Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Anime > Akira (Anime)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 19 comments How would the anime Akira qualify as cyberpunk when it features psychic powers/telepathy? Wouldn't it fall under under fantasy, or at the most sci-fi fantasy? Also, there is no really sci-fi element in it.

message 2: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I've never actually seen or read Akira, so I can't say for certain. I have seen it labeled as cyberpunk on several sources. I'm also of the mind set that having magic doesn't make something fantasy. But that's just me. Have you watched Akira yet? I think that the best way to determine whether or not it fits the cyberpunk genre is to see it for yourself.

message 3: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 19 comments Yes, I did, and back to back with Ghost in the Shell, which was definitely cyberpunk. There is telepathy in the former, but little science and the telepathy shown is a natural talent, just like fantasy, having no scientific basis - also, there are no other scientific concepts explored. Which is why I find the label on Akira inappropriate and would like to know from others why it is classified even as sci-fi, leave aside cyberpunk.

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike | 389 comments I saw Akira so long ago I don't remember much, but I'd guess the sci-fi/cyberpunk designation came more from the manga that it adapts and the general setting than particular elements of the anime itself. Also, while I don't really agree, anything post-apocalyptic or dystopian tends to get labeled as sci-fi.

message 5: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 19 comments I get that - most people don't see that there can be a non-sci-fi post-apocalyptic/dystopian works too.