiabread (new)

georgiabread | 291 comments A how to survive on a desert island book
A book I've wanted to read to keep my mind off death
That's about it. Maybe a few other random books too

message 4: by Danna, Danna (new)

Danna | 7414 comments Mod
Gibble Gobble Gabble wrote: "A how to survive on a desert island book
A book I've wanted to read to keep my mind off death
That's about it. Maybe a few other random books too"

Examples would be great :)

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sammylancaster) | 112 comments How about I just slay the whole game and bring BOX SETS!!!! #swag
The Mortal Instruments Boxed Set: City of Bones; City of Ashes; City of Glass
If I Stay Collection
yeah that's all I got :D

message 6: by Beth (last edited Oct 12, 2015 11:24AM) (new)

Beth  | 421 comments The Lord of the Rings I've read this one over and over, and I could read it a thousand times more :) And it's a tale of hope, hardship, and victory. Some things you might need while all alone.

The Chronicles of Narnia This one is just my fav from childhood, and would give my that comfort of home.

The Illiad & the Odyssey Because it's a classic tale, which has spanned the millenniums :)

(BTW I have the above books in the compendium-style all-in-one hardback, so I'm counting them as singular)

Holy Bible: King James Version Because I'm a Christian, and this would give me courage and hope :)

Tschiffely's Ride: Ten Thousand Miles in the Saddle from Southern Cross to Pole Star Because it's one of my favorite books ever :)
As is Travels with Fortune - An African Adventure

And some books for when I get a little hungry or decide to leave my island paradise...

Hawke's Special Forces Survival Handbook: The Portable Guide to Getting Out Alive

SAS Survival Handbook: The ultimate guide to surviving anywhere

Hawke's Green Beret Survival Manual: Essential Strategies For: Shelter and Water, Food and Fire, Tools and Medicine, Navigation and Signaling, Survival Psychology and Getting Out Alive!

And lastly, Infinite Jest because I haven't read it yet, and it's a good, thick book :)

message 7: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 868 comments I would probably take either (they both make up more than 10 books together so I'll put either) the Harry Potter Boxset or A Song of Ice and Fire - A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, A Dance with Dragons. I love both (although I haven't read all of A Song of Ice and Fire yet) and I know I can re-read Harry Potter forever and the ASOIAF books are very long and complex so I'd be able to take my sweet time reading them.

message 8: by Jade (new)

Jade (jadeblade10) 9 books of anything Osho, so I do not lose my sanity. And of course my favourite book of all time, Stardust by Neil Gaiman, to make me laugh and feel somewhat loved.

message 9: by Kimberly (last edited Nov 12, 2017 10:26PM) (new)

Kimberly Hockaday | 20964 comments 1. The Swiss Family Robinson The family lived and survived on an island so I could get some amazing ideas from them. Also it would just be cool to read a book with a similar setting.

2.Island of the Blue Dolphins Loved this book growing up. It's about a young girl who gets stranded on an island and befriends dolphins. Great book and maybe I could use some ideas from the book.

3. Holy Bible: New International Version Really do not need to explain it but the bible would help me emotionally and spiritually.

4.100 Easy Camping Recipes This would definitely come in handy in not starving to death.

5. Any Harry Potter book. Reason is it has nothing to do with helping me survive the island. I have never read Harry Potter books and have always thought they were extremely thick even though I love to read. On a deserted island all I have is time so would read Harry Potter.

message 10: by Beverly (last edited Jan 26, 2018 08:36PM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 1290 comments A Bible, preferably New International Version: for comfort and inspiration
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien: best fantasy novel EVER
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis: best children's fantasy/Christian book EVER
Space Trilogy: Out of the Silent Planet / Perelandra / That Hideous Strength by C.S. Lewis
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
Heaven by Randy Alcorn
Resurrection: The Capstone in the Arch of Christianity by Hank Hanegraaff
What Ho! The best of P.G. Wodehouse

The Christian books for hope, comfort inspiration; the fiction books for when I get bored being alone on a desert island.